Username Post: how to use brads? please advise        (Topic#1581923)
ckair 
Resident
  • ckair on 10-20-12 08:31 PM

I am trying to "step up" my layouts a bit and have been buying brads that coordinate with a paper collection. My question is do they make something to put under them so when you pierce the brad you don't bend your paper? I have been using my foam Sew Easy Pad, but then it gets holes in it. Do they make something special for Brads? Thanks.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to ckair

It won't bend your paper if you use something else to make the hole, then insert the brad. I use a hole puncher that makes a tiny hole, or if it's further in on the paper that the hole punch won't reach, I use a paper piercer to make the hole. I have a self-healing mat on my scrap table so I don't have to worry about the piercer leaving a mark or hole on my table. Hope this helps.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to chocolateaxel

Get an old mouse pad and put under your paper then take a craft pick and put your hole in the paper.
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Sneezy1956

Why not practise on some scraps first. It'll give you a feel for it and help to prevent mistakes on a actual photo

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrappercaz

I have some cork coasters that I use underneath when I pierce. Before I had a piercer I used a bulletin board push pin.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to NMlady

Yup, I use hole punches and paper piercers. Even if the hole from the paper piercer isn't big enough for the shaft of the brad, it gives you a start and makes the paper less likely to bend - sometimes I poke two holes right next to each other so a large brad can slide in.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to aquabunny

i don't have any of those tools. i use an exacto knife to make a slit for the brad to go into. and i cut over the cardboard that comes with a paper pack or an order from sb.com.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lamoo12

I'm a Crop-O-Dile fan. I use the Big Bite - I think that is the big one.

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to Henri Jean

I very seldom anymore leave the two prongs on the back of brads.

I use my wire cutters and nip those puppies right off and then use some Beacon's 3-in-1 advanced craft glue (acid free & waterproof) or Glossy Accents (acid-free too) to adbere them and don't have the issue of dealing with the prongs on the back of my layout....which I used to use a piece of Scotch scrapbooking tape to cover over so it didn't snag the backs of other layouts with brads.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kygirlnfla

I love my paper piercer ... it is one of those tools that I didn't think I really needed and now use all the time ... and it's perfect for making the holes for brads ... when I'm being lazy I don't pre-make the hole, and often wind up ripping the paper when I put the brad in ... soooo annoying

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to madmatter

My 3 main go-to's...

- paper piercer

- large sewing needle

- crop-a-dile

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to KellyCali

I got the brad setter/piercer and mini pad from We R Memory Keepers. Bought it here on SB.com and love it but like someone mentioned you can stack two old mouse pad together and that would work as well. Just make sure that you have a self-healing mat underneath or something not to damage the surface where you are working. I have one of those too as well as the Crop-A-Dile for eyelets and whatnot.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to ckair

I either use a paper piercer to make a small hole where I want the brad, or I use Tim Holtz scissors to cut the wings off and glue the wingless brad down with Therm O Web Zots.

ckair 
Resident
  • ckair on 10-22-12 01:21 PM
In response to rebeccakeppel

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to ckair

Where is a great place to buy a large assortment of brads?

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Lunareclipse

I agree with all the ladies, paper piercer and crop a dile are my to to tools. I love my crop a dile. I never really thought about snapping the wires off the back of the brads but I recently read a blog somewhere about someone doing that. I might try it but first I would have to purchase the wire cutter tool and I am on a scrappy freeze right now with Christmas being right around the corner.

Diva
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I have the set from CTMH and it is great!

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to rebeccakeppel

Wouldn't cutting the wings off brads damage your scissors? I've thought about cutting them off before but haven't, for this reason...

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Lunareclipse

• Lunareclipse Said:
Where is a great place to buy a large assortment of brads?

I've bought from eyeletoutletdotcom in the past. Great variety, fast shipping and very affordable. Also check oriental trading.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to ckair

One of the cheapest items is a foam stubbie cooler. Or a mouse pad. These only cost a couple of dollars . chers Angela

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics