Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Store club -reward cards        (Topic#1581805)
Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Good question.

People in retail... suggestions?

I don't want to be rude to the employee just trying to do her job, but...
don't care, don't care...
please do you have to ask me, AGAIN!?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • kelseymel Said:
Walgreens just rolled out their card program. DH is so annoyed, you have no idea.

It reminds me of Bed Bath & Beyond and their stupid 20% off coupons. Just lower the price of everything by 20% and be done with it!

Was at the mall this weekend shopping for dd and the clerk at Justice said, "Can I have your email address?"

Me, "Nope."

Ours has had a card for a while now. Maybe our area was the "test market?" I think Walgreens is one of the worst! HUGE price difference if you don't have the card.

And did she look at you like you were crazy? That's what I generally get.

I understand the old zip code question. It gives the store an idea who is shopping there, and what areas to send advertisements to. But the individual, personal information stuff bothers me.

"Can I have your phone number?" said the lady at the shoe store, in a way that, despite the words, wasn't a question at all and which really meant "Please give me your phone number."

"No," I said, and she faltered, because I guess that's not in the script.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to aquabunny

Just say "No thank you" and be nice about it. And I am glad u asked. Some people are so rude when we are just doing our job as we are required to do.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Trina_P

As aquabunny mentioned, I have been to stores where a telephone number seems a REQUIREMENT to ring up the purchase.

I always do the same thing.... "No" or "I'd rather not" (with a smile).

Although, admittedly my smile is probably more of a smirk that says, "hell NO!"

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Bxr-Linda

You're not the only one, I'm not paranoid usually but the idea of them tracking my every purchase creeps me out. When we moved back to Germany in June I gleefully tossed out the few I had and killed all the spam email I was getting. Then the first time we shopped in the commissary on base they asked me if I had my DeCA (Defense Commissary Agency) rewards card!!!! GAHHH! The last thing I want is an arm of the Government tracking my purchases now! I said no thanks.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-21-12 06:17 PM
In response to Sonsie

Linda, I agree with you too. I find it creepy! I use a grocery store that does not have the rewards card. It's really nobody's business what I buy. I too get annoyed because you have to have their card to get the lower price. PetSmart is one that really annoys me. It's the only rewards card that I really use and it is very rare when I shop there. It's really ridiculous that I can't buy the dog a toy or treat without them tracking it.

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping at Old Navy. After I swiped my debit card, the cashier asked me to verify my email address. HUH? It was right there on the screen! Of course, I have an online ON account with my debit card in there where I shop online so maybe that is how they linked it? Thing is, when I got home, there was a copy of my receipt IN MY EMAIL! It was called an eReceipt and was an exact copy of the receipt I had received in the store.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to LeeLo

I guess I'm one of few who like having the cards.

1. I have NEVER ever ever gotten a phone call from the store for any reason.

2 On Saturday I got $14 off a $34 bill just buying things I already use. seriously.. bread, italian sausages, TP... that's almost HALF. I seldom use coupons, I forget them etc, but because the store "tracks" me I get instore coupons all the time, which I save and use when they have special deals on the items. Ex when a regular Ensure costs $9, but is on sale for $7 I use the coupon that gives me another $1.50 off.

3. They can already see what you are buying for petes sake, they are ringing it up. Who cares if they know I like Scott TP?

When they ask for my phone # I just say "no thanks." I have never ever been pressured.

We are rural and have only 3 grocery stores within 25 miles. TOPS, sav a lot and an independent chain. The independent has no card and no matter what ALWAYS costs more, even while screaming in their ads.. "You don't NEED a card." I don't NEED to shop there either.

I like the cards and take full advantage of them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

Because I work in Marketing for a food manufacturer I’ll provide a little insight into the question of “what do they care what I buy?”...

Whether you realize it or not your purchase history is scrutinized to death!!! What you buy, when you buy it, what you buy it with, how much you paid, did you use a coupon, do you buy the same brand over & over, how often do you buy it, did you buy more when it was on sale, etc. etc. This information is analyzed by the retailer and then “rolled up” to other organizations where the information is sold.

Sales results, rankings, price comparisons, geographical result, pack size, flavor type, seasonal information…companies “live & breath” by these results. The store card adds another layer of information to the data that the retailer may not have otherwise (especially if you mix & match how you pay…cash sometimes, credit card the next, occasionally debit card). The card gives them the ability to consistently track your particular purchase habits. How often you buy something and so on. And depending on the card form it could also include exactly where you live, marital status, age, income, size of your family, education, etc. Buy diapers once and you may end up in the research for “new family” purchasing habits. Why does one grocery store have certain ethnic products while the branch 2 miles away doesn't...it's based on sales analysis research.

Big Brother is watching you…

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
Because I work in Marketing for a food manufacturer I’ll provide a little insight into the question of “what do they care what I buy?”...

Whether you realize it or not your purchase history is scrutinized to death!!! What you buy, when you buy it, what you buy it with, how much you paid, did you use a coupon, do you buy the same brand over & over, how often do you buy it, did you buy more when it was on sale, etc. etc. This information is analyzed by the retailer and then “rolled up” to other organizations where the information is sold.

Sales results, rankings, price comparisons, geographical result, pack size, flavor type, seasonal information…companies “live & breath” by these results. The store card adds another layer of information to the data that the retailer may not have otherwise (especially if you mix & match how you pay…cash sometimes, credit card the next, occasionally debit card). The card gives them the ability to consistently track your particular purchase habits. How often you buy something and so on. And depending on the card form it could also include exactly where you live, marital status, age, income, size of your family, education, etc. Buy diapers once and you may end up in the research for “new family” purchasing habits. Why does one grocery store have certain ethnic products while the branch 2 miles away doesn't...it's based on sales analysis research.

Big Brother is watching you…

Exactly! I wonder if insurance companies are interested in buying this info? Like fatty foods? Cigarettes? Buy a lot of beer or wine? What about pain killers? It's like peeping into your personal life and it's creepy and intrusive.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Sonsie

Kinda makes you wanna go back to pay cash. Don't give any info and walk out. Leave no paper trail.

Ever wonder who scrutinizes the video from the camera that is right over your head as you check out also? Women 25 to 40 are buying this brand of toilet paper but men 19 to 35 are buying another brand.... Could be happening too. Like she said "Big Brother" IS watching you.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Trina_P

I don't think I care. It seems to me that if they record that I'm buying the same potato-and-corn-free chips at the same store every week using my card, then that store is less likely to discontinue selling them because they have a regular customer. If they stop stocking them, I would have to go without because no other store sells them for miles.

As long as they stock what I want to buy, and I buy what they stock, which is the whole reason for the exercise, what does it matter?

I have the same attitude to CCTV. If my conscience is clear, why should I care about them? It's only people who have something to hide who should be worrying.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I don't think I care. It seems to me that if they record that I'm buying the same potato-and-corn-free chips at the same store every week using my card, then that store is less likely to discontinue selling them because they have a regular customer. If they stop stocking them, I would have to go without because no other store sells them for miles.

As long as they stock what I want to buy, and I buy what they stock, which is the whole reason for the exercise, what does it matter?

I have the same attitude to CCTV. If my conscience is clear, why should I care about them? It's only people who have something to hide who should be worrying.

My points exactly! I figure if you have nothing to hide you really have nothing to worry about. And you are totally correct about stores keeping in stock what is selling.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Trina_P

so I'm one of those annoying people who asks for info ... it is part of my job

this is my spiel:

with your permission, I'd like to sign you up for our Perfect Fit Rewards card ... it is not a credit card, there is no charge for it, and we do not share your information with any other company ... with the card you'll save $30 on your tuxedo rental today and every time you rent from us. In addition, for every dollar you spend on rental or retail, you'll get a point, and when you reach 500 points cumulative, you'll receive a $50 gift certificate.

and yes, I do ask for their email ... again, it is part of my job ... they get an automatic email when their tux is in, and many prefer get an "e-receipt" instead of a printed one.

If someone doesn't want the card (which by the way, they don't have to have with them to use ... it's under their phone number), that's the end of it

but it is WAY easier to take care of returns even without a receipt, because we can see what they purchased including the transaction number

if someone wants to sign up, but does NOT want to receive emails (or any mail at all), we can just check that box, no problem

my company keeps track of the percentage of customers who sign up and give their emails ... my performance reviews are partially based on these numbers being high

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

Mad, I went to MW a couple years ago to get DH some new ties. They asked for my phone #, I gave it to them and they told me I had a $50 credit for something or other.

Woohoo!

I also get the immediate receipts from Old Navy and Party City.

I usually don't mid, but sometimes the clerks need to brush up on their CS skills.

DH is having a horrid time with his employees right now. They HAVE TO ask every single customer if they want to sign up. They don't want to. Oy.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
Mad, I went to MW a couple years ago to get DH some new ties. They asked for my phone #, I gave it to them and they told me I had a $50 credit for something or other.

Woohoo!

I also get the immediate receipts from Old Navy and Party City.

I usually don't mid, but sometimes the clerks need to brush up on their CS skills.

DH is having a horrid time with his employees right now. They HAVE TO ask every single customer if they want to sign up. They don't want to. Oy.

I don't mind if they ask me - as long as they let it go if I say "no".

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Trina_P

• Trina_P Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

My points exactly! I figure if you have nothing to hide you really have nothing to worry about. And you are totally correct about stores keeping in stock what is selling.

It's all fine & good if nothing changes in your life BUT what happens when things do change and these stores continue to market to the old you?

Imagine a new mom that has lost their child but they are still bombarded with "baby" Marketing ploys.

When Macys sends me the "fat girl" catalogue I just want to scream! Even though I am fat you don't have to rub it in my face. Lie to me. I buy underwear and 3 days later that catalogue shows up. I buy shoes and bamm shoe catalogue arrives.

Once you become associated with certain things "like say shopping for a car" it becomes almost impossible to break free...ever.

Stop tailing me around trying to sell me something.

and can I also say I am SICK of getting political mailings and phone calls. I will NEVER give out my phone number ever again when updating my voter information.

AND just wait till you start getting the "Old Person" junk. "Have you planned for your funeral?" "Do you have enough life insurance?" "Understand medicare"
My advice...start lieing about your age now!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
Imagine a new mom that has lost their child but they are still bombarded with "baby" Marketing ploys.

THIS. I can't tell you how many times getting the mail made me break down after I had a miscarriage. I got the "congrats - your baby's a year old!" stuff even though I tried to take my name off every mailing list I had originally joined. I know I got stuff up to 18 months - might have even been 2 years.

The funny thing is that I'm on a black girl list or something. I am a white girl, but I get catalogs specifically marketed to black women sometimes. Not sure what I bought to get that.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to scraprabbit

I still get Huggies coupons in the email. My kids are 10 and 11.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I still get Huggies coupons in the email. My kids are 10 and 11.

Nice.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to scraprabbit

Email? I meant mail. Gah.

I give them to my neighbor. Hmmm, maybe she secretly signed me up?

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics