Username Post: HELP Glue & Glitter        (Topic#1582455)
a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins

Hey I need some input on different glues or techniques. When using glitter.
I have made a few cards this week and after my project was done the glitter fall off.
I realize some will dust off but in this case it all came off.
This is what I used
Regular white glued on a large area
Covered the glue with all purpose glitter
Glitter seemed to stay it the beginning after completely dry I went to brush off any excess glitter and it all came off

~CRW~
~CRW~ 
Veteran
~CRW~
  • ~CRW~ on 11-06-12 01:27 PM
In response to a_hodgins

Hi! So sorry you're having so much trouble with the glitter. I have never had that problem myself but my suggestion would be to apply some paper glaze (such as Aileen's Paper Glaze or Glossy Accents) over the glittered area you want the glitter to stay in and let the whole thing dry completely- then brush off any starys with a fluffy paintbrush. It's what I do if Im in doubt about the glue or the glitter. You might also try a finer glitter. Hope this helps you

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to a_hodgins

How did you heat emboss and which specific products did you use?

Even with regular white glue (I'm assuming Elmer's?) it should have worked - goodness knows I have enough glitter art work from my kids and it stayed on fairly well. Or was it a different kind of white glue? There are a lot.
For ALL your glitter to come off, that seems odd. I can't think of any liquid glue I've used that allowed all the glitter to come off when dry. Did you let the glue dry too much before applying glitter?

And how big is the space you're trying to glitter?

Edited by Here Kitty on 11-07-12 04:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to Here Kitty

I used the white glue but also the Multi-Purpose Tomboy glue.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to bayamonesa1

i had the same thing happen, then i tried STICKLES! i will never go back to traditional glitter/glue combination! it's stickles/studio g glitter glue all the way. it stays put and you can get so many more colors!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to flutterbye0419

Stickles is expensive to use for large areas though IMO.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

amy, you have a point, but, with that said, you can get studio g for the same effect, not quite the quality of stickles, but for 1/2 the price.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

True, but depending on how large the area is she's working with, using a glitter glue like that can warp your paper. I love using Stickles for accents and smaller spaces, but it's not my pick for spreading over a larger surface. When it's spread out, it's not nearly as sparkly, either.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864

Have you tried using a Zig glue pen? It works really well for me.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

• Here Kitty Said:
True, but depending on how large the area is she's working with, using a glitter glue like that can warp your paper. I love using Stickles for accents and smaller spaces, but it's not my pick for spreading over a larger surface. When it's spread out, it's not nearly as sparkly, either.

i guess i didn't think about spreading it like that... i don't tend to like use it for something like that... that's why i have glittered cardstock... i use that when i want a larger area of the page covered with a glitter... there's better coverage and it doesn't flake away at all... for example,

Papa's Lil Peanut By Flutterbye0419

here i wanted to have lots of glitter to bring out the simplicity of the layout... and love the way it came out. i wouldn't have gotten that look with anything other than a glitter cardstock... see what i mean, and i've never done whole pages with glitter glue so i've never had an issue of the pages curling...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I agree - love glittered cardstock!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

not sure if you've tried it, but metallic is another of my go to cs's that way i get a more interesting layout. I am running low on the metallic, so need to pick more up

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Yep, I love all the specialty cardstocks. They're a lot of fun!

lori1963
Veteran
lori1963

I lightly mist the area I glittered with canned hair spray. It seems to seal the glitter in !

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to lori1963

I agree that the light coating of hairspray helps it stay in place.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I use white wood glue. It holds the glitter well. It dries up clearly. It doesnt have to be the expensive kind either....

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to TheCharmedOne

Hey thanks everyone for your input.
I have kinda gave up on the glitter for now it just bothered me so much
After Christmas I may try the stickles
I have seen the glitter cardstock as well.
I also read on here to use hair spray that just might work.
I was making a card and emmbossed it with a floral design folder and i had just wanted to add glitter on the raised part of the card went on well but after it was dry a lot came off maybe i didn't use enough glue
Thanks agian sooo much for all your help

alex_s 
New Kid On the Block
In response to a_hodgins

Sorry for you that it didn't work out with the glitter. I usually use glue pens and don't have a problem. However, I have to be careful with storage as the glitter falls of if it touches my box.

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 12-21-12 07:15 AM
In response to alex_s

i recently saw a youtube where the girl used her Zyron sticker maker and then put glitter on it and put it in a blank floder paper and ran it through her big kit and no glitter flaked off. Ihave tried it and applied the glitter pretty heavy and it worked ver well.

I normally hate glitter because it gets everywhere but with this technique I am okay using it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics