Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Anyone in any of these places?        (Topic#1581547)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We are leaving on a cruise on Friday, October 26th out of Quebec. In fact the ship doesn't actually leave until 5PM on Saturday the 27th but we embark on the 26th and spend the night on the ship.

Here are the ports and if you live in any of these places - maybe we can catch up. We will be doing all the touristy sightseeing things and if you have suggestions of things for us to do while in the area - that would be great too.

(And my husband is not adverse to me stopping in a few scrapbook stores as long as we still do the sightseeing.)

Oct 29 - Sydney, NS, Canada
Oct 30 - Halifax, NS, Canada
Oct 31 - Bar Harbor, ME
Nov 1 - Boston, MA
Nov 2 - Newport, RI
Nov 3 - Brooklyn, NY
Nov 5 - Charleston, SC
Nov 7th - we end up in Ft. Lauderdale

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Henri Jean

I won't be anywhere near you, but I wanted to wish you a marvellous time! Do you get a chance to craft on the ship? I know you spend a lot of time on cruises - I just wondered?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to RedSquirrel

Not sure what is open in Newport in November, but if it is, check out Rosecliff or the Breakers for Mansion tours. Those are two of the more well known and impressive mansions that the Historical Society owns.

As far as food goes, Brick Alley Pub on Thames street used to have the best nachos ever.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Ohhhh......I am just missing u in Halifax. That is only 3 hrs fom me but we go the following weekend. Quebec city is gorgeous. A tour of old Quebec is essential. Halifax has a great waterfront and you could tour the Alexander Keith's brewery. Have a great time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PhotobearSam

Thanks for the suggestions Liz and Samantha.

Bill's grandmother was from Boston (Brighton) and we visited her there once when we were kids (teenages) and we did the Paul Revere Trail (Freedom Trail), Salem, Plymouth Rock, - pretty much everything the week we were there but that was 40 years ago (okay, 42). I want to do some of those things again and this time - take pictures.

Love nachos! Will put that on my list. We love to check out waterfront areas so glad to know Halifax has a good one.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to PhotobearSam

Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. It's a great way to the see the city and visit it's history. A few of the stops, if you choose, have admission. Otherwise, it's free to just walk it. If you google it, it shows you the route and the stops on it.

If walking is not an option, you can take a trolley tour.

Quincy Market (Fanueil Hall) has nice little shops and food galore.

Harvard Yard!!!!!

Have lunch at Cheers on Beacon Hill or upstairs at the Hampshire House. Just up the hill is the State House.

Across the street stroll through the Boston Common.

Shopping on Newbury Street is around the corner.

All of these are along the Freedom Trail, or just a short walk.

What I love about Boston, is that it's such a walkable city.

I'm about 30 minutes north of Boston, on the coastal border of NH.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to NonnasLove

Henri, you and I were posting at the same time. Saw that you did the Freedom Trail!

With the Big Dig, you'll see some changes. Mostly in the routes.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

I live in Long Island, NY 'bout 45 minutes to an hour from Brooklyn. Don't forget to stop @ Junior's for the best cheesecake in the whole world....It's perfection that melts in your mouth!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GIGIGI30

I can't believe Bill and I went to Boston so long ago and didn't take one picture. Just can't believe it. I can't wait to see everything again.

We saw one of the famous cemeteries (I love to see cemeteries) and made rubbings of some of the headstones although I don't think they allow that anymore. Wish I knew what happened to them.

There really is a pub called Cheers? Did it inspire the tv show or did the tv show inspire the pub?

I am going to print out all of these notes and then get ideas of what to do. I know we will do some of the things suggested.

Cheesecake. My favorite! We don't normally buy food off the ship because my husband feels we are then paying for it twice - which is true. But maybe he will bend and buy me a piece of cheesecake.

The only exception is if we get so far from the ship we will loose our sightseeing time back-tracking to go to the ship to eat. Then we look for fast food or fish & chips or something quick.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

What fun you have traveling! Boston is such a fun city to explore. A lot of great places have been mentioned. Two more that I would recommend is the New England Aquarium and a great bakery called Mikes Pastry. Mikes Pastry is located in North East Boston near Paul Revere's house. Happy Travels!

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

We had lunch at Cheers too! Great lunch spot!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

We love aquariums and try to visit a lot of them. We've been to aquariums in Barcelona and Australia and Japan - one of our favorite things to do. Just visited the aquarium in Seattle. Fun place.

Will keep Mike's pasty in mind!

If Cheers is close enough to the ship to go back then BIll will want to do that but we can still take pictures. If its far from the ship it may be a great place to eat!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

There is a Cheers in Halifax.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to corrie fan

Hi, Jane. Miss you!

If you go to Cheers (before the show we referred to it as The Bull and Finch Pub) don't expect it to look like the TV version. The outside is the same but, the inside is different with the placement of the bar. They replicated the outside on a set. I love how you walk downstairs (outside) just like on the show.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.cheersboston.com/main_locations_beacon hill.h...

If you scroll down you'll see a link to click on for "History". It gives you the story on how the series came to be.

Being Italian, how could I forget Mike's Pastry? We always complete a trip to Boston with Mike's. Love, love. love their cannoli's. Some great restaurants in the North End also.

Link to Freedom Trail:
http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Henri, would love to hear if you make it to any of these sites.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thsnk you so much for the links Pat - going to chedck them out now!

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens

I hope you guys have a great time, it sounds like you will have many places to scrapbook. I am not from Charleston but I have been a couple of times. My Mom lives about 3 hours inland from there. Anyway, if you guys have time take one of the horse drawn carriages rides. They really tell you a lot of info. about the history of Charleston. I am sure you will hear a lot about this place too, but make a visit to the market downtown. They usually have a lot of neat things. And if you get hungry you can always stop in to Bubba Gumps for lunch. Enjoy your trip!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to lifethroughalens

Bubba Gumps are always good! I want to try Hyman's Seafood but Bill said we will do that sometimes when we are driving through - he doens't like to buy meals when they are paid for ont he ship. I guess I can live with that although so often I really want to try local restaurants!

I had not thought of a horse-drawn carriage ride. We did that in Victoria Canada and it was wonderful!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to lifethroughalens

I'm in Queens, one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, bordering on Brooklyn. It's a big city and it takes time to get around. If you're in Brooklyn, you may want to hop on a subway to Manhattan for sightseeing. Which part of Brooklyn will you be in?

Diva
In response to Solitaire

Not me, I live in Orlando, FL. Have fun! Take tons of pictures!

CarrieTS
Tenant
CarrieTS
In response to bayamonesa1

Not close to any of those stops but wanted to wish you a great time on your trip and safe travels.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics