Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Looking for some scrappy friends in the Hudson Valley, NY        (Topic#1581545)
Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

Hey all! Who is out there from the Hudson Valley in NY??? I am in Kingston, NY and wonder who is around me to chat with, share ideas, and maybe even get together and scrap!! I would love a friend or two around here who shares my passion!!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

I wish, but I'm on the other side all the way in Long Island, NY (bummer!). Please feel free to add me, we can always be friends and share ideas in here and who knows, maybe one of these days we could get together somewhere in the middle.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

This is such a large forum, and I know there are scrappers out there, I just can't find'em!! Gigi, where do you live?

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
Gigi, where do you live?

I'm all of way in Sayville, NY near The Hamptons. Have you heard of Fire Island?.....Way too far from you unfortunately!!!

Sayville

Sayville II

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

I know that someone from college way back when came from Sayville...we used to joke that everyone said "I'm from Long Island" as if it were another state...and two Long Islanders getting together were always saying "I'm ten minutes from you in_______". In SUNY Brockport, we thought all Long Islanders lived 10 min from anywhere. My sister went to Stonybrook, so that's about as far out as I have been. I also had a sorority sister in Port Jeff (really the same place, no?) and visited her once.

Kingston is about halfway up the Hudson River on the Thruway, Exit 19. Right between NYC and Albany. Very pretty, and as you can see by my signature, very historical.

How long have you been scrapping? How many kids, any other hobbies?

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

Ha, that's funny....Now that you mentioned, it's true. We always are or live 10 mins from so and so....lol!

And no, Port Jeff is not the same. It's part of long island as well but different town...lol! My father went to Stony Brook back in the 60's and my son's granny lives in Cobleskill all the way up there in Schoharie County....Too far for me, IMO!!

Anyway, I started "collecting" things before my son was born in 2007 and then went from there. I took my breaks in between and got at it again in a more serious way a few years ago. Now I want to focus more on card making, embossing, letraset promarkers or copics, sewing and whatnot. You know, I want to learn more techniques and this site and YouTube has been very helpful. I'm a single mommy to a wonderful boy (almost 5 years old in a couple of months), full time employee for a pharmaceutical company and just 3 weeks ago completed my MBA. Not easy but I did it!!

Scrapping has helped me through rough patches in my life. Keeps me out of trouble and my sanity intact. It's my happy place where I can be messy, creative, spontaneous, crazy and most of all, be me. What 'bout you?

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

Well, I dabbled in scrapping about 15 years ago and dropped it because life got busy, but picked it up again last spring...mostly because I take photos of my son almost daily, and i had to do something to corral the thousands of photos. My son will be 4 this coming Monday, Oct 15. I live with my boyfriend of 7 years, Joaquin, Juanies dad.

Right now I am finishing up a great, fun job at a state museum in Kingston, it is seasonal so I will pick it back up in April. I plan to go back to substitute teaching for the winter, which is ok, but wish it were more $$ n benefits.

Congrats on your degree, that is a great accomplishment!! I never went n got my masters, n don;t miss it. I don't even feel like it would have helped me get a teaching job...not where I live anyway.

Gotta read the boy a goodnite story, will catch back up later!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
Well, I dabbled in scrapping about 15 years ago and dropped it because life got busy, but picked it up again last spring...mostly because I take photos of my son almost daily, and i had to do something to corral the thousands of photos. My son will be 4 this coming Monday, Oct 15. I live with my boyfriend of 7 years, Joaquin, Juanies dad.

Right now I am finishing up a great, fun job at a state museum in Kingston, it is seasonal so I will pick it back up in April. I plan to go back to substitute teaching for the winter, which is ok, but wish it were more $$ n benefits.

Congrats on your degree, that is a great accomplishment!! I never went n got my masters, n don;t miss it. I don't even feel like it would have helped me get a teaching job...not where I live anyway.

Gotta read the boy a goodnite story, will catch back up later!

Good luck with the teaching job and wish baby Juan a very Happy Bday from Ethan and I!!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

Gigi, thats funny you called him Baby Juan, that was our first nickname for him, or Juancito. One of my girlfriends sons mixed the names up & started calling him Babycito...It stuck for years...

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

Oh, Babycito is funny...lol!!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

I just joined an organization bootcamp webinar, full of organizing/scrap related challenges put on by Creating Keepsakes mag or something...its free, starts tues pm, but you don't have to watch live to join. I will pm the link to you if you want!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

Yes, yes...the more the merrier! I'm always looking to learn and watch demos, new techniques and whatnot. Send it my way please!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GIGIGI30

I am in the Hudson Valley, but a good hour or more south of Kingston

I'm in Rockland County, NY right on the NJ border

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to madmatter

Hi Madmatter! Nice to meet you! What town in Rockland county do you live in?

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Ladies, How did you fare in the storm?? Everyone safe?

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

We're still here...safe and sound. We just lose power on Monday afternoon 'till Tuesday evening and then yesterday for a couple of hours. The fence on both side of the house came down as well as a few branches but nothing serious.

The only bad thing was driving to work for two days in a road and just be sent home a couple of hours later due to no power or heat. Luckily my boss called me last night and told me that I didn't have to go today. People are being very generous everywhere. The gym that I go to is open to anyone with no power to go and use the showers and charge their electronics, my son's school is allowing people to go there to use the phones, internet, hot coffee and donuts and tonight they're having lasagna for everyone who needs a hot meal. I offered my apartment to my co-workers that are not so lucky with the power. It's small but whatever we can do to help.

We're New Yorkers and in situations like this, we stay strong. Now, the gas at the pump is another horror story. Miles and miles of cars waiting on line and when they get there, the gas stations are running out. It's crazy. What 'bout you ladies? Hope is everyone is safe!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to GIGIGI30

Glad to hear you are ok without real damage. We made out fine, the storm was nothing like we expected. I didn't think the rain or wind we got was bad at all. 2 flickers of the lights n tv, but didn't even affect the clocks or VCR (Yes I still have a DVD/VCR, Juanie loves his Disney movies I get at yard sales for a song!).

I just can't believe the devastation in NYC and NJ...just unbelievable!! Wish I could help but by doing what, you know? I have reached out to the few people I know in Staten Island and NJ, but they are pretty much ok but for electric.

Anyway, I have some questions for you...I have been looking at a cricut, but after reading a bit on this site, I actually think now I want a silhouette, probably a cameo. Am I correct that you have one? I like the idea of no carts, as most of the cricut carts have stuff I just feel I would never use. I need something to cut titles, like words and phrases, and pretty die cut shapes. I have seen that I can download from the silhouette store, but do I have to wait to download until I buy a machine or can I start getting the freebie of the day ones now? or start purchasing them now? Have you had any problems with the machine, and how easy was it to master? Thanks!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Juansmom

I'm in Suffern, right on the Jersey border

we are ok, but the area is still in deep trouble ... schools are (theoretically) opening on Monday, many of my friends are still without power/heat, and the gas lines are seriously frightening

my oldest is supposed to go back to college in Manhattan on Wednesday, but the path train is still down, so we're not sure how he will get into the city

glad you ladies are ok

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:

Anyway, I have some questions for you...I have been looking at a Cricut, but after reading a bit on this site, I actually think now I want a silhouette, probably a cameo. Am I correct that you have one? I like the idea of no carts, as most of the Cricut carts have stuff I just feel I would never use. I need something to cut titles, like words and phrases, and pretty die cut shapes. I have seen that I can download from the silhouette store, but do I have to wait to download until I buy a machine or can I start getting the freebie of the day ones now? or start purchasing them now? Have you had any problems with the machine, and how easy was it to master? Thanks!!

I used to have the Cricut Create, that's the second one on the series. I sold everything on eBay including cartridges and whatnot to save for the Cameo. Definitely go for the Cameo. I bought a Cameo thru Oh My Crafts, Inc. which allow you to use a coupon of 25% off. What a nightmare! I waited 2 long months to later find out that they didn't even have the machine in stock 'cause they haven't pay the shipment to Silhouette America. A ripoff. They cancelled my order after I complained and only refunded me the money after I threatened to talk to my attorney and report them to the BBB and FTC which I did. I got so depressed after that, I haven't been able to do anything crafty. I sold pretty much all my scrappy items to save up for the Cameo and they ripped me off and now I don't have any electric die cut machine. I should have read all the bad feedback that they have before I did it. Sooo, stay away from them if you want a Cameo. Buy from Amazon, it's more reliable, the prices are great and shipping is always free if you have a Prime Membership like I do.

Anyway, I've watched so many YouTube on how the Cameo works that when I have enough save up (hopefully for Christmas!), I'll definitely be able to handle it. If you know the basic functions on a computer, you're pretty much good to go. Of course, there is learning curve to it like everything else but you should be fine. I also have MTC (Make the Cut) that is a software that allow you to work with SVG, GSD, JPEG, etc. that you already have on your computer or buy or download free from the internet and also let you design your own shapes and cuts and work wonders with the Cameo so I don't have the need to buy the most expensive Silhouette Design Studio.

Yes, definitely download the Silhouette Studio Software from Silhouette America which is free and start downloading the free shape of the week every Tuesday and you can start practice that way. Nothing prevent you from use the free software while you wait for the machine. I also bought a special on Plum District valued @ $30 for like $18 which I can use to buy die cuts from the Silhouette Store. Clearance shapes goes on sales every Tuesday as well sometimes for like 25, 50 or 75ยข each. Plum District always have those sales, I'll keep you posted when I see it again.

Also, they have the new one which is a smaller version of the Cameo more like the original Silhouette call Silhouette Portrait. It's only $199, cuts 8.5" x 11" but doesn't have the display screen like the cameo. Something to think about if you're in a budget or don't have enough room. I like the Cameo better 'cause give you the option to cut 12" x 12".

Sorry 'bout the long post!. Please let us know what you decided to do. Any other question, I'll try to answer accordingly.

PS:. These are some helpful videos...Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQ84O8o33I&a mp;feature=... (This video really did it for me, she explained everything so clear!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfoQZIIe9mY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8gW_E37xg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ok-QH0a87E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9K2fMOrCAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_yJ1Zv_dCM (I lover her! She got a whole series of videos just for the Cameo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTVBHLTowVw

meryle721
Tenant
meryle721
In response to GIGIGI30

Hi Ladies, I live in Brooklyn NY. We have a lot of ladies in our group that are in Long Island both suffolk and Nassaw. We also have a LARGE group from Newburg. In fact, someone hosts events near Stuart Airport if that is close to you. We, Croppers Delight NYC host events in Mahwah NJ, Elmsford NY, Staten Island NY and Poconos PA. If you would like more information on us please visit our meet up group at http://www.meetup.com/croppersdelightnyc/

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics