Username Post: Is there a product that...        (Topic#1581647)
Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen

makes paper look like leather? I am making invitations for dd's b-day and I would like them to look like books (she loves reading). Any suggestions? What would you do for the 'binding'? TIA!!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Dancing Queen

I one saw a tutorial on Split Coast stampers where they used an embossing folder and UTEE to make leather looking paper. I can't think of any regular scrapbook paper but try booking binding supplies. I remember as a kid in art class having leather looking embossed paper that came from a local book binding factory.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to CorrieW

I've used different Distress inks to obtain a leather look before.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Rosita

- If you crumple the paper over & over, not only will it give it the look of old worn leather, but it will also give it a soft suede feel. If you'd like it to have a hardcoat, perhaps some sort of clearcoat to stiffen & hard it.

- Water distressing is another technique you could implement to help distress the paper.

- If you use rustic, brown paper, you can add touches of black ink or mist, either before of after crumpling.

- If you use a manilla, kraft or white piece of paper, it will show through, unless you ink it first.

- Grungeboard, chipboard & thin to thick cardboard are all possible alternatives.

- Google 'Book invites'...Invites that look like books...and Book template printables for more ideas.

- As for binding...book binding cord...book binding tape...book binding wire...or sewn & stiched heavy thread...or leather binding cord. You should be able to find some at Michaels.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KellyCali

Hobby Leather carries a leather looking paper in their specialty paper but it is expensive. I like it a lot and it really does look like leather.

Here's a layout with it so you can see what the paper looks like:

Colorado Cattle Drive Left By Henri Jean

Colorado Cattle Drive Right By Henri Jean

Colorado Cattle Drive Left & Right By Henri Jean

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Hobby Leather carries a leather looking paper in their specialty paper but it is expensive. I like it a lot and it really does look like leather.

Is there actually a store called Hobby Leather? Or, was it just a mistype... heehee, it piqued my interest (I totally googled it).

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to KellyCali

I think the TH glassine could be used to make leather look. Crinkle it, then use distressing inks. It has a great feel to it. Not like paper. I love using it. Ived used the big bags and torn them apart and used as paper when didn't have the full sheets. I think the pads are probably cheaper. Just have to make size would work. Look at Tim's videos for the glassine sheets.

Veteran
In response to SherylEb

I think it could be Hobby Lobby but you could PM the person that wrote it..

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to SHARON ELISE

You guys are awesome, thank you!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I was going to suggest glassine paper as well (Tim Holtz has an awesome video tutorial on how to use the stuff ... it is very cool), or you could use grungepaper and ink and mist it up

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

I must have been tired last night - it is Hobby Lobby! Lord, I guess it was time to go to bed!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-12-12 08:18 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Papertemptress has paper that has a sueded texture, it's really cool.

Diva
In response to stick

So many tips and ideas. This is great!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to bayamonesa1

I saw some paper that already looks like leather at JoAnn's last week. Maybe you can try there.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Lunareclipse

Goosebumps! Wow, this is cool!

Basketball in 1922 By Meowgal

Putting in my wish list

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to CrimsonMama

Unfortunately we don't have Hobby Lobby or Joanne's here in Canada, much to my dismay - I don't get to the States often enough However, lots of other great tips. Thank you!!!

New Kid On the Block

I have made faux leather crumpling card stock. Wet it with a mister lightly before to get this fibres to soften up. Leave some creases in it when you flatten it out. Distress further with tim holtz distress inks. Works really well, as a previous poster described also.

If you spray with a glimmer mist over the top it will have a nice sheen to it as well

Diva
In response to kiwifarmer

Great tip! Thanks!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I made tooled leather looking corners by using a spellbinders die and then using inks. Very vintage looking tho'...you might not be looking for that.

You can get Goosebumps here at SB.com or at Amazon.com (I think) but definitly here.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by CrimsonMama on 10-16-12 06:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics