Username Post: Paper Ed Certification, help please.        (Topic#1582589)
kristinamp1206
New Kid On the Block
kristinamp1206

I have tried searching many areas for help, but can't find anything. I have been scrapbooking for over 10 years, however I can't seem to achieve a 80% passing for the Paper Ed certification test....Am I just not as versed as I thought or what?

Feeling pretty dumb...can anyone help?

Thanks!!
Kristina ~ Upstate NY

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to kristinamp1206

I've not heard of a Paper Ed certification, so maybe I'm not as good as I thought I was either! If you can enlighten me, maybe I can help you, lol.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to chocolateaxel

Yeah- what she said! LOL

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to terrihooper

Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about either.

kristinamp1206
New Kid On the Block
kristinamp1206
In response to Here Kitty

I'm sorry, here is the link, they are classes taught through Micheal's, maybe I don't need this?? I just started looking into things.

**Edited per board rules - no links please this is the link then there is a section to become an instructor.

Thanks!
Kristina

Edited by Megan - ForumTech on 11-13-12 06:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Are you asking if you need these classes to scrapbook? If so, absolutely NOT. :)That's just a certification Michael's uses, not an indication of whether or not you know enough about paper crafting.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Here Kitty

Kristina, where in upstate NY do u live??? I am in Kingston, halfway btwn Albany n NYC. Which michaels have you been taking classes at?

Edited by Juansmom on 11-12-12 07:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kristinamp1206
New Kid On the Block
kristinamp1206
In response to Juansmom

Hi! I am just outside of Ithaca NY, home of Cornell University. I haven't taken classes at Michaels, took some at a small scrapbook store in Corning NY. I was told by someone at Michaels that I needed to be certified to teach their Paper Ed classes, so that is how I found the site.

Kristina

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Hmmmm, well that is interesting information. I don't have the impression that my closest Micheals has many classes or that they are well attended.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

My Michaels used to have wonderful crops but one person really ruined it for everyone.

One of the younger women comes and brings her two nieces. They are teenagers and go to everyone, "Can I have scrap paper - do you have extra cardstock to give me - I need some patterned paper - have you got anymore of those I can have" and they take up so much of your time.

The aunt that brings them is as bad as they are. I had very expensive flowers I was working with the last time I went and she asked, "Have you got extra flowers like that? They would go perfect on my page" and then said to my friend, "Oh, I love that pack of embellies. Can I have the ones you aren't going to use?"

The nieces are bored after an hour and start whining. The 17 year old actually sat there and cried because she wanted to go home one month.

Then she complained that she had a toothache and started crying. Then the mother came in and the aunt told the mother to take the child to the dentist because the girl was crying for the past hour from the pain. The mother actually said, "I'm not taking her. The denist is 35 miles away - I'm not spending that much on gas." as she bought scrapbook supplies.

That mother and the aunt and those two teenagers have spoiled the crop for everyone - none of us goes anymore. I went once and I was the only one there because of those people.

Now I don't even know if they have the crops anymore becuase no one wanted to scrap with those people and that woman trying to bum everyone's stuff.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

Kristina-

When you are taking the 'final test' - are you referring to notes you took during the 'Certification Courses'?

Almost ALL of the answers are in those (and also the PDFs you can print out that correspond with the courses).

There were only a few questions that were either a little tricky or weren't something that struck me to put in my notes....

-Kory
(Certified!) lol

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to designguyKORY

Fascinating! Does this replace the EK Success SDU program that Michaels used to hire from?

kristinamp1206
New Kid On the Block
kristinamp1206

Kory,
Thank you, but it doesn't seem to take me through anything first, it just gives me an assessment test I have to take before I can move on through the steps, no presentation or anything prior....or am I REALLY missing something....

Thanks in advance.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

The people who teach classes at Michaels have to take a certification test?!

WOW!

Now, I think less of the whole thing. Any "instructor" I've encountered has known less than most of the people taking the class.

I wonder if this is a new thing?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Bxr-Linda

I agree, Linda. The lady that I took the Gypsy class from admitted she learned a little bit the night before. Maybe they are trying something new. People are a lot more likely to buy product when they see someone doing/using it like in Archivers. Hopefully it is a good sign.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Henri Jean

I would be wait just a doggone minute, did they pay the fee for the nieces to attend the class?

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to CrimsonMama

If I remember correctly, Paper Ed classes are by Spotted Canary, who is part of EK Success, right? So to answer a previous guestion, its basically the same class they used to do, updated. The classes teach you color, placement, journaling, etc...basically a 4 session class that teaches you the basics. I case you can't figure out the basics with any other resources...That being said, I haven't taken the course, but I bet you'd learn SOMETHING!

Diva
In response to Juansmom

ALl of this is new to me! Good to know!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to bayamonesa1

so I was intrigued and decided to do it ...

if u want to teach at Michael's (demo or crop), you have to bne "certified in this class

you take an assessment first, then if you get at least 80%, you move on and take the courses (paper crafting, which included trimmers, die cut and embossing machined, and the Cricut); stamping and inking, including embossing techniques, different types of stamps and inks, and different techniques; mixed media, including adhesives, surfaces, embellishments, UTEE; and class management, including teaching to different levels and the soft sell approach

then you take a final exam and have to get at least 80% to be certified

I don't know what I'll actually do with it, but it was interesting

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to madmatter

I agree, Mad. It was interesting to me, too. Will I ever teach a class at Ms? I dont know- but I think I'd like it- and I think I'd be good at it- but, if you do, they tell you that you can't teach anywhere else. And that would be a problem.

kristinamp1206
New Kid On the Block
kristinamp1206
In response to madmatter

OK, so it must be me. I've been scrapping and stamping for 10 years and I can't seem to pass the assessment, I keep getting a 78! What the heck!

Veteran

My Michael's is offering this course.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I've heard from some people that teaching at M's is hard to do because you are responsible for getting people to sign up for your class. Does anyone know if this is true?

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Beth, I don't know if you HAVE to recruit for your classes, but my local M's has a pretty enthusiastic teacher, she is always promoting her crops and classes, and when I have been able to go, the room has been full. And I have had a great time at the crops...Kristin, it might be worth the trip down to Kingston to talk to Diana, who teaches there! She is very helpful and nice. I actually went to middle and high school with her, have known her for, oh, 30 years. She will give you some advice!

Diva
In response to Juansmom

Are the classes at MIchaels good? I always want to sign up but not sure if is going to be worth the money?

New Kid On the Block

Im getting 74 and can't figure this out,
Have you pass?
Someone who knows how to pass please?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics