Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Prays need for my Brother        (Topic#1582247)
shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse

A week ago my brother stepped on a piece of glass and because of a previous injury he had no feeling in the bottom of his foot and didn't know until a few days later that glass was in bottom of foot. The Doctor dug the glass out and put him on anitibiotics for a few days everything seem to be fine. Yesterday while my father was helping him change the bandage. They noticed some redness and swelling. Went back to dr and they found more infection and decided to admit him. This morning I got a call telling me it was worse then they thought they are right now Amputating his leg at just below the knee. I should also say he is diabetic. Please keep my brother in your prayers as the next few months are sure to be rough.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to shortmouse

Oh Sheila! I am so sorry! Dear Father in Heaven, I come to you right now on behalf of Sheila's brother. Lord, please be with the surgeons and other medical people. Father, guide their hands and thoughts. Be with her brother and the whole family, comfort them as only you can. In Jesus' Precious Name, Amen!
Keep us posted!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to 2xblessed

I'm so sorry Sheila. I sent up a little one for your brother and here's a for you.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to RedSquirrel

How is your brother?

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to t-scraps

Sheila? Let us know how he is doing, please!

New Kid On the Block
In response to 2xblessed

Also, wondering if there is an update. Will be praying!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Busybody

Starting to worry!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to 2xblessed

Sorry for not getting back been having trouble getting info from my parents they tend to keep me in the dark cause I live so faraway. Monday if things go according to plan he will be going to rehab for 6 weeks. They say they will have him up and walking on a prosthetic by then. As of right now he isn't getting any therapy for his mental state...I would think that would start the day after surgery. Last night when I talked to my parents they are talking about him sleeping in the living room. (my brother is 50 and has never left home.) Because of his size and weight in order for him to get into his room they will have to widen doors. My mom I think is still in a little denial on the idea that they will have to get a lot of work done before he can even come home. Please keep praying he has (and my parents)have a long long road ahead of them. My plans now are to be there to help when they get him home which if things go as they plan will be shortly before or shortly after Christmas.
Please forgive me for how I ramble on. I sometimes tend to bounce from one thing to another. Thank you all for your prayers.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

So glad to hear he came through surgery ok!
Did they amputate above or below the knee? The reason I am asking is that I am a below knee amputee. My amputation was done when I was 3 due to a broken bone that would not heal. I don't know if it is true or not, but have been told it is harder for someone if their amputation is above the knee. I agree with you that at your brother's age, he really should receive counseling now, rather than later. If he is going to live with your mom and dad then they should also receive counseling. Do they have a pastor or priest they could talk to? My prayers will continue for all of y'all! You can PM me if you want to ask questions or to just vent. I will try to help if I can.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
So glad to hear he came through surgery ok!
Did they amputate above or below the knee? The reason I am asking is that I am a below knee amputee. My amputation was done when I was 3 due to a broken bone that would not heal. I don't know if it is true or not, but have been told it is harder for someone if their amputation is above the knee. I agree with you that at your brother's age, he really should receive counseling now, rather than later. If he is going to live with your mom and dad then they should also receive counseling. Do they have a pastor or priest they could talk to? My prayers will continue for all of y'all! You can PM me if you want to ask questions or to just vent. I will try to help if I can.

They amputated below the knee. They are hoping that it doesn't have to be more. Yes they have a very loving church and priest and are receiving support from them. I think they should also be talking to someone in the hospital. If I was there I would certainly be asking the questions. I tried to get mom to call me while dr was in room but it being the weekend they just had the house dr for lack of better word. They will be seeing the regular dr today. My brother is now worrying about the expense of it all, he is insured but they are not sure what is covered. My mom keeps telling him that as long as they make monthly payments not to worry that right now to just think about getting up and about. I guess he had a bad night last night. They have him on antibiotics which causes him to have bathroom issues and by the time the nurse gets there it is to late which upsets him even more. I will find out this evening when he for sure goes to the rehab facility. Thank you for your prayers. And thank you for the offer of a shoulder I just might take you up on that.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Anytime! I have worn an artificial leg since I was 3. I don't remember having 2 "real" legs. Tell your brother I suggest calling the nurse help to go to the bathroom about 30 minutes BEFORE he thinks he needs to go. I have been in the hospital for other problems (non-leg) and have learned to always ask the nurse for something before you actually need it. That way you might get it on time. I love good nurses and know they are over worked and under paid. On the other hand, I have had them who were way over paid considering they did very little work and griped in front of the patients the whole time.
Is your brother able to get up by himself? If so, he should request a bedside potty chair. That way he could go when he needs to if your mom or dad is there to stand by in case he needs help. Prayers continue and again, I am here if you need a shoulder or have a question I might could help with.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to 2xblessed

Just got some bad news last night. My brother has had a set back and an infection has set in. Then to top it off my mother started having heart issues. My husband and I are getting things together and will be leaving around 2 in the morning for the 18 hour drive. If you don't see a post from me in the next couple of days it is because I can't get to internet access. Please keep praying.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

I am so sorry Sheila! Prayers for your family and for travel grace. Where is he now?

Diva
In response to 2xblessed

Praying for strenght ,health and fast recovery!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to bayamonesa1

I have finally been able to sit now with computer and internet. The last 3 days have been really busy. Left our home in Mississippi on Wed morn and 2am and arrived here in Fort Wayne at about 6pm. Yesterday was spent with my brother in hospital. They finally got the infection under controll and he looks so good. and his spirits seem so up. We have been spending the day today fighting with the insurance company. It is time for him to be moved from Hospital to rehab. The insurance is dragging their feet and won't give approval. In one letter my parents received it says that he is not approved for the surgery. It is so confusing. In the mean time the stress is really getting to my mom. She has a pass maker and it is now acting up. She just had it replaced last year. They are running some test to what the issue is. I feel so much better being here and being able to help my parents where I can and let them get some rest. Will try to keep you up to date and thank you all so much for your prayers.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Glad to read your brother is doing better. I hope and pray your mother will start feeling better soon. Insurance can be such a pain and it seems like some insurance companies search out for the dumbest/most calloused people to review and ultimately deny legitimate claims. I have a dear friend who was nearly killed on the job almost 2 years ago. He is still fighting with them trying to get the surgery and other help he needs. I have told him that he is going to have get nasty and tell them he is going to sue and then do so! It was the company's fault he was hurt in the first place. I wish he would sue and win a huge settlement where the company would be working for him the rest of his life and then for his children and grandchildren and so on!
I will continue to lift all of your family up in prayer.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to 2xblessed

Wow, I will send him some Positive Prayers!! I am diabetic too, have been for 45 years. But have had friends also with it who have had feet or leg amputations. It is a difficult road but one can get along if they try. I have been very lucky I think and had very knowledgeable Parents too so did well as a child. Adult life is another story, but common sense can take care of a lot of things.

I broke my leg a few years ago and found the workers at physical rehab in the hospital to be very supportive and encouraging, which helped me so much! It was a spiral break and they would not let me go home till the stuff was done at our home- wheelchair ramp among other things. But once home I started doing better just being in a familiar place!
Sending him a big healing hug and a Big batch of Positive

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to catzscrapper

Things are not going to well here for my brother. He gets over one hurdle to find another. They can't find a bed long enough for him in the rehab and he wakes up numb on one side because the bed leans to one side. We here the rehab part of this facility is the best in town but because of his insurance he has to stay in the nursing home part and wheeled over daily to rehab. My parents aren't helping matter much I don't know how many times my mother has froze us out and ignored what we say. We keep telling her things like if you treat him like an invalid that is what he will become. The therapist says one thing and my mother hears something totally different. We all heard 6 to 8 weeks minimum but my mom heard 6 months. I am so afraid when we leave on Friday everything that was accomplished will go out the window so to speak. They look like they will have a long long way to go.
On a different note, part of the shower door that started this all was still hanging when we got here so my husband and I removed the rest. After we got it out I took a hammer to it and hit it at least 20 or 30 times and could not break it so we put it in the garbage in hope the garbage men would pick it up. Just watched now as I write this they picked it up and in the process the glass shattered all in my parents drive way and as I watched them drive away with the bag hanging out of their they are trailing glass down the street. Going out now to start cleaning it up. Thank you all your prayers both silent and spoken.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Sheila, I am so sorry your family is having to deal with this. Hope your brother can start getting serious about rehab and works hard to get better. It sounds like your mom is scared of losing her control over her "baby", your brother.
Prayers will continue.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to 2xblessed

Life has kinda gotten away with me here. After our unexpected trip home and back I have been pretty much busy in my life and haven't been up to posting.

My brother and parents are finally starting to understand what life will be like for them after my brother's amputation.

He is walking now with the aid of a walker. It will be awhile before he gets his prosthetic. He will probably be home from the rehab before that even happens.

My mother's issue with her heart had to do with one of her meds and they have that under control now.

I can't say everything is back to normal but that it is on a different path now.

I want to thank you all for your continued prayer.

Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics