Username Post: First Crop        (Topic#1582073)
jessicaLB
Expert
jessicaLB

I'm going to my first crop tomorrow, and not sure what to bring. Do most people have projects in mind, and take things specific to those projects, or do I just take a variety of stuff and start creating?
I'm worried about not having a certain supply.

So...when YOU go to a crop, how to you prep for it?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to jessicaLB

You can do whatever you like at a crop within the bounds of common sense (more on this later). What this means is…you can do any number of things typically associated with scrapbooking/crafts or even just spend the time sorting photos, writing journaling, and/or playing with layouts. Most people like to “complete” something at a crop. They feel a sense of satisfaction if they finish a page or card. I think it is more important to just go and enjoy what you are doing even if it is just sitting there and making page titles all day (which I have done numerous times).

If you want to see big results, from your crop experience, it is best to pre-plan. And preplanning means gathering all of the components you will need to complete a project. This is often called “making a page kit”. You pick out your photos, papers, embellishments, even layout ideas, tools you will need, etc. in advance and then assemble the page at the crop.

There have been lots of past posts asking what to bring to a crop but it boils down to bring the things you use most often (or need for the project you want to work on). Personally I have stopped dragging certain things to crops because they have become too bulky. Example: If I want to stamp something I take the specific stamp and ink NOT every stamp I own.

Now to the “common sense” part. Certain things can be too messy, too loud, or too disruptive to do at a crop. Think about your fellow scrappers. Examples: flatting bottle caps with a hammer not a good idea for a crop. Anything involving large cups of water probably also not a good idea. Anything involving fire…always best to do at home.

Number one piece of advice
“take your cues from the people in the room” If it’s a chatty bunch…talk away. If it’s a quiet bunch respect that.

Few more tips…
Turn your cell phone to vibrate and take all calls outside.
If you would like to borrow/try something ALWAYS ask first.
Leave valuables in your car.
Bring a small snack and drinks that reseal.
And my personal pet peeve, try not to gossip.

PS HAVE FUN!

oh I thought of one more thing. If you plan on bringing a kid or kids ask first. Some crops frown on bringing kids.

I don't mean to scare you. but I wanted to outline some of the common curtsies for a first timer.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I try to have a few page kits made and at least one project along with my cards and stamps.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sneezy1956

I always bring my basic supplies: trimmer, scissors, lots of adhesives, ruler, pens, etc. I through in a few of my favorite punches.

If I'm going to a store, I bring photos and sketches and then purchases paper and embellies there. If I'm cropping away from a store, then I bring papers and embellies to go with my photos.

Either way, I sometimes hit a stopping point where I cannot continue because I don't have a specific supply. In that case, I finish that layout/project at home and then move on to the next layout/project.

Have fun!

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to Luvmyfam

If its just a 6hr crop or so you may only get 2 to 4 Lo's done - depending on how you scrap. I try to do up kits but as I like to mix and match I tend to then be borrowing from other kits. I do not like working with everything from the same range as I feel stifled : ( You will definately need the 'Basic' Kit as the above girls have said. Our crops generally have a table set up where you can paint ,spray,hammer ( but no Fire)ect away from the others. They also have a kiddie area with tv,games and books. It can be daunting as some Ladies will turn up with 'everything' while others will be very streamlined (not me). Just go with the flow, enjoy yourself and work at your own pace, don't feel you need to keep up with the super scrappers(again not me). Hope you have a great time and please , put up what you do so we can see. Angela

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to ajsophios62

Large Ziploc baggies work great for assembling stuff for your layout. Use one baggie per layout. Pack the papers you think you will use but have a back up piece or two. Punches, stickles (always remember they take time to dry so Stickle early in the day! Ribbon, Ink. Go thru your stamps first and pick out the ones specific to the layout. Some plain colored brads can be painted to whatever color you need that day. A few generic background stamps usually come in handy.

Trimmer, Adhesive and Scissors are a must!

Above all have fun!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Trina_P

For me, I need to have my photos ready first...meaning choose the subject, date, occaision of your photos, knowing what photos you hope to "get through" will help you plan what to bring. I always hope to get tons done, and end up lucky to get 5-8 pages. I work slowly and meticulously, and try to get as many photos on a page as I can. So realistically, I can get 2-4 events scrapped.

Next I broadly choose papers to coordinate with my photos, not going as far as creating kits, but also not including summer papers if I am scrapping thanksgiving or christmas. If I plan to use letter stickers, I include those that match the color or style of papers, same with embellies etc.

As far as tools, I bring the usual paper trimmer, scissors, adhesives, craft mat, a couple pretty punches, circle cutters, and markers,,,whatever will fit in a tote. I try to take no more than a milkcrate of papers...which is still too much, but oh so fun!!

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Juansmom

i'm going to my first 15-hour crop next weekend. i've made page kits from recommendations here.

For example: One kit has pictures of my daughter and her first car. I put papers with it and some "first car" stickers I got at M's.

Another kit is this year's football cheerleading season. I put in papers in our school colors, Jolee's 3-D cheer stickers, several photos from the year, etc.

I cut out a few titles with my cricut and made more kits with specific things and photos. i'll also pack all the basic tools and my stash of alphabet stickers, a few punches, etc.

I put my kits in gallon ziplock bags.

Ok.....just realized you went to your crop TODAY. :). How was it ? And now, what advice do you have ? Did you have fun ?

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to 4tgrfans

I held a crop today and I took absolutely everything I own - ok maybe not but pretty close to it and didn't use any of it

the times I get the most done is when I make page kits up using 2 gallon plastic storage bags - I put the pics I want on the page, the paper/cardstock I think I want to use and embellishments in it, then I work on each page as I go. I get SO much more done this way

Edited by Ohio4HMom on 10-27-12 06:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to Ohio4HMom

Kits are great, especially for shorter crops (some of mine are 3-4 days!) But for me, a kit is simply the pictures, any patterned paper I might use, and any embellishments I might consider that are specific enough that I wouldn't take normally. I don't pull cardstock because I like to just take most of mine anyway. I put all of these "kits" in a large ziploc-type bag--I don't use one bag per LO.

Sometimes for shorter crops I will take a specific project to work on because then I can usually take few supplies...in theory!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to HuskerMom98

I now have a pre-made crop kit. It contains such things as scissors, adhesive (and refills), a ruler, a small paper trimmer, etc. In other words, the things you KNOW without a doubt you're going to be using. That way, you can just grab it and know your basic kit is already put together. Then you only have to worry about your photos, paper, etc. It sounds like a small thing, but I'll bet there are people here who have arrived at a crop only to realize they've forgotten something "basic". Just remember to restock it when you get home so it's ready to go next time.

jessicaLB
Expert
jessicaLB
In response to dwelch

Thank you guys so much! This was all very helpful, and I followed a lot of this advice, and it turned out well.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics