Username Post: Help! I want to make a scrapbook for my girlfriend and propose..        (Topic#1582413)
Tenant

Hi guys,

I may be a little bit over my head here but I'm determined to make this work... So I read a few articles, but I am still a little overwhelmed by the task I am about to partake. I want to make a nice scrapbook for my gf, and give it to her for her birthday present. The plan is to give it to her on vacation and propose after she goes through it! looking for some help in making this special gift!

I briefly went through some layouts and everything looks so advanced! My goal is to make something nice, but too intricate in detail where it will take super long. I have pictures, stubs, receipts, to include in the scrapbook. so far I only bought an album, and some neutral color card stock..

I dont know where to start and was just looking for help in laying out my scrapbook. i want to do some minimal journaling also (for the pictures) and wondered how i can make that look nice on they layouts..

i was gonna buy a scrapbooking "kit", but i don't know if that's the best route to choose.

any help would be appreciated!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 11-05-12 05:48 PM
In response to mr scrappy

What a nice idea!

First, what size is the album you bought? 12x12, 8x8?

A smaller size, like 8x8, would go quicker than a 12x12. I usually put only 1 pic (4x6 or 3x5) on an 8x8 with a mat and maybe a title.

Maybe you could search the gallery for "clean and simple" LO's. I consider most of my LO's to be clean and simple. You could mount the pic on a solid color mat slightly larger (1/4 inch or so) and then mount that on a pattern paper. You could just attach ticket stubs with a brad and a short note about the event.

Journaling is whatever you want - sometimes I type my journaling then print it on vellum or cardstock.

Don't worry about being plain or fancy - whatever you do is YOUR decision and I'm sure she will love it!!!

Tenant
In response to Tivi

hello tivi,

thanks for the response! its a 12x12 album, so i got my work cut out i plan to put at least 2-3 pictures on each page so that should help fill the spacing

for cohesiveness, is it generally to a good idea to stick with patterned paper from the same "stack"? i saw dif stacks when shopping at joannes

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Each page can be different. It is up to you or you can use the same paper pack through the book. Mixed in with some plain soild cardstock, it breaks up the pattern nicely and would probably cover the whole book for you!
I would start with sketches. Sketches are easy way to get the process started!!! I have a board on pinterest of just sketches!!!! You can find them here in the gallery as well!!

Tenant
In response to binkiemonstermom

thanks binkie! i was looking for your sketches in the gallery but didn't see them.. just a bunch of nice layouts. am i looking in the right place?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

do a main search for sketches. I have sketches on my pinterest boards. They are not mine sketches but that I have pinned. In the gallery here, people post sketches as well. Hope this helps.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 11-06-12 06:35 PM
In response to binkiemonstermom

You can also do a google search for scrapbook sketches.

www.pagemaps.com is a good one.

2 or 3 pics on a 12x12 is good. Be creative with them - you can overlap the pics, double mat just one of them, whatever looks good to you.

My oldest daughter's wedding album (8x8) is a mixture of DCWV Once Upon A Time stack and solid cardstock. Using a stack like that (vs. "regular" pattern paper) helps fill the space. It's a little hard to explain, but the papers in that stack have definite "scenes" like a castle on a hill, or stars in the night sky.

Have fun!!!

Tenant
In response to Tivi

thanks for the great tip guys! loving pagemaps right now.

Tenant

fyi, i bought a basic scrapbooking kit last night and found this link:

http://www.colorbok.com/wp-content/uploads/20 11/02/MS_T...

i think i'll use some of these sketches as my basic layout and add my own finishing touches and style at the end.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

You probably have it all planned out...but if it were me...on the last page, I'd have it all fancy looking with the ring tied to a pretty bow. She turns to that page and that's your cue to drop to your knee :>) Later you could replace the ring with a picture of it and a little journaling explaining how you did it all.

In a hidden pocket or something, I would put the ring receipt, or a copy of it. Even I am amazed when I see the receipt from my rings. They were bought back in 1966 and what seemed so expensive to us then, is peanuts today

I was going to suggest switching to a smashbook...basically scrapbooking without all the extra glitz, but it sounds like you have a good plan going~

However you do it, what a great gift for her. She's a lucky gal!~Judy

Tenant
In response to mrsdriver5

hey judy,

that's a great idea! i haven't thought it all out yet, but i have floated around several ideas in my head. it crossed my mine to put the ring on the last page.. i would have to figure out how to get the ring in there w/out getting the book too bulky near that area... any suggestions?

i love the part of putting how i proposed on the last pages too.. definitely will want to journal that.

thanks for the suggestions! much appreciated!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Once you get going, you might want to add a few flowers or other thicker embellishments or souvenirs that go with things you've done or things that remind you of your lucky girl and so you would have a few thicker pages anyway. Just tell her that the book has to be read in order from front to back to get the sequence of events :>)

If you look through the gallery, you'll see some people make some really thick pages. One with a ribbon and ring, maybe a few flowers, shouldn't have to be real thick.~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

How sweet - you sound like you are going to be a wonderful and caring husband!

I made one 8 x 8 and it was so difficult to me, the 12 x 12's are easier for me but a lot of people here enjoy making the smaller ones. The smaller ones just don't work for me but I love looking at 8 x 8 books that other people have made.

I always start with scrap 12 x 12 paper that comes in the filler packs and arrange my layouts on that. Once I start playing with it the colors jump out at me and I know exactly what I need for the page - papers, embellies, etc.

I scrap each one or two-page layout by itself and I tend to scrap by theme. If its a Halloween picture I use fall papers or Halloween papers. If its a trip to the zoo I like zoo papers. I like every page to be a surprise.

Tenant
In response to Henri Jean

thanks again for the suggestions guys, i'm beginning to realize why the hardcore scrappers have rooms dedicated to this! my dining table is a mess hahaha! for now i printed my pics on a colored printer and did some test layouts w/out tape or glue. this is proving to be very helpful!

scrappy_girl77
Tenant
scrappy_girl77

I hope your project goes well! You sound like you are off to a great start! My only add would be to ensure that you are using archival safe adhesive - if you bought scrapbook branded adhesive it should be great. I am sure that your girlfriend will want to cherish the album for years to come and you don't want it falling apart 10 yrs from now or turning yellow because of the glue! Best of luck to you both!!

srichter
Resident
srichter
In response to scrappy_girl77

What a wonderful thing you're doing. Everyone has given you great suggestions, if I can offer another...

If you have a local scrapbook store, try calling and seeing if they have a workshop night or time where you could bring your project in progress and perhaps get some help. Scrapbookers are always happy to help out AND it will give you some extra room to work on your project.

Good luck

Tenant
In response to srichter

thanks for all the help everyone!!!! operation was a success! my gf (now fiance) loved it

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Congratulations! Glad to hear that everything went so well!

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 12-05-12 11:31 AM

Aw, how sweet! Post pics in the gallery so we can see!

Tenant
In response to Rae_M

whats the easiest way to take pics of your layouts?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I take them out in good light without the sheet portectors and snap a picture. Then in Microsoft office I crop it and adjust color if necessary.

Then load into my gallery.

Tenant

Ok Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

Tenant

hey guys,

I added the layouts to my gallery! Let me know what you think.. Sorry for the crooked pics.. I promise they are all straight in real life haha.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

Congratulations!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Most people take them outside in good daylight, lay them on the ground and take a shot from above them. I'm short and can't get away from my shadow.

My way is to stand the LO up against my flat screen monitor when it's turned off so it's black. Then I line up the top and a side with the top and side of my camera screen to make sure I'm straight. A small tabletop tripod works great, or if you use the self-timer, then you won't get the jerk when you squeeze the camera button. I do any additional editing in PhotoImpact (or any photo editing program) to crop, brighten/darken, etc. Oh...and no flash, especially if you have glossy photos on your LO. And take the LO out of the page protector.

Congrats! When is the Big Day? ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

By the time I got my previous comment made, others had already given you some good advice.

I enjoyed looking through your gallery. Great LOs and great, happy ending :>) Maybe scrapping is something the two of you could enjoy doing together. Another week and it will be our 46th anniversary. I sure wish we had a book, well, volumes of books, covering those years we've had together. It's much easier to keep up then to try to catch up!~Judy

Maggie Hen
New Kid On the Block
Maggie Hen

How romantic! And congratulations on your engaged status!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics