Page 4 of 5 
Username Post: Whar do you do when you have too much stuff?        (Topic#1581615)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to timon

I will try!!!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to timon

Lol I just got raided by DD's friend. My dd was upstairs asking to use something and her friend helped herself to some of my good stuff. We had a talk and I have lots but I wouldn't want it happening again.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mia1979

organizing really helped me maintain my huge stash. I agree with the others... there is no such thing as too much. lol

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:

• t-scraps Said:
Take the photos you want to scrap to the store with you and only purchase items for those layouts.

This is how I hope to someday scrap! Not only do I think I would enjoy shopping more (with a focused purpose)...But, I also think I would be much more productive (with much better seen results!)

This is what I realized in the past week as I am trying to put page kits together for my upcoming weekend crop....

I have a lot of stuff (not going to say TOO much, but yes, it probably is), the stuff is pretty and I like/love most of it. HOWEVER, the pretty paper that I just had to have doesn't match any photos I want to work on.

Based on how I scrap, I really need to buy supplies based on the pics. I am more of a themed scrapper, meaning my paper and embellies have to match the theme of pics. I've always been that way and don't see myself changing. So while that pack of distressed/vintage/steamp unk is wonderful and on my shelf, it doesn't match the photos of my DS learning to ride his bike without training wheels to me.

So once I use up some of my stash and get my pictures more organized, I am going to attempt to shop that way.

The pp that I have had for 10 years that I'm sick of looking at will remain in my stash because I know the stacks by heart and actually just pulled a sheet for a LO I'm going to do. It's also great for cards. And furthermore, most styles/colors come back around again right? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • t-scraps Said:

• t-scraps Said:
Take the photos you want to scrap to the store with you and only purchase items for those layouts.

This is how I hope to someday scrap! Not only do I think I would enjoy shopping more (with a focused purpose)...But, I also think I would be much more productive (with much better seen results!)

This is what I realized in the past week as I am trying to put page kits together for my upcoming weekend crop....

I have a lot of stuff (not going to say TOO much, but yes, it probably is), the stuff is pretty and I like/love most of it. HOWEVER, the pretty paper that I just had to have doesn't match any photos I want to work on.

Based on how I scrap, I really need to buy supplies based on the pics. I am more of a themed scrapper, meaning my paper and embellies have to match the theme of pics. I've always been that way and don't see myself changing. So while that pack of distressed/vintage/steamp unk is wonderful and on my shelf, it doesn't match the photos of my DS learning to ride his bike without training wheels to me.

I am also heavy into using the theme of the pictures, but for me, steampunk stuff has been really great for bicycling stuff because of all the gears.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

Aquabunny - OK I agree on that one. Maybe the bike riding was a bad example...

...off to check if I picked paper for those pics yet.

Nani17 
New Kid On the Block
In response to pugs223

I thought "she who dies with the most scrapbooks stuff wins."

When I'm in a scrapbook store, which there is no reason for because I do my regular scrapbooks digital, but when I'm in a scrapbook store, I will always pick up anything with a chocolate, coffee or baseball theme. Really, how many coffee pages will I ever do? I've decided to start a Smash Book with all of the paper and embellishments I've had sitting in my craft room for 5 years. Only problem is I need covers and binding for my Smash-style book and I'm already thinking about the other supplies I'll "need" for my new project!

-Nani

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to Kathy Edwards

I had a friend who was a miisionary at an orphanage. They gladly took any leftover supplies as they make a scrapbook for every child. I cleaned out my stash and sent it to her. Teachers, senior centers, daycares would also appreciate extra supplies.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 10-14-12 11:41 AM
In response to Castle Scrapper

Another good place to donate are catholic schools. I switched to digital and gave ALL of my paper scrapping stuff to the school. Tools, cutters, pp, stamps, everything. I tell you it was such a relief. I went to this particular school for 8 years and my 2 grandgirls are going there now.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to fknapoleon

Thanks for the idea to make page kits. This would save me a lot of time and would probably save me the trouble of finding the cute embellie for a particular layout AFTER the page is complete.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to arteshamac

I have also started buying things in kits since I have joined this website. That has been really helpful, as well. But since I can't part with my pre scrapbook.com pp's then I will make kits...

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I have a couple boxed SEI kits that I havent used much if any. But I have been looking @ the Studio Calico kits and they are cute I just havent purchased any before.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Mia1979

Where do you get Studio Calico kits from? This website? You know I still have soooo much to learn and I love learning from everyone on this site!

Diva
In response to timon

Funny...no matter how much you have, most of the time you don't the "perfect" thing for that "page...so you have to go and get it!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to bayamonesa1

So true...lol!

New Kid On the Block

I have given up worrying abou the size of my stash.....I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't overindulge in expensive takeaways or junk food. What I do do....is shop for scrappy supplies. It's what makes me happy.

In the past I tried the no buying challenge and failed. That was until I refined it for me. What I do is to pay myself for completed layouts and cards.
This money goes into a tin for when I do have a spend up. I pay myself $2 for a layout and 50c for a card. ( now generally my layouts cost about $10 ....so you can see how this system has a dwindling effect on my supplies) adhesives and album supplies do not count...they are free purchases, ie not out of the tin .

I also teach classes weekly, so those supplies are exempt as well......but I just buy what I need to teach....no extras unless I have scrapped layout $ into the bank.
Make sense? Works for me....gives me incentive to scrap, but I am not having to wait til the magical number of layouts has been completed that the other system people use has.

I find a lot of my layouts I do are quite product heavy.....and I often use ugly paper from my "what on earth was I thinking?" Pile to build the layers on top of.

Diva
In response to kiwifarmer

I like your system! Makes sense. Funny way to look at having so much stuff....

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to Mia1979

Look at schools , kindys or nursing homes ect. Get your friends together or make up kits as gifts. Or have a garage sale ...

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to ajsophios62

I don't worry about having too much stuff. You can't ever really have TOO much scrappy stuff lol

I do periodically go thru my stash. The stuff I don't want I give to my coworker for her daughter who scraps

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Thanks Donna, for resurrecting this post, even if it was only a few weeks ago.

I just received an email from Creating Keepsakes Magazine (I subscribe by mail and digitally to the mag) inviting me to join the webinar, Organizational Bootcamp, they are offering (Starts tonite!).

It is hosted by the woman who invented the Scraprack, a way to organize embellies, but you don't have to own or purchase one to benefit from this webinar.

You can google Scraprack Organization Bootcamp and click on the link with Tiffany Spauldings name, will bring you to a page where you can register. She is basically gonna get you to organize your staash, craft room, whatever, so it is easy to find stuff and workable, and, purge the stuff you (gulp) no longer need/want.

There is also a facebook page that you can join with the group. Check it out, if anyone wants the link, PM me!

Page 4 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics