Username Post: Paper        (Topic#1582517)
New Kid On the Block

With so many choices of paper different weights, single sided and double sided. Where do I start buildin for a supply of basics to have on hand as a beginner. I dont want to have to run to the store each time I start a page. I've received some stacks as gifts, mostly printed cardstock. Im lacking on solid colors. I was thinking that I should organize first by weight then color and get some coordinating solids or should I just get a stack of brights, and neutrals?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to scrapday

It depends on what sorts of colors you use more of, but as a beginner, that can be hard to gauge. For me, I use a TON of white and kraft and a hefty amount of solid color cardstock. The good thing about stocking up on basics like solid color cardstock is that they don't go out of style. I've been using them for nearly 20 years and you can't say that about most of the patterned papers.

I love American Crafts cardstock. It's really sturdy and the colors are beautiful.

Diva
In response to Here Kitty

I like to buy the booklets of papers as they coordinate all together. You can also buy solid colors that are from the same brand. It makes it easier for me who has a problem coordinating patterned papers. It is my struggle!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

I keep about 2,000 sheets of cardstock on hand and I don't care about the weight of it. Most is bazzil or something that feels like bazzil. I use a lot of reds and black so I keep a lot of those in hand.

I also keep 2,000-3,000 patterned papers on hand - I buy what I like. I do not buy paper packs because I waste most of them - just not my taste. I end up giving most of them away or donating to charity. I buy individually so I get only what I like.

That is how I built my stash - I bought what I liked and I love to coordinate the solids and patterns myself.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

I have a pack of pattern paper and different kinds of color cardstock from 12x12 to 8.5x11. I like colorbok textured paper. I have white and black cardstock of the same brand.
I am just building my stash don't have as much paper or cardstock as some of the other people on here. Since I have started in the world of scrapbooking in the last few months.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

New Kid On the Block
In response to scrapday

I agree with Here Kitty. Get a stack each of solid brights, neutrals, pastels and darks. The stacks are an inexpensive way to try out various colors and tones. Then pay attention to what you actually use as your style develops and fill your stash with those. Solids are indispensable.

Edited by twosandalz on 11-21-12 05:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to twosandalz

You can always find a use for color card stock try to at least have the main colors always on hand. Patterned paper you can buy as separate sheets that way you always get something that you like.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I like thicker weightier paper. My solid card stock is all Stampin' Up. I love the weight and quality and that Stampin' Up paper is solid with no white core. The paper families are the easiest way to order SU paper. I started off ordering one of each of the paper families- brights, neutrals, subtles, and regals, in the size you like (12X12 or 81/2X11). Then as I used the paper out of my paper families, I ordered the paper colors that I used as a full paper pack of that color. Super easy!!! Best of all, lots of the colors coordinate and look gret together. This kept me from buying solid cardstock that I never used or that didn't go with anything else.
I have to say for me that weight of the paper does matter since I use a lot of embellies and I also make cards. The card base must be nice thick paper or it will not hold up the weight of your card. Stampin' Up paper works for both of these.
I do buy a lot of patterned paper. I do have several of the Stampin' Up designer paper packs, but I also buy anything that I like. October Afternoon is one of my favorites! I do find my Stampin' Up solid cardstock matches a lot of the pattern paper from other companies as well!
I would caution to stay away from the paper stack packs from big box stores. When I first started, I bought several of these pads...okay a LOT of these. I quickly found out that most of the paper pack wasn't my style, or I didn't use a lot out of it. I am now having to purge tons of paper packs!!! My neice has ended up with a lot of paper recently!!!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to binkiemonstermom

I buy stacks most of the time because its usually cheaper that way. I don't care about the weight because I've noticed that if you buy good quality paper its going to work. I mostly store my paper like this:

Christmas
Fall/Halloween
Everything else

Can't get simpler than that. I do make sure to keep the stacks together. That way I'll know where to go find certain paper when I need it AND I'll know which company made it so I can' get it again if I need it.

I do buy separate sheets once in a while, if I really REALLY REEEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY Y love it. I recently purchased some Jellybean Soup sheets because I just fell in love and I know that I can cut them up and use them in many different projects.

My best advice is that you don't keep anything that you don't love. Even if it was expensive. Why? Because your paper pile will grow by leaps and bounds and you are going to regret buying stuff that you don't like and is taking up space, BELIEVE ME!

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 10:49 AM
In response to Crafting Marfa

I can only agree with Marfa, I almost only buy stacks as I need a lot. I sometimes exchange sheets with other scrapbookers if I really want single sheets

Diva
In response to max28

Me too! We have a group that when we buy pads, we exchange pages. The pads bring two of each page, so sharing is not bad...but I love paper so much that I always buy single sheets as well. Too much paper and so little time to use them!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics