Username Post: Journaling        (Topic#1582083)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I blogged today about how I journaled about my daughters favorite things to do and some of her traits. Normally I journal about the story that goes with the photos but this time I did it differently. Do any of you journal by telling about the person's personality instead of a story?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Absolutely!
That is my favourite thing....I love to tell stories, not just scrapbook events. This is what I mean when I say that!
I would like my son to have a capsule of his life...the stories of his life. That will include stories about his parents, his grandparents, his personality, his favourite toys, the funny things he says and does, his quirks etc....
I'm a big fan of journalling and I think if one is going to journal, you may as well tell a real story, not just put down the place and time etc...
I still do pages on the main events (like birthdays, Halloween, Christmas etc.) but most of my pages are stories about his life and personality now (he's 6yrs. old)....
For example, when I organized my pictures and starting using tags, I discovered that I had a lot of pictures of my son eating ice cream. My dad (who passed away 2 yrs. ago now) was an ice cream fanatic. He always kept at least 12 flavours of ice cream in our freezer, when I was growing up.....He used to take us to this dairy on Sundays some times as a treat for ice cream and the dairy had about 30 different flavours of ice cream (which was A LOT back then!)...
I put the photos of my son together (2 yrs, 4 yrs, 6 yrs) and told that story about his "ice cream heritage".....
That kind of thing is more interesting to me than just scrapping the photo of my son and captioning it, "2007, eating ice cream while camping".....

I also discovered a bunch of pictures of my son, playing games on his ipod while in the grocery cart, at the spa (while I was getting a pedicure), camping etc...So I took those pictures and told the story of how I think kids don't have to wait for anything anymore. When I was a kid, we had to wait at the doctor's office, in the car, at the grocery store, etc. Now, kids all have devices to play games, text etc..
If we wanted to know something, we would have to drive to the library, look up a book on microfiche, find the book, read about the topic and drive home again....
Today, you just Google it!
We had to wait through commercials on tv. Now, you just use a remote to change channels.
Kids don't wait for anything anymore, everything is immediate.....so I told that story....

I think we all have stories to tell.....

Alison
Sorry for giving such a long answer! I'm a bit passionate about this topic!

Ice Cream Heritage By Kiyawinn

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to kiyawinn

Alison,
That layout is beautiful and what a great story! I journal about things like that as well but I've never done it where it was all about my daughters favorite things before. My son has some stories about things that he likes to do but he doesn't have a layout of his favorite things. I wish I could go back in time and journal more about his personality when he was younger. Now he's a teenager and its a different ball game.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Really nice layout I'm doing journaling too for my Heritage albums like names birth dates death, married to whome and who their children are.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to justartguy007

If you are talking about "favorite things" specifically.......yes, I've done those. I've done a "favorite toys" page and plan on doing a favorite sports page.....my son is involved in a few different activities but has a runaway favourite and I plan on doing a page with photos from various activities and journalling the story of his fav!

I also have a bunch of photos of my son being goofy so I plan on doing a page for his album with all the photos together.
He also loves hats and has been wearing them for years even tho he's only 6.......that will be a page....
I like doing "personality" pages!

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics