Username Post: Cricut Expression v. Expression 2        (Topic#1582507)
Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P

I really did search the forums and the Cricut website but I did not get many clear answers on what the differences in the two machines are. I think the Expression has the simple dials which some people like and I think I would too. But can someone please tell me what other differences there are in the two machines? I called Michaels and Hobby Lobby and neither carry just the Expression anymore. Found some on Ebay but not sure that is a good thing.
TIA

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to Trina_P

Hi Tia, I looked at both online as I haven't seen the Expression 2 (I have the Expression) and from what I gather there's not a whole lot of difference with the capability of the machine but more with the design of it. The 2 has almost all of the controls/settings set via the touch screen whereas the original has the dials as you referenced.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this link, but this is the cricut website... the stars next to the features are "new" ones that the original doesn't have.

http://www.cricut.com/home/expression2/

HTH Michelle

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to michellesmakingmemories

Ok I will try that link. Maybe it is different than what I was looking at. Another thing I remember was you can move the blade to wherever you want on the Expression but not the Expression2. I think I read that on a forum here. That I really like about the one I have used at a crop. It let me get more use out of my paper. I hate wasting paper!

Thanks!

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to Trina_P

Oooh, that is a good question about the blade. I don't know why they would take that feature away, it is great to have. Hopefully someone on here with more (actual) experience with the 2 can give you concrete info.

If you have a local scrapbooking store, they'll usually let you try out all of their machines before you buy any. So you might try giving them a call. I don't think Michaels/Hobby Lobby do it but the smaller ones usually do because they have crop nights. Fingers crossed for you, I know it's a big investment.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to michellesmakingmemories

You can tell the E2 where to cut on your paper. Meaning if you want your cut to start at 3 inches horizontally and 3 inches vertically you can do that. I used itty bitty pieces of paper the other night to cut out some things and was able to get the machine to cut exactly where I wanted it to each time.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to thehappyscrapper8

There are a few differences between the two models. The E2 comes with two to four cartridges downloaded in it where as the E1 came with cartridges in cartridge form. The E1 allowed you to freely move the blade. The E2 you can add spaces/or returns (similar to a computer). The E2 actually cuts better than the original (in my experience anyway). The E2 can be updated digitally. The 2 comes with a screen so you can see what and where the images can cut. You can have up to 7 (I think) mats full of images ready to cut. The E2 can take Imagine cartridges. The E2 allows you to save your settings. For example, if you find the perfect combination, it can be stored for easy retrieval. One the flip side, the E can cut some cartridges better and the center point feature is easier to do.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to HisGEM

I don't understand the "update digitally"
Hobby Lobby and Michaels are it for me. No Scrapbook stores unfortunately. Just asking friends and on here.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to Trina_P

Thanks Michelle for the Cricut link and thanks to everyone else for their info. I have another question though. I have my recently purchased carts linked to my E, if I was to get an E2 would I be able to link them to it?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Trina_P

• Trina_P Said:
Hobby Lobby and Michaels are it for me. No Scrapbook stores unfortunately. Just asking friends and on here.

Just like the Gypsy is updated through the computer, the E2 has the capability to be updated the same way.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to SandraB.

• SandraB. Said:
Thanks Michelle for the Cricut link and thanks to everyone else for their info. I have another question though. I have my recently purchased carts linked to my E, if I was to get an E2 would I be able to link them to it?

I don't think I understand the question. Cartridges are not linked to the cutter. They are linked to CCR or the Gypsy. If your cartridges are linked to one of those, then yes you can use your gypsy or CCR OR you can just use the cartridge.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to HisGEM

You can update your E if you have a Gypsy. I just update my Gypsy and then can plug it into the E or the original baby bug and update them. that's how I update mine anyway.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to HisGEM

• HisGEM Said:
  • Trina_P Said:

Just like the Gypsy is updated through the computer, the E2 has the capability to be updated the same way.

I do not have a Gypsy so I do not know what they are or still don't have an answer to the update digitally question.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Trina_P

You will need to use cricut sync to update your e2....

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to HisGEM

Thanks for the info. gals.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics