Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Store club -reward cards        (Topic#1581805)
Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Anyone else annoyed or put off by the trend of virtually EVERY store having its own rewards/bonus/club card?

It seems everywhere I shop lately (feed store, auto parts, grocery, department store) is pushing signing up for some sort of program.

What bothers me the most is stores that charge significantly more for an item if you don't have their card.

Call me paranoid, but I'm not comfortable with ALL my purchases being tracked. Not that I have anything to hide.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Bxr-Linda

I don't mind it, I just hate how long it takes to get a ******** reward!!!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Doreena

If I have to have a card to save money, I much prefer the places that you can type in your phone number instead of carrying around 47 cards.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to angie girl

Angie - that is me as well. If the cashier asks if I have a card, I say "I think so but I don't have it with me."

At that point, they will either look it by phone number, just scan the store card or if they can't find me, I say "nevermind then" because I don't like having to fill all of that out.

I tend to shop at the grocery store that has decent prices all of the time without having to have a card.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

I agree, carrying around a bunch of cards IS a pain. I think most places link to your telephone number or email.

My objection is to the whole thing.

I don't want my purchases tracked
I don't want the store to have my phone number or email
I don't want to be FORCED to sign up to get the best prices

I guess I'm the odd one?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Walgreens just rolled out their card program. DH is so annoyed, you have no idea.

It reminds me of Bed Bath & Beyond and their stupid 20% off coupons. Just lower the price of everything by 20% and be done with it!

Was at the mall this weekend shopping for dd and the clerk at Justice said, "Can I have your email address?"

Me, "Nope."

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
Walgreens just rolled out their card program. DH is so annoyed, you have no idea.

It reminds me of Bed Bath & Beyond and their stupid 20% off coupons. Just lower the price of everything by 20% and be done with it!

Was at the mall this weekend shopping for dd and the clerk at Justice said, "Can I have your email address?"

Me, "Nope."

Ours has had a card for a while now. Maybe our area was the "test market?" I think Walgreens is one of the worst! HUGE price difference if you don't have the card.

And did she look at you like you were crazy? That's what I generally get.

I understand the old zip code question. It gives the store an idea who is shopping there, and what areas to send advertisements to. But the individual, personal information stuff bothers me.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I agree, carrying around a bunch of cards IS a pain. I think most places link to your telephone number or email.

I guess I'm the odd one?

No, you're not odd.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to angie girl

Another thing that makes me suspicious is how pushy some of the stores are about it.

I'm sure the employees are simply required to ask and offer, but it seems that in the end, the store wouldn't care. In fact, if the loyalty card offers discounts, it would be in the store's best interest for customers NOT to use one?

Here's an interesting article I found:
Loyalty Cards: Reward or Threat?
http://couponing.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&a...

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like Michael's card program. I went gold in a matter of weeks. I have gotten the rewards about every 6 weeks. Our grocery store got rid of theirs and lowered their prices. JCP's got rid of all of their sales and I go there a lot more often now. Just give me the bottom line.

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
Another thing that makes me suspicious is how pushy some of the stores are about it.

I'm sure the employees are simply required to ask and offer, but it seems that in the end, the store wouldn't care. In fact, if the loyalty card offers discounts, it would be in the store's best interest for customers NOT to use one?

Here's an interesting article I found:
Loyalty Cards: Reward or Threat?
http://couponing.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&a...

I dislike this so very much, our local vons has a just4u program that if you sign up online you can get added deals. It sucks because they email you the deal then you have to go to their website and enter your information in to get said deal added to your card. Too much hassle for me, last week they had the bagged snacks Ashlee and Conor take for lunch Normally 9.99a box on sale 5 bucks so we decided to stock up well turns out it was a 4 hour special on friday and you had to add it to your card plus enter in the code to get the deal
went to pay and wondered why my bill was so high found out that I failed to enter the special code so I was being charged 9.99 and not 5 dollars. I was so mad and the manager said she couldn't fix it so I left the items and went to another store where I found them regular price 6.99 cheaper then vons.

Edited by Als_Gal on 10-17-12 05:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Als_Gal

I have a Kroger card, but never filled out the registration form providing them with personal information. I get the discounts, but no tracking!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm totally with you! I figure if I want emails and promotions from a store/company, I will go online and sign up. Otherwise, quit trying to push it on me. I also hate to waste the time in the store giving them info. And, I'm totally with you when they ask for my email! Nope. I don't want to give it to you and I don't want to say it out loud in the store. I don't need spam coming from everywhere because I have to run around and "advertise" my email. JMO.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

I guess I'm the odd one?

I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree. I haven't signed up for a store card in a long time and shop the stores where they just have sales/prices or good coupons for everyone.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

I guess I'm the odd one?

I agreed with you until I got a voice mail from my local grocery store telling me there was a problem with the eggs I purchased and not to eat them. At first I was thinking how do they know I bought eggs and how do they know my phone number. Then I remembered the discount card. So in some ways it is good they are tracking.

But overall I agree with you. The discount cards may just be a big ploy to gather shopping habits and trends from people who are paying by cash.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

I know this goes against what I'm saying, but I do have a Fred Meyer card (now owned by Kroger). I shop there A LOT!

Their program is a "reward" at the end of a certain period, based on what you spend. The prices at the same whether you have a card or not.

I have also gotten automated telephone messages about product recalls, "our records indicate you purchased Dean's guacomole dip on this date, and it's been recalled."
The jury is out on whether I think that's helpful or extremely creepy!

I HATE the places where you need the card to get the deal(s). I walked out of Walgreens without purchasing anything when the $3.98 item was $5.99 without their card! To me, that's just extortion.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

I HATE the places where you need the card to get the deal(s). I walked out of Walgreens without purchasing anything when the $3.98 item was $5.99 without their card! To me, that's just extortion.

I did the exact same thing at Walgreens. I walked out when signing up for their card to get the discount was required.
I totally agree with you, the whole tracking "big brother" effect is creepy. Just because I bought something once doesn't mean I should be bombarded with Marketing pitches for the rest of my life.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

I did the exact same thing at Walgreens. I walked out when signing up for their card to get the discount was required.
I totally agree with you, the whole tracking "big brother" effect is creepy. Just because I bought something once doesn't mean I should be bombarded with Marketing pitches for the rest of my life.

Our CVS is the same way. I don't shop at either one of them.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to kelseymel

I so wish corporate at where I work could see this thread! I am on the fence about store cards. Some sound good that offer easy cut and dry savings when I present the card.

But I am totally not for giving out the personal info. stuff.

In the end it takes time to do a pitch at the register while impatient customers are in line wanting to get in and get out.

But we are required to do the pitch. If we are caught not doing it, we get written up.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Trina_P

• Trina_P Said:
I so wish corporate at where I work could see this thread! I am on the fence about store cards. Some sound good that offer easy cut and dry savings when I present the card.

But I am totally not for giving out the personal info. stuff.

In the end it takes time to do a pitch at the register while impatient customers are in line wanting to get in and get out.

But we are required to do the pitch. If we are caught not doing it, we get written up.

What is the best way to response to the pitch?
"not today"?

Everytime I go to the movies, I get "hit up" for their rewards program and I just don't want it. What is a good response to cut the sales pitch short?

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics