Username Post: Help with die cutting machines        (Topic#1581573)
New Kid On the Block

I REALLY need some help!! I used to scrap quite often when my 7 year old was born, but as he and his older brothers have grown up and all play sports, I just didn't have time. I now have a Senior in High School and wanted to surprise him with a Scrapbook of his entire Senior year. Back when I scrapped, for alphabet I would either trace and cut (real pain and time consuming) or use stickers or stamps. I am now looking to make it a little easier on myself this time around and am needing help finding the perfect die cutting machine for my needs. I am basically more interested in alphabets, numbers and phrases more than anything. I have surfed the web hours on end looking at sizzix, cricut, etc and just don't know which one would be best for my needs.....and without spending a fortune on it at that. Can anyone recommend the die cutting machine that would be best for my needs??

ScrapbookingJunkie
Tenant
ScrapbookingJunkie
In response to Rysmom05

I can't compare but I love my Cricut, but it can be quite expensive with having to buy cartridges. Coming up with a quick name in any size from 1/4 to 12 in is very handy.

www.kristinclosetomyheart.blogspot.com
Products Referenced in This Post:

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ScrapbookingJunkie

I love my cricut. there are several websites that sell the carts very cheaply...you have to google.
My most used machine is my big shot. I do have some alpha dies for it but I use it to emboss and to die cut. I love all the stamping up dies and folders that coordinate with stamp sets!!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to binkiemonstermom

I don't know how much these things are where you live, but the cheapest option I would recommend would be a Cuttlebug or other manual die cutter, and die sets such as the Tim Holtz alphabet strip. I use mine all the time.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to RedSquirrel

I find I always use my Big Shot with alphabet dies. I found most of them on sale and on eBay..I don't think I paid over $20 for any of them..I have Sizzix, Sizzlets, Kwikutz, Cuttlebug...they all work on the BigShot. Plus the BigShot will cut all the Spellbinders and Sizzix shapes. I never even think about using my Klik n Kut anymore!

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to bigredssw

I've had both the cricut expression and the silhouette cameo. After I got the cameo, I got rid of my cricut...I LOVE my Cameo. It is computer based (instead of cartridges), but that wasn't a problem with me. I got mine as a gift, which is the only reason I have a cameo, but I love it much, much more than the expression. It cuts more precisely and the basic program is free. The only downside is the mats are a bit expensive (though they do last awhile), and so are the cutting blades. I definitely recommend the cameo! The silhouette brand is so awesome!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to snoflake517

Yes, as the poster said above, I have never spend more than $20 on set of alpha dies....sizzix has them on clearance on their website quite often.

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

Cricut for me and if you have very good friends in scrapbooking, you may be able to borrow their cartridges. Sometimes the LSS will have them available to use with a nominal fee, so you don't have to commit to buy it until you really try it! That is what I did!

sharona62
Tenant
sharona62
In response to bayamonesa1

I have a cricut and a big shot. Use big shot for embossing and cutting heavier materials such as chipboard, grunge board, plastic, etc. The cricut is great for alphabets and cutting shapes in different sizes. Cricut now has online craft room where you can download cartridges.

Kasima
Kasima 
Veteran
Kasima
In response to sharona62

I got the cricut expression and Gypsy first,then the big shot,and now the cameo...I love my cameo it seems to cut better than my cricut..And i use my cameo with the MTC program which lets you do so much more with it...I like to emboss with my big shot and it is quicker to use .. I have tons of cartridges for my Cricut which is why i keep it, it has also come in handy for my kids school projects..I would definately recommend the gypsy with the cricut though..

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics