Username Post: Photographing my layouts?        (Topic#1582605)
Tenant

Any tips on how to photograph my layouts to add to my scrapbook.com gallery? Everyone else's layouts look so good, mine just look like they're photographed.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to redfox78

You could run the LO thru a scanner, that makes them look less like a photo

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Juansmom

1. Natural light is best. I take mine out to my porch.
2. No flash! Also make sure your layout is not in a page protector - it creates glare.
3. Photograph it head on. You can try this by standing directly over the photo and lining the edges in your view finder or by putting it on a wall and standing in front of it.
4. Use a photo editing software to crop the photo, straighten it and/or make the photo quality better.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Here Kitty

What Amy said. Daylight but not direct sunlight, no flash, no page protector.

And make sure the light setting on your camera is correct. Mine has AWB (Automatic White Balance) which it thinks makes the colours correct. It doesn't always. It's worth playing with it.

Also, the background makes a difference. Some people prop their work up outside with the garden out-of-focus in the background, which looks gorgeous. I like to photograph my LOs on a piece of black fabric so there is no distraction. Sometime I find myself looking past people's LOs and thinking "I used to have a kitchen floor like that!"

Good luck!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to RedSquirrel

one other thing, sometimes when you see what looks like a layout that has been perfectly photographed, it could be that it's a digital layout. my digi ones look much better than any i have ever gotten a pic of...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to flutterbye0419

Everything everyone said above....
One other tip....even if you are working with a point and shoot camera...try the "macro" setting on your camera to take the pic.
It will pick up all the details of the page when you do a closeup shot...

Alison

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to kiyawinn

I use two pieces of white foam board. One on my desk and one proper up against the hutch part. To make sort of an L shape. I stand the layout up (propped against the foam board behind it. The window is to my side. Certain times of the day are better depending on where your window is located. Depending on where the sun is, I sometimes still get glare on the photo even though the window is on the side, so I avoid those times of day. If you have a DSLR shoot in RAW so you can adjust the white balance.

Diva
In response to rebeccakeppel

Great ideas! I need to try them!

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-15-12 10:08 AM
In response to bayamonesa1

The light really is the most important part. I would use a complete white background and very bright daylight. The problem with artificial light or flash is that you see shadows and reflections on the pictures which makes it look like a amateur photography.

Diva
In response to max28

I can learn from your comments. I take photos of my layouts but they come out really bad!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bayamonesa1

This is very hard to do! Sometimes I wish for a large scanner so I can just scan my 12x12 like I do the smaller stuff.

Lighting is the key you have to play with it. Sometimes I take up to 2 dozen photos before I have one that I want. Also it needs to be streight on to the LO, completely flat and square if you really want to crop it "perfectly". I don't think I've ever had a perfect photo of one.

You need enough light that your photo will take without a flash too because normally you would have some type of flash off of your photos. I was looking at my gallery last night and I have one I really need to reshoot because of that.

Diva
In response to CrimsonMama

Thank you for the ideas. I am going to set an area that will have lots of natural light so I can do so. I noticed the "flash" spots in my photos from the LO. I haven't posted any since I became a member, but next year hope to add internet at home so I can download my work to the site.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics