Username Post: How would you do this?        (Topic#1582063)
Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

I want to make an anniversary decor thing. I want a pumpkin that looks like it has 2 joined wedding bands carved into it and have 'happy anniversary' in the vine along the bottom.

In my head it looks awesome. But I have no idea how to actually go about doing this. Any suggestions?

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Lamoo12

Do you have a Gypsy? That may work.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to tinadn

instead of carving it, can you use push pins or tacks to make the decoration? Ive seen this done on Pinterest!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Fargomutt

is this a one dimensional paper pumpkin? or like a ceramic or paper mache piece?

if flat paper, maybe punch the letters out of the pumpkin (freehand or stencils) and pop the whole pumpkin up on a dark background?

if paper mache, maybe use one of those wood burning tools or some other kind of tool with a really hot tip?!

Maybe create a shadow with paint and paint the sentiments on?

Good luck with it!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Lamoo12

I would like to suggest, rather than trying to create something perfectly on the computer (which could take hours!) to help you cut the pumpkin make a hybrid template (a combination of computer generated text/images and hand drawn elements).

Your scrapbooking cutting skills (scissor, die cut, cricut) & alphabet knowledge (for titles) are probably a lot better then your "generated something graphically from scratch on a computer" skills.

In fact...this may be the perfect opportunity to use up some old alphabet stickers. Either by placing them directly on the pumpkin, use them as a stencil on the pumpkin or by using them to create a template for the pumpkin.

I would go for, applying the alpha stickers on the pumpkin until you get them the way you want, get out a knife, and cut them out of the pumpkin. Then draw a vine, leaves, and the rings. Then decide if you want to cut them out too.

and, I can't said it enough times because I have made the same mistake, it's better to just "wing it" using old school skills like drawing & cutting then to spend HOURS making sometime perfect on a computer just so you can cut it out. Use your computer for the text if you have too but don't go nuts trying to make the whole image just perfect. It's a lot faster to have a couple failed scissor attempts.

PS and don't forget to leave little bridges in place to hold sections of the pumpkin in place. Example: you are cutting the ring. leave several little bridges to hold the center of the ring otherwise you end up with a giant hole.

Lookin4newideas
Governor
Lookin4newideas
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Is this going to be like a centerpiece with a real pumpkin fall motif? Do you want the rings and the Happy Anniversary in the vine carved into the pumpkin? Or just the rings carved in with some thing around them carved, and then around the base of the pumpkin, have a vine with some letters?
If you just want to have the rings carved in, you could put the pumpkin on a pedestal or small plate/dish then you can some letters from the craft store, even cut them out of heavy card stock to look like block letters. You'd have to do some measuring. Whatever kind of letters you want to use. You could ever paint the pumpking with a shimmering gold paint and use flowers around the base of the pumpkin with a pick that says Happy Anniversary with ivies and vines around.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Lookin4newideas

those are all great ideas. i hope to work on this next week since our anniversary is today.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics