Username Post: cards for kids        (Topic#1582001)
randasue
Guru
randasue

hi everyone! i haven't been on here for a while...there has just been too much going on in my life!

i wanted to let you all know about the card project that i have shared with sb.com members for the past 3 years. my family volunteers at a camp for battered and abused children each summer. the campers receive mail in their mailbox every day from their counselors and other camp staff, such as grandmas and grandpas, other counselors, etc. the great people here have helped us for the past 3 years to have tons of cards for the campers. they are always so excited when they get their cards each day, and at night you can see them sitting on their beds, looking over their cards and they are so touched that people who don't even know them take the time to make cards for them.
the camp is called Royal Family Kids Camp ( rfkc.org). it is an organization that has camps all over the united states and the world. it is sponsored by churches, however nothing is "pushed" on them, we just love them and show them that someone does care about them.

the cards can be any size, but it is best not to make really big ones. they can be any theme, such as sports, animals, characters(such as disney, or other cartoon type characters.), girl theme or boy them, and birthday, encouraging words such as Way to go, great job, awesome, stuff like that.
we also have a theme each year that can be used to make cards, such as the jungle theme, patriotic, etc. i don't know the theme yet for this year, but will let you all as soon as i do.

if you want to be a part of this project, just post here or pm me. you can make as few or as many cards as you want. many sb'ers here use up their leftover scraps of materials to make cards. some do multiple cards of one design, while others make one of a kind. so anything goes pretty much.

i know that times are hard for some people, and if postage is a problem for anyone who wants to participate, just pm me. i have people who are not card makers who are willing to contribute to pay for postage.

if any of you are involved with any clubs or organizations, i have had people to get groups together to make cards. girl or boy scout troups, church groups, ladies groups, classes at school., just about any group can get together and make a ton of cards at once.

i hope you will consider joining us this year, either for the first time, or as a returning card maker!

post any questions on this thread, or pm me. i will add you to the list on the first page when you let me know you want to be a part.

thanks for considering this!

rhonda towe (randasue)
p.o. box 583
Morrow, ga 30260

1. Disneylisa
2. bayamonesa1
3. pamela.tx
4. scalvert2542
5. pinkpaperairedale
6. Sharon Elise
7. Prittb
8. Ohio4HMom
9. terrihooper
10. renwa 33
11. Linda Haulsee
12. texlady

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to randasue

Already have about 20 made and a box of supplies ready to make more.

Diva
In response to disneylisa

I want to help. Please count on me.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to bayamonesa1

I would love to help out too!

scalvert2542
Expert
scalvert2542
In response to pamela.tx

You can count me in again!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to scalvert2542

I am on again for next summer. It will be my 3rd year. Thanks for doing this.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to pinkpaperairedale

thanks to all of you..those returning and those joining for the first time!

i couldn't do this without all of you, and i know that you will be blessed for taking part in this!

i have alot going on right now with my special needs daughter, so i probably won't be on here everyday, but if you have a question, pm me or just post it on this thread, and some of our returning cardmakers might be able to help you!

thanks again!

randasue

Veteran
In response to randasue

Count me in again!!!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to SHARON ELISE

Count me in again too!

Last year I sent 20 but I have 30 made now - so I am hoping to get many many more done by next spring. It is a great way to use up your left over pp pieces and embellies.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to prittb

The one's I sent this year came back to me I had the wrong zip code on them!

I'm going to resend them and make more!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Ohio4HMom

Count me in again--
Last time I made cards and left them blank so others could write a note in them-- Is that okay?

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to terrihooper

welcome back to the project...Sharon Elise, prittb
Ohio4HMom, and terrihooper!!

And to ohio4HMom..sorry that your cards were returned! but i am glad you are going to keep on wwith the card project!

tterrihooper...yes we are supposed to leave the inside of the cards blank so that the staff can
write notes inside.

if everyone on here could send a link to people
that they know, telling them about the card
project, maybe we would get some more people
involved. it really is a great project and the kids love it, so the more people we let know about it, the more we cards we can get made for the cmapers.

thanks again!

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee
In response to randasue

I can help- what size cards?? Thanks!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Linda Haulsee

Thanks for the ino about leaving them blank on the inside of the cards. I know last year I left them blank.

renwa33
Expert
renwa33
In response to randasue

Count me in again this year!

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to Linda Haulsee

• Linda Haulsee Said:
I can help- what size cards?? Thanks!

the cards can be any size you want to make them. i try to make mine on the small side, using up scraps and all, plus the staff doesn't have to fill up so much space with their writing if the cards aren't too big.....which makes a big difference when you are writing about 60 cards for each day of camp...

however...please do them whatever size you would like to make them...and they will be appreciated very much!
i am adding your name to the first post.

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to randasue

Count me in. Maybe I should say count us in. I have people at a retirement center helping make these. We have about 75 so far.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to texlady

glad to have you and your group texlady! it is amazing how many cards you can make when you get a group together!
bayamonesa1...i received your cards today, and they are really awesome! they look great, and i am thrilled that you want to make more!

we are off to a great start....please share this with anyone you think might be interested!

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to randasue

Texlady is not on the list on the front.

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to texlady

so sorry!! i surely didn't mean to leave you out. i remember thinking i needed to, and thought that i did! that's what happens when you get old!!! lol! sorry!!

hey everyone, please share this with your friends so that we can get more people to help us out this year..thanks

Diva
In response to randasue

You should have recieved my box of cards by now.

randasue
Guru
randasue

yes, i did, and they were awesome! I am sorry i haven't been on here..we are in the process of getting my special needs 26 year old daughter into a group home and there is so much paperwork, and stuff to do.
thank you for your cards and i know the kids will love them! i appreciate you so much!

randasue

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to randasue

we still need people to help with this years cards, so come on a join us ya'll!!!!!

Diva
In response to randasue

Thank you so much. I want to keep making cards for your program. Just let me know which themes are best for you and by when you will need them.

May God help you with the situaiton of your daughter. Praying for you and your family!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to randasue

hello,
i think this is the group iwant to join. i have a ton of cards to send out right away and since i can't stop making cards, and don't have that many people to send out to you may be just what i need.
I'm going to write you via snail mail for more details.

thanks, Deanna

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to cescrapper

We are working away on these. Bump

Diva
In response to texlady

I will send another batch in January!

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

Please add me to the list. This will be my third year. The first year, I didn't sign up, I just sent cards as I wasn't sure I could commit.

If there's a camp theme, please let us know.

Thanks for all you do for these deserving children and best of luck to you, your daughter and the rest of your family.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to susanlk

I'm in again!! I didn't send much last year but I hope to send more this year!!

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to Vivian Lake

I have 78 in a box. How many is to many?

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to texlady

• texlady Said:
I have 78 in a box. How many is to many?

I send about 200 every year all in one box.

smcdavid1
Resident
smcdavid1

Count me in I just starting but I need somethink do du spazely I have not many people to send cards. It may be take me a wile to get some cards together, but I like to help.

Are there kids how talk a deferend langwich ther english (may be german) and love to have some in ther langwich ?

Diva
In response to smcdavid1

I am in. I have a project to finish and I will start with the cards again.

texlady
Diva
texlady

How do you ship 200 cards, an $11 express box or something else?

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to texlady

Whatever box I can find that best fits them.

If you go to the USPS website you can use their calculate price tool to determine prices. A large flat rate priority box costs $16.85.

In my particular case (when I put in the respective zipcodes) I find that I can send an 8 lbs package to Rhonda for $15.66. 200 cards weigh significantly less then 8 lbs so in my case its cheaper to NOT use a flat rate box. In fact last year they weighed just under 3 lbs and cost me only $8.71 to send by priority mail in my own box. I do print postage labels online and that saved me about $1.25 so if you were walking in to the PO it would cost you close to $10 instead. Still cheaper then the flat rate. If the cards you make are all flat and are on the small side (mine often have flowers or 3D stickers) you might be able to use a medium box (I couldn't) but that would still run $12.35.

Of course these are the rates from my area. The rates from yours are probably different since postal rates ARE geographically based for packages.

texlady
Diva
texlady

Thx for the info LISA

Tenant
In response to randasue

My group plans to participate again. What is the deadline this year, and does the camp have a theme this year?

Tricia

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to tpeavler

2 questions:

How old are the children who receive the cards?

Do you want envelopes along with the cards?

Thanks for doing what you do!

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to litlplace

• litlplace Said:
2 questions:

How old are the children who receive the cards?

Do you want envelopes along with the cards?

Thanks for doing what you do!

Hope Rhonda doesn't mind me answering. From what I remember from doing this in past years the kids are anywhere from 6-15 yrs old and the cards do not need to have envelopes.

litlplace
Resident
litlplace

Thanks!

scalvert2542
Expert
scalvert2542
In response to litlplace

Anyone know if there is a theme yet for this year?

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to scalvert2542

I haven't seen any posts from Randa for a while. Is the camp going on this year? I have done the cards for the past 2 years and would be glad to do it again this year....just need an update.

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to litlplace

RandaSue has not been on since 12/6/12. I wonder what has happened?

Tenant
In response to texlady

I wrote to Randasue and she emailed me back to say the project is still definitely on and she will post here soon. She wanted me to let you know to keep on working on the cards!

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to tpeavler

OK, I figure I will keep adding to the box until the mid of june and then mail. I like doing this.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to texlady

thanks for the update!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Vivian Lake

Sending my cards out next week.

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to prittb

I think I will wait until the end of this month. Last yr camp was not until Aug. That will give her at least 2 months to get them organized.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to texlady

Can someone please put the mailing address here on this forum.

New Kid On the Block
In response to randasue

I would love to help out. I was making cards for military (350 cards just were sent to Afghanistan) (a group of about 10 of us made those).

Do I mail to the camp directly or all cards to you. Please let me know. Also can I add something about this on my blog?

New Kid On the Block
In response to randasue

VERY GOOD ?

Runescape Gold

Cheap Diablo 3 Gold

Buy RS Gold

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to steelergirl

This is the address to send the cards to:

Rhonda towe (randasue)
p.o. box 583
Morrow, ga 30260

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to prittb

Got some mailed out yesterday.

Tenant
In response to randasue

I'm just bumping this up so people will see it's time to start sending cards to Randasue for the foster kids camp. She's had some family things to deal with but she's still doing the cards for the camp. See the details in her first post to this thread.

I've got about 200 cards made and am having an event tomorrow to make more and then get them in the mail to her.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to tpeavler

Have to admit I kind of dropped the ball on this this year. It was partly due to the uncertainty about the MIA moderator, but also because I just haven't been as productive or enthusiastic lately with my scrapping or anything really.

I did make about 100 cards last fall for this before putting it aside. I'll see if I can do another dozen or 2 before sending them in, probably late next week.

randasue
Guru
randasue

I'm here ya'll and very sorry & disappointed in myself because this project means so much to me. Please accept my sincere apologies& know that this was not intentional!

The camp was moved up this year and it is June 23. So if you have any made please send them .i usually make 400 or more but I don't have many myself.

Just as a quick explanation cause I want y'all to know : my 96 year old daddy is still with us but is an invalid & can't get out of bed...going on 2 years now. I have had to stay with him more this past year and working fulltime& lots if health problems myself. Then my 27 year old special needs daughter has had some serious mental health problems and was in the hospital at least 6 times this past year.we finally made a decision to find a group home for her, & God directed us to the right one for her. By far the hardest thing I have ever done, but she us finally settling in and doing some better.

I am not telling you all this for sympathy, but so hopefully you will understand some of what has happened to me. For all the praying folks in this group --please keep us lifted up. Sometimes I still feel guilty about my daughter but I know it was the best for her.

Sorry for such a long post & for my absence through this year...and thank you for all your hard work on this project.

I will let you know as cards come in....I did receive several boxes/envelopes in the past few months.

Thank Yiu also much!!!!!

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to randasue

Randasue: Goog to hear from you. I will try and get my box mailed this week. Looking forward to hearing how things at camp were this yr.

Veteran
In response to texlady

MAILING OUT CARDS ON MONDAY!GOT 2 PKGS MAILED.NEXT YEAR I HAVE TO START EARLIER.

Edited by SHARON ELISE on 06-15-13 10:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to SHARON ELISE

Mine will be going out tomorrow. It's priority so you should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I managed to get quite a few done over the past week so the total is 173.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Hello Randa Sue. Sorry to hear about the difficulties you and your family are going through. I will have to start on cards for next year...

renwa33
Expert
renwa33

I just put my cards in the mail yesterday...I hadn't seen the post with the earlier camp date this year, so I'm afraid they will not arrive in time for this year's camp. Please consider them as a head start for next year... I'll start working on more for next year too...and this time send them out in May, lol!

I hope and pray that this year's camp is a success! Prayers for your family too, Rhonda.

texlady
Diva
texlady

it will be august before we hear from her.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics