Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Sandy's on her way        (Topic#1582111)
moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to madmatter

We have heavier rain but no wind here in NH right now. Power is out in many areas, but they haven't started cancelling school for tomorrow yet.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to moxiegirl23

Schools are cancelled in my area, as is public transport and some roads that have flooded. I am off of work tomorrow, as well. According to the news, the worst should be hitting us about now. I can hear some serious wind out there and the rain is pouring down. Winds around here (in the Baltimore Annapolis corridor) are supposedly going to reach 85 mph gusts. They expect the worst of it to pass by tomorrow morning.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to siameseplease

the wind is absolutely crazy here right now ... trees and branches are down everywhere and we seem to be one of the only streets that still has power

Expert
In response to madmatter

Here in Northern Va...there has been some damage more to the coast. So far we still have power and I am staying inside. The winds pick up here and there. So far, all is good. As long as we don't lose power, I think I can handle it.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-30-12 03:21 AM
In response to deedee49

Well it's the morning after - at least for most of the East Coast but now Western PA, Western NY and even OH as well as ME and eastern provinces of Canada are due for it.

What a nightmare this has been for so many.

Hoping all of you are safe and sound.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to GMFTS

Thinking of you all - stay safe.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to kelseymel

I am just north of Baltimore and we are intact. no damage in or around our yard! Hubby is out trying to find a place for breakfast. We only had a few seconds of power outages all during the night.

Hope everyone else is safe and sound!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Fargomutt

We're safe and sound in PA this am....kept power all night.
Still windy and raining, calling for it to get snowy when the temp drops....

Glad everyone is safe.......thinking of our upper Eastern friends today......

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to ScrappyMama6

I've got power. The only issue I had was some water in my basement, but nothing major. My brother's family lost power, though. They stayed with me last night and are still here. No estimate yet on when they'll get it back. It could have been so much worse, though, so we feel blessed. A friend in NJ lost power and their estimate for restoring it is 10 days!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-30-12 12:43 PM
In response to siameseplease

MY dgks are in W VA but didn't get the blizzard - how I don't know but am very glad.

My brother in CT is without power indefinitely.

Thoughts with those in those terribly hard hit areas.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GMFTS

wow ... that was a storm the likes of which I hope I never have to live through again ... we are fine, finally got power back ... the greater NY area has been devastated and many are still without power ... school's been closed all week and will hopefully reopen on Monday ... I feel lucky that we came away as easily as we did

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-02-12 05:49 AM
In response to madmatter

I'm in Staten Island, NY and just got power back last night. Friends of ours lost everything, but are still counting their blessings that they are alive. I can't complain. My only loss was some food. Impossible to get gas here unless you want to wait on line for six hours. Even then, there's no guarantee that there will be gas left by the time you get up there.

Hope everyone continues to stay safe.

Anyone see Henri Jean on the boards? I know she was on a cruise that was going into Brooklyn this week. Hope she's okay.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to PDRNC

did anyone watch the benefit concert tonight?

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to madmatter

Henri Jean is doing fine, the cruise stayed up around Canada for the most part.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to madmatter

ah. finally home again from Ct. I am in Essex county but my DS and her family live in Nanuet.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Unique scrapper

I live maybe 10 minutes from Nanuet

School is finally reopening tomorrow, but some districts aren't reopening til Wednesday ... Tuesday was supposed to be off for a superintendent's conference, but it will now be a school day (they are trying to make up days wherever they can)

I still have a number of friends without power (my sister got hers back this morning) and have absolutely no idea how my oldest will get into Manhattan for college (supposedly resuming on Wednesday) because the path train is still down

on the plus side, gas lines have shortened (at least where I am) ... I only waited about 20 minutes yesterday

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-05-12 06:44 AM
In response to madmatter

Sad that we feel that waiting 20 minutes for gas is a good thing. The lines here are still blocks long and start before the gas station is even open. Glad to hear it's getting better by you, Mad.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to PDRNC

I know Staten Island is still a mess ... Have schools reopened there?

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-05-12 07:51 AM
In response to madmatter

There are a few schools that have not reopened, but those children were redirected to other schools. It seems like one grade was redirected to one school, next grade to another, and so on. Still such a disaster here.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to PDRNC

Will the kids have to make up those days, or will it be called as an emergency? Just wondering. We have only missed about 7 days of school in the last 20 years here.

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics