Username Post: Ink Pads????        (Topic#1582177)
LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee

What ink pads work best for the clear and wooden stamps i know the ink may stain a lil but some of my stamps r stained REALLLYY BAD.....ANY SUGGESTIONS

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to LeeCee

I use Stampin' Up ink. I love their inks!! I love the family colors, I love the coverage and that I can get matching paper and ribbon and brads!
As long as I clean my stamps (stamp cleaner is a must and a stamp scrubbing pad) they don't stain. Some of the cheaper clear stamps will discolor a little but those tend to be my cheaper stamps and I normally don't have much invested in them and got the for a quick project (like the 1.00 stamps from AC Moores and such).

Stazon ink will stain your stamps, but stazon cleaner will take it off as well.

If you have any questions about Stampin' Up ink, feel free to contact me or visit my blog for projects that I did using them.

New Kid On the Block
In response to LeeCee

Which stamp pads have you been using so far? There are several different types, pigment, dye and then stazon.

Pigment inks are opaque, stay wet longer than dye inks, and don't stain generally. Dye inks can stain, and stazon needs a stazon cleaner to get it off (as do their glue pads).

You should clean your stamps after each use to avoid staining, though some inks will stain over time anyway. I would get a stazon stamp cleaner and a scrubber (I have one I bought in a craft store that was quite inexpensive - $3), use that on all your stamps to get rid of the stains.

I have all those types of inks and don't get stains.

Edited by helen*mc on 11-01-12 06:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to helen*mc

Staining won't affect the use of your stamp, as long as you get the worst off. Tim Holtz is well known for not even bothering to clean his. He just stamps the excess off onto scrap paper.

I usually wipe mine with a damp cloth after use. As long as you don't stamp in black, forget to clean it, and then try stamping in pale pink, you'll be fine with a stained stamp.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

CTMH and Stampin Up are my favorites

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to bayamonesa1

I don't worry about staining since it wont affect the stamp, but I do try to wipe them down with baby wipes after I use them. The ink you use more depends on what you want to achieve as far as the look and what you are stamping on. The Staz On stamps are for stamping on acrylic, photos or even fabric. They stain the worst, but for certain types of stamping they are really the only ones that work. Chalk inks wipe off very easily, but they also take a long time to dry and dont give as crisp of an image.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to rebeccakeppel

I picked up a colorful little brochure at a big box store that had a chart about types of inks... showing what they are best used for and types of paper they are best for. It has been helpful to me because I was always trying to find out the same thing as you.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to pinkpaperairedale

don't stress over the staining - that will happen with most of your stamps and inks!! Just clean with a wipey or stamp cleaner for a crisp image!! I have used all kinds of inks with my stamps!

LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee
In response to SmartyPants

Thank you ladies Ü all have been very helpful.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-11-12 10:03 AM
In response to LeeCee

Yes, I also think this is pretty unavoidable, so you should just clean it with a wipey or something similar

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to max28

Close to My Heart inks are my favorite

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to pamela.tx

I only use Stampin' Up! There are so many colors to chose from and I love the size of the pads.

Diva
In response to sabine

I use SU and CTMH inks. I think no matter what as long as the stamp itself is clean, I don't mind the wooden part looking ugly!

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to bayamonesa1

I use Distress Inks a lot. I love the colors. If I plan to use my Copics on the stamped design, I use Memento Tuxedo black. I use Staz On for a lot of sentiments or titles. And Versa Mark if I want to emboss or use Perfect Pearls. I've tried Chalk Inks, but I'm not a fan - the colors seem dull and drying time is insanely long. And, like someone else said, staining doesn't matter to the design, but when it starts to bother me, I clean them up with the Ranger stamp cleaner. I love the way it smells!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to cindy71

I generally just stamp off the left-over ink and maybe wipe them down with a damp washcloth (I keep a black one in my scraproom for just that purpose). But I don't stress over staining. I just think of my stained stamps as being well-loved!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to dwelch

distress inks are water based (as Tim Holtz pipes out loud on every tutorial video LOL) and thus super easy to clean, just run the water or wipe with baby wipes. Pigments are okay - some more staining than others. I find dye inks are the hardest to clean, need to use the stamp cleaner and scrub..

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics