Username Post: Stampin' Up?        (Topic#1582481)
sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine

Hi, I'm thinking of becoming a Stampin' Up demonstrator. Are there any demonstrators here and would you recommend signing up now? I don't have many friends who scrap and it would be mostly for my own supplies, but any input is appreciated!!!

Diva
In response to sabine

I signed up but then I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and was unable to do anything with it. I like the company for the card making ideas and the Spanish stamps (probably the only company that appeals to the Hispanic community!). If you are more of a scrapper (layouts, pages, etc.) it may not be great. I personally find thatthey are more card makers than anything. I do love their stamps!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to sabine

Hi Sabine! I was one for a few years 12 or so years ago but found the quotas too high and the 'religious' aspect of it a bit much for me. My upline was very religiously pushy and when I commented that I found that too pushy, she quit talking to me!! Nice huh? But hopefully that was just her and not everybody, the Support team was not pushy either. I did work with a Jewish lady who commented that the line of stamps her and her Mom liked for religious purposes was wonderful. The stamps are great quality and I love the line of inks for other craft projects. I have met other domonstrators who were sweet people and not pushy at all since then. If you decide to go for it I would love to place small orders from you when my budget permits! I do scrap and make cards also and the ideas available to the demonstrators was awesome, besides the company support which was also excellent.
The original reason I had decided with that company was a lady who was a demonstrator who worked with my Auntie at a nursing home and she was such a personable lady and fantastic demonstrator, she was in her 50's but acted like she was in her 20's and just got so excited about showing anybody how to create something unique.
Don't let my issues with them trouble you, I am pretty sure not everybody behaves as my upline did. But let me know if you decide to join as I will be needing a catalog and some inks as soon as I can get the $ together! Not many things worse that running out of inks!!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to catzscrapper

Janet, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your upline. I've had two demonstrators and one upline and neither talked about religion ever. I think it depends on who you get really. The company as a whole doesn't bring up religion either. So maybe if it was a company thing, they listened to the complaints and changed ways.

If you become a demo, be aware of the minimums. The minimums are $300 every quarter. But if you get into it now, you have until the end of March to meet those requirements. So that gives you plenty of time to establish clients if you go that route. Or just to purchase things within a scrap budget. Plus if you sign up right now, you get a whole color family ink pad set.

I really enjoyed being a part of the community. I just stopped in April but I loved the support my upline provided. She had monthly meetings to exchange ideas with her other demonstrators. She did card exchanges and taught different ways to get clients. Like I touched on in my other post, you can really get some parties if you have an outlet to get people interested, such as a job or if you're involved with a school or church of some type.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to bayamonesa1

• bayamonesa1 Said:
I signed up but then I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and was unable to do anything with it. I like the company for the card making ideas and the Spanish stamps (probably the only company that appeals to the Hispanic community!). If you are more of a scrapper (layouts, pages, etc.) it may not be great. I personally find thatthey are more card makers than anything. I do love their stamps!

I love that they have a whole spanish catalog. They also do french stamps.
I think that if you do mostly cards, Stampin Up is great for that. If you do more scrapbook pages, Close to my Heart is more appropriate. They focus on scrapbook pages with stamps thrown in to accent what they have. Stampin Up is great for individualizing cards and other paper crafts.

Oh, and one more thing, there's another website that is WONDERFUL for stampin up. You can look up cards that use the specific set you like. Every stamp set is there, alphabetically. I enjoy it because I can pick out a stamp set, look up what other people have done and see it be really used. A stamp set may look adorable but if I can't see how I'd really use it, it would probably be a waste of money. It's also great if you need specific inspiration for a stamp set you already own. I know they have stamp sets from 2006 on there so I don't think they get rid of them either.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to fknapoleon

Thanks Kendra. Yes I know people are different and not everyone is pushy. I had other things going on then and worked at a job with really neat people who were into stamping also so parties were easier. The minimums were what killed me when I left there. But I always liked their stamps.

I was a demo for a store for a while, showed customers how to stamp and cool projects for kids and all that and it was the best! No minimums! But the store eventually closed and then I was a demo for another company who also closed...this was over about a 10 year period. But I do love to show people fun things to make and enjoyed hearing the stories of people carving potatoes and other vegies to stamp with, I did some of those too. The price of groceries does not make it practical any more. I grow much of our food so sometimes make arty stamps or other things with spares(apple head dolls, remember those?) I just try to have arts and crafts fun with everything. I love talking here with other fun people too! So now I just do my own thing, don't demo unless somebody asks me to show them something. Memories are good tho

I talk too much but have fun! Sabine, I used to have to go to the laundry mat and got some customers there for stamps! Talk with other people in groups you might be in... other Mom's if you have children in sports or activities, PTA members, church members, if you get your nails done or go to a gym you might talk about stamping there and learn other stampers are around you I used to talk to the checkers at the groceries I shopped at, some of them were stampers or had family members who were. You have to network yourself, hand out business cards with your name and phone/email on them so they can get a hold of you. For that matter, put business cards on bulletin boards where they are allowed...Post Office, community centers, coffee shops, put an add on local Craig's list about doing parties. I did a party for a 12 years old's Birthday and I had as much fun as the kids (we made cards and back pack tags)

I did also keep a note book of ideas so I could use them when I was getting ready to do a party. I have been thinking since I ready your post and just kept remembering more and more so thought I would say it.

ScrapinStampinNana
New Kid On the Block
ScrapinStampinNana
In response to sabine

Hi Sabine!
I recently joined Stampin'Up! mostly just to buy products at the discount but have just started having some "meet & greets" with other ladies one night a month. Also going to start another one that will be once every two weeks. Love the fellowship and my ladies just love coming, spending time with other crafty women and being able to enjoy the evening without kids. We have a blast and each one take turns bringing snacks and we each bring our own drink. You are required to spend $300 in a quarter but really not hard to keep up with. I absolutely love the products and use both in cardmaking and scrapbooking. I use their diecuts, punches, paper, ink, etc.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ScrapinStampinNana

I am a demo and love it. You do need to meet your quarterly $300. Either by yourself as a hobby demo or with customer orders or a combo of the two.
Not sure about the religious overtones because I have yet to meet any demos like that and I just came from a big demo retreat. But as with everything, I am sure there are some that push the issue. I am sure it is an isolated case. Yes, they have religious stamps, but those are just one catagory they offer.
I will disagree that they are only good for cardmaking. With anything, I think SU swags a little back and forth. Older catalogs had a lot of scrapbooking layouts in them. Less so in the recent catalog. BUT....all the DSP paper is in 12X12 size, which is for scrapbooking. Not to say that it can't be cut down for cardmaking though. I would say that I am 75% scrapbooking and 25% cardmaking. I like them both. And I find that SU works for both of them. I use stamps as embellishments for my scrapbook pages.

You can sign up and always drop if it doesn't work for you. There is only a wait to resign up (60 days I think) if you want to stay with the same demo. But if you pick a new demo, you could sign back up immediately, but you would loose your sales history and titles. But if you are a hobby demo, that really wouldn't matter.
Right now it is a great time to sign up. If you sign up, you get a free ink collection set!!! (except neutral) AND if that isn't good enough, there is an online extravaganza going on. Today ONLY....the big shot is 20% off if you are interested in that at all. But if you don't make the midnight deadline for signing up, don't worry, the online sale has some great things at 20-50% tht you can put in your starter bundle!!! MORE value!!!!
Feel free to ask any questions!!! Hope to see ya on the demo side!!!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 11-19-12 05:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hey just read your post
How long are each quarterly?
How many times a year do you need to make $300

Diva
In response to a_hodgins

Do you mean I will need to have $300 every four months in sales?

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins

yeah that's what I'm wondering ?

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to a_hodgins

A quarter is every three months, so there are four quarters in a year.
That would make roughly $100 a month in sales you'd need.

Diva

Not bad!!!!!I can easily spend that only on my stash!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon

Yeah, if you have the budget it's the way to go. Plus, you get 20% discount so it's basically like always getting shipping and taxes for free.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Yes, what the above poster said. Four quarters in a month, $100/month or $300/every three months. You can do it in one order per quarter or space it out however you like.
I became a demo because I was spending that amount myself anyways. I do have customers, which count towards your $300/qtr mins as well. I do classes and will be having more classes in the new year. I do it because I enjoy it and enjoy getting together with others that like to craft!!!

Diva

I going to think about this for next year! I like SU because of the Spanish stamps and catalogs. Is the only company that I have seen with so much in SPanish. For me, it is important!

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 12-18-12 05:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

Diva

I will let you know after the holidays are over. Enjoy this holiday season!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

You too!!! I am looking to work on my January class projects soon, but I am ssssooo behind on Christmas wrapping, it will have to wait until AFTER Christmas!!!!

amityknight
Tenant
amityknight

In Australia it's $400 a quarter but I can do that easily. I love the products. I've been a demonstrator for 1 month now and have yet to do a demonstration and have already spent over $300.
If you love the products, join. I am using the years while my kids are at home to build a customer base. I am just about to start kid classes. I'll do some demos in the new year.
Here's my latest blog post with 3 cards I have made. Please check it out.
Stampin Amity blog

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to amityknight

Hi amityknight I was looking at your blog really like the pink card nice job I am looking to sign up in the new year after Christmas haha

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I did my first class with in two months of joining. For me, I needed to do it. Just to know that I could. Your class doesn't have to be big. I can't host to many in my house, but it works for me. Most of my customers are first time stampers, they need more help. It enables me to help.
I should have noted that $300 is the US totals. I live in a box I swear!!! I forget that SU is a world wide company! I find that so cool!!
I posted my next class on facebook and I was VERY surprised at the people that were interested!! I am also going to do a card buffet class in Feb., which is a lot of prep but works really well. You make 10 card designs. Customers pick what and how many of each card they want to make. For example: For $20, they can make 10 cards. They can make 10 of ONE card or one of each of my 10 designs, or 2 of one style, 3 of another and 5 of another design. All cards are precut and there is a sample card and directions at each station. Customers come anytime between the hours of say 12-6pm. First come first serve. Any cards that are left over, go onto the next months buffet along with new designs. (no waste!!!) It is a lot of fun, and laid back. I will also offer 10 cards for free with a $50 order!! Some order, some don't. But either way, they are happy and I am happy! Fun for all.
My goal in the new year is to have a class or workshop every other month at the least. I am also hoping to have three downlines. I have one friend who has already said she is joining in January so I am down to 2!!!! I am excited at holding demo meetings for my downline...I know silly but I really do love mentoring and teaching!!
These are personal goals. I may or may not achieve those but working hard to do so. I love crafting and I love getting together with other crafters, that is where I come from when I host events. Sure it is a business but if I am not having fun or my customers aren't having fun, then I am in the WRONG business.

Have fun with it, if you enjoy it and have fun, you will be a success!!!! Off to check out your blog!!!

cricketscreations
Expert
cricketscreations

I was a SU demonstrator, but found it very limiting with the $300 per quarter required minimum. There are so many products out there to spend my money on I didn't want to be tied down to just one.

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to cricketscreations

Yep, that was one of my considerations, too. And I still purchase items from other manufacturers as well. So far meeting the quota hasn't been a problem for me, but if it became one, I'd drop out of course. I wouldn't stay on just to meet the quota. I actually find that I now don't just randomly shop around anymore. And that probably saved me a bit so far, lol.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics