Username Post: Advice on scrapbooking & saving money        (Topic#1582619)
pifiifi
New Kid On the Block
pifiifi

Hi (:
I'm new to scrapbooking, and I want to use some materials I have collected over the past few years before I buy materials from scrapbooking stores (paper cuts, buttons, lace etc).

After looking through the list of "essential things" that scrapbookers will need, I have a few questions to ask. It would be really nice if you could help me (:

1. Do I need to buy an album or can I use an ordinary journal/notebook?
I have tons(!) of notebooks at home, and so many of them are pretty and unused. I would like to try scrapbooking on one of these notebooks before embarking on real scrapbook albums. Scrapbook materials are quite expensive where I come from, so I want to make use of what is at home before purchasing anything outside.

2. Do I need to use special adhesive or can I use normal double sided tape/patterned sticky tape?
After reading "20 secrets every scrapbooker should know", I am not sure about the adhesives. Is it a must to use special adhesive commonly sold at scrapbooking stores or can I simply use double sided tape that can be found in stationery stores? Will it affect my photos/memorabilia in the long run?

3. What type of pens can I use?
I have plenty of black-ink pens and colourful permanent markers that I've been using for my projects. Can I use these to scrapbook? I am well aware that the pens I use must be acid-free.

4. Space matters
I will be moving in the future and I am wondering, must there be a "permanent" space in my home for me to scrapbook and place all my scrapbooking material? Currently, I have organised my stuff and I have two boxes: "Scrapbook" - for all the memorabilia I can use and "Scrapbook material" - for all the materials I can use (ribbons, lace, buttons etc). I have seen the scrapbook totes (which I find totally useful, by the way!) on this website and I'm thinking of purchasing one. However, will this affect my scrapbooking workspace?

5. Choice of memorabilia
Over the years, I found myself collecting items that I thought, "Oh! I can scrapbook this in the future" but never got round to doing it. I recently organised all these things and I'm wondering if there is any hard and fast rules about memorabilia in scrapbooking. If its a chain that I want to stick on, can I can simply place the chain with double sided tape? Do I need a special adhesive? Or will is be better if I scanned the chain, print the image and paste it onto the scrapbook? This is the same for buttons/felt/lace.

------------------------- --------
Well, that's all I have to ask for now. Thank you in advance for your answers. I'm looking forward to all the useful advice you can give me. (:

- Nurul

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pifiifi

Some good questions here but most of these are opinion questions so for everyone who answers, there will be different opinions.

1. Notebooks - I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about 3 ring binders like you use in school or books with pages already in them? If pages are already in them I would be very concerned about acid. I would use them if they already have the pages. If it is just a 3 ring notebook binder you can use your own sheet protectors and cardstock or papers. Just depends - I prefer scrapping 12 x 12 and nothing else really works for me.

2. I use an ATG but I would not use any adhesive in my scrapbooks that is not acid free and says it is safe for paper crafts and scrapbooks. If it is not acid free it will not hold up. I had an older scrapbook and the tape was yellow and every photo was ruined later. I also don't advise any kind of glue stick. It just depends on how long you want your scrapbooks to last.

3. No advice there - I do not use pens but most scrapbookers do. I have a horrible writing so I do all my journaling on the computer. But if I were going to use a pen it would be acid free.

4. Many scrapbookers use the dining room or kitchen table between meals. You space is what you living quarters will allow. It doesn't matter as long as you have a place to work. Some people have to put things away constantly, some do not. I have a room but in the past I had a corner of the living room.

5. Some people like bulk and thickness and texture to their scrapbooks and its fine if the pages have heavier embellies. Others like me like flat scrapping where the pages are pretty flat and I don't go any thicker than flatter flowers. If you like the thick pages, then put the chain on. If you don't, then photocopy it - all personal taste. No right or wrong. Some people put charms on their layouts and they are really pretty but I like mine flat. No matter what you do though, I would buy adhesives that are meant for scrapbooking if you want it to hold up long.

Good luck and have fun! Scrapbooking is a great hobby.

Sharon Fritchey
Queen
Sharon Fritchey
In response to pifiifi

Hi Nurul,

You will find with scrapbooking that there are no hard and fast rules! You should just go with your feelings and make what you like. I do not think you need to buy a special album for your scrapbooking if you have pretty notebooks/journals, by all means, use them! Art journaling is all the rage right now in scrapbooking!

I would invest in a good adhesive - some kind of tape runner and a liquid adhesive to adhere your heavier items, like your chains!

You can use any kind of pen you like, just make sure it is acid free!! I usually use a fine-tip marker - I have brown and black. I also use different fonts on my computer and type my journaling at times.

And when it comes to putting all of the wonderful-sounding stuff that you have collected over the years, that is all up to you! You can adhere the heavier items to your pages with a liquid glue, or you can scan the image - whatever you decide is best for you page!!

Oh, and having a dedicated space for scrapbooking is nice, but not necessary either! Before we moved into our present home, I used to scrap on the dining room table!!!!
Hope this helps!
Happy Scrapbooking!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to pifiifi

1)I would make sure the note books you have are archival- safe for scrapping. I use 8 1/2 x 11 pages so do use binders like for school. Then I use archival safe page protectors to put my pages in.
if your notebooks are not archival safe you could use scrap safe papers to cover the cardboard, or if it it decorated out side, you can do the scrap paper on the inside. Just be sure the papers in it are archival! I have a pen I use to test papers. I got it online one is called The Acid Test made by Illistrator( it looks like a purple, marker and I got it at Michael's) the other is called Neutral 7, made by Marvy, Iit has a chart on it and tells you the acid content of a peper whet you make a marl on the paper. I like the Neutral 7 one better but both work. You just make the mark where it won't be noticed like where you would be placing a photo or an edge you can cover with an embellishment.

2) Yes us a scrap book adhesive only. Read the package of what you use and see if it says it's for scrapping. Places like Walmart and Fred Meyer sell some of the scrap tape and glues and you can go there or order on line.

3) I would only use a scrap safe pen. Ball point can damage your photos as well as pens not made for scrapping.

4) No you don't have to have a permanent space for scrapping. I move my stuff and have to put it away when I am not scrapping. I like to use zip bags or my page protectors to keep my items for specific pages together then it is quick to get right to getting something done! I do store stuff in covered buckets that can be stacked when not in use, that saves me space. I also like the Rubbermade type storage containers(20 gallon), also can be stacked and moved easily, as well as used as a scrap table when I stack 2 of them.

5) I use my test pens on embellishments. and if something is questionable I can seal in into a piece of archival safe page protector...I cut them apart for this and on the corners you get a piece that is already sealed on 2 edges, seal the other 2 with scrap glue or a brad.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to catzscrapper

The biggest thing is to make sure that the products you are using are safe. I have been scrapbooking for 13 years now and I have albums that are 13 years old. My albums are in perfect condition and I do not have any ruined photos. This is from making sure my stuff is acid and lignin free.

Diva
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Same suggestion. Very important to use products that are safe. Those memories have to last a long time!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to bayamonesa1

i have found in the last few years that it works best for me budget wise if i really look for the deals! in the last 2 weeks, i have been able to get $400 in supplies for just $108! Just look for deals, use coupons. Pm me if you wanna know how i got it all

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flutterbye0419

For me to save is to buy only the things I really want and not a lot of stuff because it is on sale or clearance. That is what ends up being donated.

I'm very very picky about what I buy and resist buying things because the price is discounted. The lure of a good sale is tempting but I end up with stuff I don't love and will never use.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Henri Jean

you bring up a good point henri, only, i've found that if i buy it, i will use it. i have things that were given to me that i just haven't figured out what to do with them yet... it just isn't much fun when you don't know what on earth to do with it or if it was given to you but it's not your style. since i am starting practically at ground zero, i know that anything i buy will be used. i just tend to try and get great deals on EVERYTHING. i got over 400 in supplies this past 2 weeks for under 120!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

WOW! You have been seriously shopping.

I'm at the point where I don't want or need much.

I went crazy when I started scrapbooking and bought so much and it is still sitting around. I bought patterned paper at garage sales and on sale and collected quite a stash that way but I did't like it wall enough to actually use it and all the early stuff has been donated somewhere.

Now I only buy what I love. If I want die that is $25.00 or I can get 4 or 5 on sale at the same price all total, I will buy the one I really want, as that is the one I will use.

I guess what I'm really saying is if I just buy the things I really want and resist temptation on the "iffy" stuff or "okay but don't love it" stuff, I come out saving money.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

yeah, i've been shopping like a mad woman, but like i said, it will all be used. one of the paper packs i got was a fancy pants 51 page set for under 16! and it's christmas theme. it's going to be used on my december daily, so i guess bottom line is, i know what i will use each thing i buy for... well most of the time, stickles/glitter glue, i buy in all colors because i decide on each individual layout to use it or not... same with inks. i haven't bought cricut carts in 2.5 years because i can do almost any layout with the 6 i have. i do need to look at getting some sizzix and side kick dies. have the machines, they were given to me, but no dies. anyhoo.... i'll inbox you all i got in a bit

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That is the secret to saving money on scrap supplies - to buy what you will actually use! If you do that, you come out ahead.

I need to try Stickles. I have so many of them that I bought years ago and haven't tried them yet. I need to do that. I've watched other people use them and I love what they create.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

Girl, TAKE OUT THE STICKLES! Once you stickle, YOU NEVER GO BACK! LOL they are awesome, I just haven't been able to justify the shipping for them. Normally it costs more in shipping than the cost of the stickles themselves, so since my lss is closed down, I'm finding that i have to purchase the studio g brand, which isn't nearly as good but it's 1/2 the price. now, the stickles are very very very good! if i could get ahold of some, i wouldn't use the studio g at all!

Diva

I use coupons all the time!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to bayamonesa1

This is my opinion, not rules. Don't go crazy trying to buy it all right away. It has taken me years to collect a lot of these items.

12 x12 scrapbook albums with page protectors.

Glue dots, pop dots, Aleenes Tacky Glue, tape runners and Washi tape.

Gel pens, glitter pens, sharpie markers, Copic markers, Prismacolor pencils, Tombow markers, watercolor pencils, watercolor paint.

Paper stacks instead of single sheets (with some exceptions if the single sheets are gorgeous lol),

Making Memories tool kit

Stamps: birthdays, love, greetings

Decorative punches

Theres a number of other things that you will learn about and love, but these are some of the basics. Also, dont make the same mistake that I made and keep stuff that you dont like because you feel guilty. If so, youll be overwhelmed and the hobby wont be fun anymore.

Use coupons! The chain stores usually have coupons, either by mail or online. Wait for the sales after the holidays, you can make out like a bandit. The clearance section usually has some interesting and cheap stuff.

Some of the items that I mentioned are expensive, but they are of the best quality. I prefer quality over quantity. But thats up to you.

Good luck, this is a great hobby.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to pifiifi

Hi Nurul~Everyone else has given you great suggestions, but I wanted to welcome you to the forums. I noticed you're in Singapore...and 17! I think I remember being 17 a long, long time ago How exciting for you to begin sb'ing now so you can keep up with all the things you'll get to do in your life.

Do you have crafty-type stores there or are you dependent on expensive shipping charges? It sounds like you've been collecting quite a lot that you'll be able to use. Have fun and be sure to post into the gallery.~Judy

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 10:46 AM
In response to mrsdriver5

All I can say is that I won't save on quality here. An album is meant to stay for years so you want to use good materials. You'll regret it when watching it in 20 years

Diva
In response to max28

Just make sure that whatever you are using is acid-free and I will spend the money in using good albums. I have made some out of carboard or chipboard, but they ar emainly for me and mini albums. I am at a point that only adhesive or a tool that I will really need or use. Otherwise, my theme is to sue what I have and only replace it when I don't have any more. Hard to do as I love scrapbooking, but getting into swaps, I buy for others and I get nice things in return..so it is a good deal!

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 12-10-12 09:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics