Username Post: Hints on dying white lace black...        (Topic#1581737)
ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

I have tons of white lace and want to try dying some of it black.

Is there an easy way to do this, or just use the RIT dye? It's for an altered item so it won't be washed or handled much, if that makes a difference as to the product or technique used.

Thanks for your suggestions!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to ScrappyMama6

If you only need a small amount, I'd use shoe polish, Staz-On, or even a Sharpie. The easiest would be a black mist, sprayed into a baggie. I have a bad history with Rit die, especially the very dark colors! Of course, tons of people dye stuff with no problem, but I've had just about every problem you can imagine.

Cindy

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 10-15-12 09:26 AM
In response to cindy312

I agree- black mist is the way to go. Or, you can use Distress Stain. I also linked a couple of other products that would be good for this.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel

I agree with what was already said. If it is not loads and loads that needs to be dyed I would just mist it. I do this all the time for lace or other trim or lace flowers. I am finding the Heidi Swapp Color Shine to have lots of deep color and covers chipboard or lace well.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-15-12 10:26 AM
In response to rebeccakeppel

I have used distress ink to dye small amounts of lace. I bet the distress stain would be awesome.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Vae

Thanks guys! I do already have Stayzon in black so I may try a bit of that on a very tiny piece. If its not what i need ill get a mist and do that!

Thank you!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Another vote for mist

New Kid On the Block
In response to Here Kitty

If its natural the tim holtz inks and stains will be perfect. If its acrylic, they may or may not stick.

Diva
In response to kiwifarmer

I rather use mist. It will be faster and you can control how light or dark you want it to be.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I did a short piece with TH Distress Stain, very easy. But I think if I was going to do a lot and wanted Black, I would use Rit Dye. Depends on the amount of lace you want to stain.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to CrimsonMama

I tried the Stayzon this am on a small of and it turned out nice, just not quite dark enough, but I'm going to try to do it again. I may try the dye, do more than I need for this project just to have some on hand.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

I've dyed lace and ribbon with my Copic markers.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:
I've dyed lace and ribbon with my Copic markers.

Me too. I coloured crochet cotton with my red Copic marker to crochet a little scarf for a football card for my BIL. It was red and white striped, with no knots!

A black Copic would work if it was a small amount of lace and you let it dry properly.

Let us know what worked? I'm interested now.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to RedSquirrel

I use black mist for sure!

slyn11
slyn11 
Resident
slyn11
In response to Manda_K

Watered down acrylic paint works too. I usually dye my ribbon and laces with mists or distress stains

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to slyn11

I have died white ribbon and lace with my inkpads and it turns out pretty good.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

I buy white ribbons, laces, doilies and flowers and then have a colour day. I use inks,sprays and paints to colour in batches and also do a few chipboards at the same time. I also paint items with glimmer glaze and crackle paints. Just try everything as you'll get some awesome finishes. Start with a lighter colour and then add a bit more as you go along. This gives you a range of items in the same colour block but with variations. Then when you scrap you'll have something unique. For black I just use a craft spray paint and do a batch of items and chipboards at the same time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics