Username Post: Diverticulitis        (Topic#1581961)
NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

Has anyone here had to deal with this health issue?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to NMlady

Oh no! Hope you don't have it - doesn't sound fun. I didn't have it, but I got tested for it once, so I had done a little reading on it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to NMlady

My mother has it. Has for YEARS.

It's when the pockets in the intestines get food stuck in them and get infected. You'll usually have abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and a fever. Most times you need antibiotics to clear it up and to avoid your trigger foods....nuts, seedy fruits and veggies, corn, strawberries, etc.....everyone is different and triggers and symptoms vary.

She gets it several times a year because she's VERY non compliant with her diet. And she has scarring in the bowel that with the next bout or 2 they may have to remove the damaged part and leave her with a temporary colostomy. I've been b!tching for years at her to try to get her to change her ways.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to ScrappyMama6

So far strawberries have been my only trigger, but I think I'm having a bout now and don't know what I ate that caused it. I also read that it isn't always food that causes a bout but fecal matter can get stuck.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

Do they do a colonoscopy to diagnose it for certain. My diagnosis was done simply by the symptoms and with all three attacks I'd eaten strawberries.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to NMlady

I'm not sure - Teresa will know, I'm sure. When I was getting checked for it they just did a CT scan.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to scraprabbit

My dad had this. He was really sick several times over the course of about a year and landed in the hospital each time. Several years ago, he had several inches of his intestine removed and he hasn't had a problem since.

Edited by JayAndXansMom on 10-23-12 04:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
Do they do a colonoscopy to diagnose it for certain. My diagnosis was done simply by the symptoms and with all three attacks I'd eaten strawberries.

My Mother had a colonoscopy, and lower GI studies, and abd ultrasounds to be sure it wasnt fibroids, colon CA, appendicitis, pancreatitis etc.....the colonscopy showed the pockets.

Things with "seeds" or hulls and nuts were her triggers. Because usually those things dont digest/break down fully and are easier to get stuck. They recommended she increase her fiber too.

Hugs, its very painful when you flare up.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to ScrappyMama6

Thank you for the info everyone. I think I am a lot better today.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to NMlady

My Dad had it for about 6 years before he died. He was very careful about not eating seeds. He loved poppy seed muffins but could not eat them any more, sunflower seeds too.
Hope you can feel better all the time

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to catzscrapper

My Mother-in-law has it. Her main trigger is nuts and she can't keep her hands off them around the holidays. Thankfully her case seems not so severe and no surgery required.

She also swears by drinking aloe vera juice which we have to track down every time she visits. Bleck!! I have no idea where this can be bought now that we've moved to Germany so she better haul some along in December!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/446403-what-a re-the-b...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics