Username Post: Another Trimmer Thread        (Topic#1582497)
kariyava
Pro
kariyava

I know trimmers have been discussed ad nauseum, but I have serious problems finding a trimmer that will cut perfect 90 degree cuts every time even after years of use. After doing a lot of research, there seem to be four that have consistently good reviews. They are all made by different companies, have different cutting systems, and vary in price, but all I really care about is getting the perfect cut. If any of you have any of the linked trimmers (especially if you have had them for a while) and have some input, I would really appreciate it.

Edited by kariyava on 11-07-12 08:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to kariyava

You need to get a trimmer with line markings about every half inch all the way down. It's up to you to make sure the paper is carefully aligned before you make the cut. Hold it steady so it doesn't shift. Turn the paper 90 degrees and make sure it's still properly aligned.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Solitaire

I happen to agree with Solitare. I had a cheaper fiskars trimmer that was tiny, it was the style I blade and because i was VERY careful with the paper, I never had an issue with getting the 90 degree cut. I can't wait to get some of my stash replaced now that we have gotten almost all of our moving done!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to kariyava

i have a fiskars, slightly different from above but the same idea. it has a border at the top so you can align the page quite well without measuring. i've done very thin cuts on it with success ( 1/16 of an inch). nice and tiny and doesn't take a whole lot of space on the table. however, i HATE the blades! i buy new ones all the time, and 10 cuts later they start messing the paper - the cut is not coming out nice and crisp, but frayed - have to trim with the scissors. Last time at M's they said they'll soon have a stock of titanium blades - want to try those, see if they are any better...

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to kariyava

I always buy Fiskars since they have a lifetime warranty. And I've never had to use it! Recently I bought the ProCision. They really did a lot of research to fix the issues that everyone complains about with paper trimmers. I am very happy with it. Straight cuts, good guidelines, self sharpening blade, cuts thin chipboard.
Products Referenced in This Post:

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to rebeccakeppel

• rebeccakeppel Said:
I always buy Fiskars since they have a lifetime warranty. And I've never had to use it! Recently I bought the ProCision. They really did a lot of research to fix the issues that everyone complains about with paper trimmers. I am very happy with it. Straight cuts, good guidelines, self sharpening blade, cuts thin chipboard.

Got this one & love it!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have the purple cow trimmer and it was a waste of money. I really dont like it at all.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to kariyava

I recently got the Cutterpillar Pro rotary trimmer & love it. Self-sharpening blade, lifetime warranty, has a switch to light the blade's track if desired, & a storage drawer so you don't lose all the space of its footprint. And it cuts thin chipboard, which I was looking for, since I make mini albums.

justmaxine55
Tenant
justmaxine55
In response to GemGirl

If you want a perfect cutting trimmer that will last a lifetime (I have had mine for over 13 years!) and you don't mind the cost, try the Genesis trimmer. Yes it is expensive but it's the last trimmer you will ever buy! I can't live without mine.

***Edited per board rules. NO links or advertising allowed.

Edited by Megan - ForumTech on 11-08-12 11:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to justmaxine55

I have had TWO trimmers in all the years I've scrapbooked.

I always find it curious when I read these threads about people buying and buying and buying new trimmers. What do you do to them?

My first one was a basic Fiskars. The blade did tend to "float" in the track, and the track kind of flexed, so the cuts were less than square.

I then got the Fiskars with the triple track blade. Have had it FOR YEARS. Works great.

Oh, someone did give me an x-acto rotary cutter. WORST piece of &*^%(^ EVER!!!

Products Referenced in This Post:

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Bxr-Linda

I recently bought the cutter pillar for the simple fact that it cuts chipboard but I also have a creative memories trimmer that I have used forever!

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Unfortunately, the last two trimmers I have purchased (portable, inexpensive Fiskars and Cutterpede trimmers) warped or did something weird over time. I don't know what I would have done to make it happen, but it seems like the track warped and is no longer at a 90 degree angle with either the cut lines on the trimmer or the top/bottom edges of the trimmer, making it almost impossible to get a 90 degree cut. They were never perfect when new, but the problem got worse with age. I can't be the only one with this problem!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to kariyava

I bought the Cutterpillar Pro not long ago. It cuts straight and I love the light. I had a Fiskars that I never had trouble with, I just got the Pro on a FB sale and the price was right. Its more heavy duty. Im sure I'll never need another. I have an old Carl that I use for thicker chipboard that if it breaks, not that big of a loss. I don't really know what to do with the old ones. They are on top of a wall cabinet for now.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to SherylEb

I waiver back and forth between the Cutterpillar and the Tonic. Either are great cutters! I love the light feature on the Cutterpillar, but really like the fact that the Tonic has two tabs that you press down on to hold your paper solidly in place.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

I have the Fiskars one listed above and have had it for a year. It will cut chipboard if you go over it a couple times and be prepared to replace the blade often if you are doing that.....
On regular paper and cs, it cuts great, no complaints.
I find that if I am getting frayed edges and it's not cutting clear corners, it's time to replace the blade.....with a good blade, I've never had a problem

Alison

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kiyawinn

fiskars is number one in my book. I have had 5 trimmers and the very best is the Fiskars.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I think the plastic guide on the fiskars type trimmers get warped over time and don't cut straight. I go through trimmers a lot! I had a creative memories one that I loved, but they stopped making it. Now replacement blades cost as much as a trimmer. I just bought a tonic trimmer at Archivers with a coupon but I haven't tried it yet.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics