Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Talk me into this... Or not?        (Topic#1582215)
J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 10-30-12 06:39 PM

My DH is getting me a cutting machine as an early Christmas present, but I'm struggling with which one to get. The cricut mini seems perfect - except that I understand you need a computer to use it and there's not much room in my scrap room for that. Which leaves me with the Expression, but even on sale seems a LOT to spend on myself.

So - is it worth it? Talk me into - or out of - it!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to J-M

I have had the little bug, now have the expression but my next want is the silhouette cameo.

Why?

I'm tired of investing in cartridges that only have few images that I need. Plus my gypsy died so I can't have as much fun with all of the cartridges I have without using the cricut craft room on the website. So if I have to a laptop anyway, I'm thinking about getting the cameo and just paying for images I need.

I will still use my E, but I've read the Cameo cuts intricate designs much cleaner.

So it depends on your space anf your budget for cartridges.

Happy shopping

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to pugs223

I already have the BigShot and I love it....I use it all the time to diecut and emboss.
What I have my eye on now is the Silhouette because I want to be able to cut fonts from my computer....

Alison

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to kiyawinn

The Mini and Silhouette will both need to be used with a computer, so if you don't have the room for that, then both of those are out.
Your next option would be the E or E2.
But remember you have to purchase carts to use it.
I have all the machines I mentioned and if I had to do it over, I would only own the Silhouette. Not that I don't like the Cricuts, it's just the $1000. of dollars spent on carts.

I got my Silhouette for $200 but I had to wait a couple months to get it. So, it was the same price the E2 is going for when on sale. With a subscription to the Silhouette online store, the cuts are very, very affordable.
Good luck with your decision.
And don't worry about spending that kind of money on yourself, I'm sure you deserve it!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to ChansGram

I have a Cuttlebug and the original Silhouette. I think that's the perfect combination, as long as you're computer-savvy, which you are.

The Silhouette Cameo has an SD slot. That means that you can design your shapes on the computer in another room, save them onto an SD card, then cut them in your craft room.

Doesn't that tick all the boxes?

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to RedSquirrel

Silhouette all the way. Here's another saver: you can get digital kits (many are $1 or free, and many from the 'designer' scrappy brands) and you can cut anything from those kits over and over again.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to LesleyC

If you are eyeing the mini, then you might want to look at the Portrait. It is a smaller version of the Cameo. Yes, you need a computer. However, if you have a laptop, you can design while watching TV or spending time with the family and go into your craft area and cut...just a thought.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to HisGEM

First of all, I'd weigh how much you think you'll use it. And then whether or not you want to be tied to the computer when you do use it. One step below the Expression is the Create. It's smaller in size, and has many of the expanded features that the Expression has. It doesn't cut the 12x12 mats, however - only the 6x12. I have the Expression, but find I still grab my Create most of the time. I do agree that the Big Shot is great (I have one) but the disadvantage is that you are limited to cutting only the specific size of your die, where you can adjust your cuts to many sizes with the Cricut. On the other hand, you can emboss with the Big Shot, but can't with the Cricut. Let us know what you decide!

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to dwelch

I love my E and I love my baby bug too (but I wanted to be able to make bigger cuts). I use it all the time, for scrapbooking, card making and all kinds of crafts. I love the little boxes and stuff it cuts out.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to cshortel

I love my E2 although the cartridges can definitely get expensive.

Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I have an expression and I get my cartridges at amazon. There are some really good deals there so it lessens the financial pain. Lol.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Katydidd

Awesome Christmas present Jenn - how cool!

I have the Cricut that came before the Expression. Thought of trading up but the Expression is way to complex and difficult for me. I like to keep it simple.

I've gotten lazy and almost always use sticker letters but I have hundreds of sheets of them. I need to use my Cricut more.

I have a Gypsy and that is fun to play with but I have a lot to learn before I'm really any good with the Gypsy. Need a lot of practice.

That is one advantage to the Cricut. The Gypsy isn't that expensive and it is small to fit in a purse. On vacations I take it and when I take photos of a place I can make my titles on the Gypsy in the car or on a cruise ship or plane. Then went I get home I can just plug it in and cut it out. I like that a lot!

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Henri Jean

I just got my Expression 2 this week and am slowly getting used to it. I have used the Expression at a crop several times and I really like it. I went for the E2 because it was a newer version, more features, etc. Yesterday being my first day to play with it, I was second guessing it but I think with practice and venturing out into the different things it can do, I will be happy with it.

Veteran
In response to Trina_P

I have a basic cricut (the original). I bought an E2 and have yet to take it out of the box. I'm going to though!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to brightbeginnings

i've put the e on my list. if i get it, i'll be paying it forward and giving my baby bug to my friend juanita.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to flutterbye0419

The more I play with my E2 the more I fall in love with it. YouTube has become my friend though for learning some of the things that the E2 can do.

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I have the original Cricut, the Expressions Cricut, and the Big Shots. I love my Big Shots for making things i want, because I bought the dies that I wanted and would use alot. The expressions is very nice, but like the ladies said, you get a cartridge because it has a few shapes you want on it, but spend alot on. I will keep mine and use the cartridges I have, but unless I get a major deal on a cartridge I am not buying new ones. I also have the Slice, but use it that often, but that was because I didn't have the spray I needed. I have it now. I found a place to get the cartridges for that cheap and more shapes and stuff that I like on those.

But I plan to get a Cameo the first part of the year, because I want the ease of the computer and fonts I can use. It will be worth the investment.

Diva
In response to TJCraftyWitch

I like my original Cricut!

Cupcakes for Chloe
Pro
Cupcakes for Chloe
In response to bayamonesa1

I am selling all my cricut stuff....Why? Because I have fallen in LOVE with my new cameo! I no longer need to buy cartridges for just one image!

And as someone with the original, the expression, Imagine & mini & and quite a few cartridges along with a gypsy...That was a huge choice for me to make! I actually love the fact that you need a computer to use the Cameo, because I love being able to see exactly how big the image will be cut before I stick the paper in there! It may seem cumbersome to need the computer but it really does make it MUCH easier!

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to Cupcakes for Chloe

• Cupcakes for Chloe Said:
I am selling all my cricut stuff....Why? Because I have fallen in LOVE with my new cameo! I no longer need to buy cartridges for just one image!

And as someone with the original, the expression, Imagine & mini & and quite a few cartridges along with a gypsy...That was a huge choice for me to make! I actually love the fact that you need a computer to use the Cameo, because I love being able to see exactly how big the image will be cut before I stick the paper in there! It may seem cumbersome to need the computer but it really does make it MUCH easier!

This. And the comment that you can design everything while watching tv (or cooking thanksgiving dinner!) and then cut it later. If space is at a premium, then I second the suggestion for a portrait.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics