Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Stitching on Lay Outs        (Topic#1581421)
Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Dedra Long

I tried sewing on a LO for the first time the other night! With my sewing machine. It pretty much turned out as a disaster! I even practiced first! Anyone have some pointers? Also, I know I have seen people sew around stuff in a circle-how do you do that? 'Cuz that was what I wanted but I ended up with a football shape and plus, couldn't turn the paper all the way around because it was too big to fit under the machine! Like I said, it was pretty much a disaster!!!

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards

I would love to see one of these!!!

Dedra Long
Veteran
Dedra Long
In response to Kathy Edwards

I'll have to take a photo and post it.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I am going to look into the sew easy. I have wanted to sew on my layouts but I have been afraid to do so. Maybe I will try it with my paper piercer this weekend and see what happens.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

Hi Kathy, here is a layout I did for Christmas.
The titlle I used floss & hand sewed the title on the tags. The second page, I sewed around the journal box with my machine using my regular machine thread. I did use real ric rac but I used photo tape to adhere it. I only posted the first 2 pages.

[image] Christmas 1999 Pg 1 By Anda11http://[/image]

[image] Christmas 1999 pg 2 By Anda11http://[/image]

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I use all of the above......Bazzill templates. Sew Easy, and my sewing machine.....
I love the sewn garland tip! Thanks for that one!

Alison

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Babylou

• Babylou Said:
I tried sewing on a LO for the first time the other night! With my sewing machine. It pretty much turned out as a disaster! I even practiced first! Anyone have some pointers? Also, I know I have seen people sew around stuff in a circle-how do you do that? 'Cuz that was what I wanted but I ended up with a football shape and plus, couldn't turn the paper all the way around because it was too big to fit under the machine! Like I said, it was pretty much a disaster!!!

Well, sewing small circles is pretty difficult. You have to stop, going around the curve, with your needle IN the paper, lift up the foot, swivel the paper, put the foot down and start sewing again slowly, repeat as necessary.....but go really slowly.
Larger circles are easier but I still do them a bit sloppily....I like the way that looks (like the layout below)....

Alison

Friends By Kiyawinn

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

• Dedra Long Said:
For the paper garlands, I pick out my favorite patterned papers. Then I pick my favorite punches and punch the shapes out. Next, I make stacks next to my sewing machine so they are easy to grab while I'm using the sewing machine.
Then you grab wax paper or parchment paper and tear off as much as you need (depending on how long you want your garland). Start feeding the wax paper through your sewing machine and while your stitching the wax paper add your punched shapes into the stitch. You can add them close together, are far apart or both.
After the punched shapes are stitched onto the wax paper you turn the paper over and start pulling one side away from the stitch. Surprisingly, it pulls away from the stitch pretty easy.
After both side have been pulled off, you will have a stitched garland.
I love using papers with specialty finishes. It makes the garlands very pretty.

Sorry for the long instructions and hopefully they make sense. Good luck!

Thats sounds cool. I will save this in my favs for later

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

I hand stitch using 2 strands of embroidery thread. I use a hand piercer and have just purchased a fabulous circle template for holes. I do have a machine but just have'nt taken the first step to sewing on my LO's. My hubby hates it when I do sew on pages as he reckons I don't sew buttons on shirts but will happily stich away on a lay out. I personally don't see any problem.. do you girls?? cheers for now.

Edited by ajsophios62 on 10-06-12 12:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva

I love the look but don't use it too much. EMbroidery floss and most of the time, I will make my own stencil.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-09-12 06:14 AM
In response to ajsophios62

• ajsophios62 Said:
I hand stitch using 2 strands of embroidery thread. I use a hand piercer and have just purchased a fabulous circle template for holes. I do have a machine but just have'nt taken the first step to sewing on my LO's. My hubby hates it when I do sew on pages as he reckons I don't sew buttons on shirts but will happily stich away on a lay out. I personally don't see any problem.. do you girls?? cheers for now.

I don't see any problem. But just to be fair, how about you propose a trade. You'll sew his shirt buttons if he'll sew your LO. Or, you can each just sew your own things (he his own shirt buttons and you your LOs)... LOL my hubby sews my buttons and irons my clothes anyway so I might have a slightly different perspective. My DH actually taught me how to sew so that I could sew my pages.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Vae

Here's my very first page I stitched. I did it just after I read this thread. I stitched the bug trails that were already on the paper. I thought it turned out nice.
My little person By Lunareclipse

Edited by Lunareclipse on 10-09-12 08:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Lunareclipse

I hand-stitched across the top of this page using red embroidery floss, stitching over the fake stitches printed on the patterned paper.

"Countdown to Christmas" mini-album - December 8 By Aquabunny

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

I sew with my pens

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kim222

Yes, I tried it a few times. The machine stitching attempt didn't show up properly which annoyed me, and blunted my good needle.

I had great fun wasting hours cross-stitching all round 4 squares on one LO which looked gorgeous but I'll admit I have never finished that page.

Then for a "stitch your title" challenge, I poked holes for the letters and stitched them by hand with tapestry wool - exactly 3 words of 3-4 letters each, and it took AGES and my neck was killing me for days afterwards. That was the last time.

I love the look though, and I often do faux-stitching.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

I may use my sewing machine but I do prefer to do handmade stiching.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I also use the Sew Easy. Before I got it, I used a blunt needle, a handmade template and crafting floss. Whenever I have pulled out my sew easy at retreats or scrapping nights, there is at least one person that is like, wait--you're SEWING on your LO? I am always amazed that people don't know about Scrapbook.com and all the LOs you can browse! That's how I learned about faux stitching and then the Sew Easy tool!

ETA: If I don't feel like pulling my Sew Easy tool(s) out, I use my pens!

Edited by MrsD2008 on 10-10-12 05:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to MrsD2008

WOW love all the cool ideas!!!! thanks

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I have no sewing talent....NONE.
But I am now trying! Found the perfect EASY machine!!!

Here is a blog post about- trust me- if I can do it....anyone can!!!!

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have a Sew Easy, I should use it more and I also have a machine. Never tried a machine on paper but I should. I like both, to me hand stitching and machine look entirely different and I like both.

The waxed paper idea is great to know about! Great tip! Did you put that in tip section?

I love Rachie Babe's layouts here. Her stitching is hand done and it is always amazing. She uses embroidery floss. When I see her work I think I need to step it up a notch!

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics