Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Can you imagine        (Topic#1581619)
moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

What Hoarders Buried Alive would be like if a scrapbooker was the subject of an intervention?

I'm envisioning a screaming fit "You can't throw that out, that's the memorabilia pile for 18,000 projects that I haven't finished yet" or someone managing to open a closet door only to have all different bottles and boxes of adhesives pour out...

What do you envision?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to moxiegirl23

Oh yeh - and patterned paper stacked to the ceiling. "Don't touch that - it's all sorted!"

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to dwelch

"I totally plan on learning to use that mountain of supplies that are still in their original packaging!"

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to moxiegirl23

there was an episode of hoarders with a woman who had scrapbooking supplies as well as other craft supplies. There was a scene where she was going through all of her magazines trying to decide which ones to discard. It was very sad because she really needed to discard them all. But she was REALLY trying and her family members who were helping her were extremely gracious.

I was really impressed with her family members. They got her through this ordeal allowing her to "save face". Often these events (cleaning a hoarder's house) are a big family "dog pile of criticism" on the hoarder.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Lord help us!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to Mia1979

Let it be known that I fully admit I am a Craft "HOARDER"

Expert
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
Oh yeh - and patterned paper stacked to the ceiling. "Don't touch that - it's all sorted!"

And what's wrong with patterned paper stacked to the ceiling? ha ha ha

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to deedee49

My DH calls me a hoarder....of craft stuff. I'm really pretty OCD organized and I love to throw away, but he says there is more stuff packed in that room than the whole house. LOL. But at least I know where it is.

After my mother passed away, I had her cedar chest and one of my own. One evening I decided to empty them both and organize them. I put the things from my parents and other ancestors in one (with everything labeled as to who it belonged to) and my kids stuff and our HS and wedding stuff in another. I kept looking around for the Hoarders film crew, because I had spread out through the whole house.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to SherylEb

When people ask what my hobby is....I reply "Collecting scrapbook supplies!" LOL

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to bigredssw

(While unpacking moving boxes & sorting through Christmas card & crafting supplies) I was actually thinking this very thing.

1. Not only could I NOT make those quick 2 second decisions to throw things away (such as old cards, pictures, papers, etc)...

2. But I could also NOT throw away craft supplies, misc plastics, papers, metals, beads, ribbons, fibers, fabrics (otherwise identified as clever embellishments!)

3. I'm one of those people that would want to touch everything, label, sort, organize & at least hope to donate anything that I wasn't allowed to keep. Granted, my stuff isn't stacked to the ceiling, providing nesting material for mice or growing layers of deadly mold (like most on the show!)

4. I think the main thing (for my would-be viewing audience), would be the 'why'. Why are you keeping bottlecaps, playing cards, game pieces, zippers, maps, colored paperclips, magnet strips, plastics, foams, fake feathers, fabrics, ribbons, etc, etc.

(The non-scrapbooking audience) would certainly think that we're all nuts.

(But, let's face it though, most already do anyhow!)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I can't remember which episode, but there was 1 where the lady actually stopped into a scrapbook store.

Not only did she buy doubles while she was there, but during the discussion she mentioned that she hadn't actually scrapbooked in years & or that she had only ever completed 2 pages. (Yes, that's right. Count em...2. 1, 2!)

Yet, there she was, buying paper & hoarding away.

* Anytime I think I have too much stuff, I just watch hoarders & think..."My goodness! At least I'm not that bad!"

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to KellyCali

This show cuts close to home for me, literally. My mom is a hoarder, I'd like to say not as bad as what you see on TV, but really that's just not true. We all joke about our stash and how large it is, and I have seen pics of some scraprooms and YES, many of us HAVE A LOT...

My mom has been knitting, sewing and doing various needlework projects since she was 13, she is now 66. She has also collected this whole time. She has NEVER thrown away a pattern magazine, or for that matter any magazine with "a good project in it". She has yarn and fabric from stores that CLOSED in the late 70's. She has more Yarn than you could shake a stick at. In fact, she outgrew her original sewing room, and as the three of us kids moved out, she systematically filled each of our bedrooms with her stuff. Now that all the bedrooms are filled, and by filled I mean up to 5 and 6 feet high in some places, she has for the last few years begun filling the living room.

I recently put all her "New" mags in giant boxes, there are now 7 stacked in the living room. She sometimes has to peer around piles to view the TV. There is room for one body on the couch, hers...the rest is filled with the lastest 5 projects, all with knitting or crochet needles sticking out, junk mail, mags and catalogs.

I forgot to mention she also hoards childrens toys "("I thought you kids collected them"), kitchen tools, and clothes. She has filled all our closets with them, and she doesn't have to dress for work anymore, as she is retired. She also still food shops for a family of 6, although we have all moved out...What to save in a fire? Who knows...you can't get to it!!

I think part of her problem is she was raised by a mother who lived through the depression in Scotland, and never had things as a child. Things were saved for later, pennies were pinched. My grandmother saved sugar packets and napkins from McDonalds, once we were baking and she ran out of sugar...she managed to FIND ENOUGH PACKETS IN HER DRAWER TO MAKE A FULL CUP OF SUGAR!!! (She taught us math AND homemaking skills!)

The moral of this story, is that I realize I have hoarding tendencies, and constantly FIGHT IT!!! I like to have everything on hand, I am not a "run to the market 'cause we are out of..." kind of gal. If I see a tool, sticker, paper, etc that I want, I buy it. My stash is currently controlled but growing...

Diva
In response to Juansmom

For me it may turn into the WWIII!!!!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Juansmom

Although those things must bring your Mom comfort, I'm sorry for her addiction. I'm sure her being a Depression era baby helps make that worse.

My Nana was a hoarder, not to that extreme, but she saved yogurt containers and lids for later use, forgot what canned goods she had and bought seconds and thirds sometimes, wore her clothing til they were threadbare and tied her shoestrings when they broke til they were too short to use!

They had nothing as kids and she scraped to raise 3 kids alone in the 40's. so I get where it comes from. My mother is the same, she loses the fight with paper, she can't throw junk mail, newspapers, etc away. I remember as a kid she had many filing cabinets FULL of mortgage receipts, car payment coupon books etc from the 70's, all organized, but couldn't throw them away.

And the third generation is my sister. She has a basement full of stuff and can't seem to get through it. Her kids have too many clothes and toys, and about 3 times a year she calls "Niecey" (me) to help her get a "Clean House"...... At which we take average 7-8 garbage bags of trash, papers and broken toys, and 10-12 bags of clothing to the Goodwill. And Im the exact opposite, constantly cleaning and going thru stuff. I'm trying reeeeal hard not to get infected with the clutter bug!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

My husband's mother was a serious hoarder - she could have been on the tv show.

My father was a hoarder but he was a very neat organized one, he just had ridiculous stuff. He collect the plastic bowls that butter and Cool whip come in - hundreds of them! Never threw one away becuase he might need one for leftovers some day.

He collected thousands of milk jugs. When you asked him why he would tell you that you cut the bottoms out and put them over baby tomato plants so they don't get front bitten. It protects them from the chill. However, he never had a tomato plant or garden, just always thought he minght some day.

He collected 2-liter soft drink bottles. Apparantly you put a hole through them somehow and use them for fishing bobbers for night fishing. Thousands of those too. He never went night fishing. But he always wanted to.

Cardboard boxes - he hated to let a cardboard box go. And he had every check he had ever written in his lifetime and he was 69 years old when he died. Two truck loads of cancelled checks and bank statements and papers.

However, it was organized so well he could put his hand on anything. He built nice shelves for his stuff and labelled everything perfectly.

He built a shed for his milk jugs and plastic bowls and things and they were organized just right. It was very strange.

My husband is also a hoarder and people have come to our house when the garage door is up and asked if we were having a yard sale. Its that bad. At least I can walk from the driveway to the kitchen door through the garage if I'm not carrying much.

However, I don't allow any junk in the house - the garage is as far as it gets. If Bill brings it in, I take it right back to the garage and he has thanked me many times for no allowing our house to have clutter.

If you come into our house, there is no hint that a hoarder lives here - it is organized. My scraproom is completely organized. The only clutter is on his desk and I clear it regularly.

I've always heard that the child or spouse of a hoarder turns out one of two ways. They are hoarders too and carry on the tradition of hoarding.

Or they totally reject the clutter and throw away everything that isn't nailed down - they hate it. I fall into that category. I throw everything away. I couldn't keep scrapbook packaging because I don't need it - it goes in the garbage.

I don't want anything in my house I don't need.

I have thrown good things away and then have to buy them again because I later needed them.

I actually bought a nice queens size bed for the guest room in an older house I lived in and after a month (slept on 3 times) I decided it was too large so I sold it for $50.00. Then when I moved a few months later I needed a queen-sized bed and bought another.

My mother asked to have my kids bunk beds when they outgrew them - really nice ones. I told her, oh, as soon as they outgrew them I got rid of them. She wanted to know why I didn't store them somewhere - like my basement. My basement had nothing in it - I refused to have clutter in it.

And clothes - one stain on them or if they are a bit tight they are out of here. Salvation Army probably loves me because if I haven't worn anything in a year or so - out it goes.

I have a problem in the opposite direction, which is not uncommon for those who have had a hoarder in their lives. They hate it so much they go the other way with it.

I do throw away a lot of perfectly good and sometimes new stuff becuase I jsut don't want it in my house and don't think I will use it. And often I have to buy it again.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Juansmom

It would be safe to say that most of us on here have too many possessions. Not just scrap-booking stuff, but all kinds of unnecessary things.

I'm in the loooooooong process of clearing out our many, many possessions accumulated from when most of them went into storage when we moved abroad for a year - and stayed for 7 years. You accumulate a lot in 7 years. So we brought back a houseful with us, and then our other houseful came out of storage, and we still only have the one small house!

The hoarder programs make me feel a little better about our mess, but only a little. Owning too much causes SO MUCH STRESS. Everything you own has to be cared for: you need to know where it is, keep it clean, dusted, maintained, accessible. That's a lot of work. Then when you can't keep up with it all, it's stressful. Those people who live in those conditions must have an unbelievable amount of misery just living that way - it's too big a job to tackle. And that's before you count the psychological reasons which got them there in the first place.

My scrapbooking corner is the most used, organised and tidy part of the house - what does that say about me?

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to RedSquirrel

Oh my I would not let anyone into my front door from that program. Although I try to keep things organised, living in a house that could fit a family with only two, does imply you tend to hang on to stuff. This year I have started in clearing out both the attics, donating good things to charity shops and throw away the junk. Still I can not say goodbye to all my children's books and they are stored in boxes. Every now and then I find something I could use, but did not know I had it. Unfortunately most of the times I find things I also didn't know I had and don't want them.

My scrapbook area is pretty clean and everything is in boxes, drawers etc.

I don't mind having clutter, but I do mind a dirty house. So cleaning is sometimes a challenge!

Of course I would not call myself a hoarder. Especially not our 800+ teddy bear collection!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elsje2

It was once explained that the difference between a hoarder and a collector is that a collector has pride in his stuff and displays it or takes care of it if there isn't room to display it. They can usually tell you about every piece and where it came from and the history behind it.

A hoarder just stacks it up - often it is never taken out of the bags from the store and is often not seen again after it is purchased.

We have hundreds of pieces of American Fostoria and we use it and it is on display and taken care of. I have a china cabinet full of it, 3 display tables where it is nicely displayed and its also on wide shelves built into my kitchen. Its displayed and taken care of. It is actually a collection.

My mother is in shock becuase I have the high chair I had when I was born and it belongged to my cousin who is older than me by 5 or 6 years. Its been in the family for about 70 years. I told my mother I was giving it to my husband's daughter in California when her daughter has her baby in February. My mother was not happy.

I do collect a lot of holiday decorations for every holiday but I love to use and display them. The rest of the year of course they are packed up.

Resident
In response to Henri Jean

my daughter actually spoke to me about concerns of me becoming a hoarder with scrapping stuff. the thing she can't seem to wrap her head around is the "bower bird" effect i've taken on, i keep toilet rolls for mini albums (yet to make) and any packaging that i can see will be useful but she see's as rubbish lol. nothing is safe, i've even taken to recycling wind chimes, dingle dangles to put into my scrap collections. i've only been scrapping for approx 2 yrs but the obsession with it only really hit about 9mths ago and my collection of stuff is growing rapidly. i've enlisted her help to organise and come up with storage solutions... hopefully to help her see why i'm collecting the stuff and also to help me get organised.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to dee.is.me

My dad does not want to get rid of anything and i agree my parents lived through the depression so that made an impact. When we moved last year I did get rid of quite q few things and I feel that I have more than I should but I am ok with that. I also take a load of things to goodwill at least every six weeks and I go through clothes and shoes every four months. I still laugh because I still have too many shoes....about 150 pairs!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics