Username Post: Need to know how...?        (Topic#1582705)
meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I've been using Cat's Eye chalk ink pads for edging paper items and they give a nice soft color, but I've invested in some Tim Holtz Distress ink pads and need to know how to apply them. (I know this is a basic, stupid question.) Applying the pads themselves seems to come out too harsh, and I'm not sure what else to use. I saw a video on here (without narration) of someone making a Halloween card for Graphic 45 with Distress pads and some sort of wooden-handled stamp applicator. What applicator would that be?

Someone help the clueless!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to meezerpleaser

A dauber or blending tool, maybe? I use makeup sponges, they're cheaper.

If you never have, watch some of Tim's tutorials on his blog, they're very helpful.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-15-12 11:50 AM
In response to kelseymel

I apply it all sorts of ways to get different effects. Sometimes I swipe the actual pad on my paper. Sometimes I use the TH blending tool or a makeup sponge. Sometimes I use a fat cottonball and pounce the ink on. Check out the Tim Holtz website, there are tons of videos with different techniques, lots of fun

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to stick

the blending tool shown above is a great way to get a softer look ... go to Tim's blog and see the tutorial Tim does on distress inks ... very helpful

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
A dauber or blending tool, maybe? I use makeup sponges, they're cheaper.

If you never have, watch some of Tim's tutorials on his blog, they're very helpful.

I get mine from the dollar store for crafting. They work great and I don't mind using a ton. The daubers I mind.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to fknapoleon

I have never thought of using a makeup sponge now this is something that I must try and soon!

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 11-15-12 12:56 PM
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I love distress inks but, for me, it took a bit of practice to get the look I was going for. Using the blending too took some practice... If you watch the videos you'll see how you have to swirl them onto the project, otherwise you'll get the impression line from the blending tool. The good news is that they are almost good proof. Even if you make a mistake, you can always cover it up. I have found that they are not my first choice for rubber stamps and I don't use them at all with clear stamps. The colors are awesome! Faded Jeans is my current go to color. Enjoy...

Lunie

scrapperb2
Diva
scrapperb2
In response to meezerpleaser

Hello, I thought maybe I can help you out with using distress inks. First I have a special mat, then various color inks, velcro pads that attatch to a handle so I can make my own interesting papers. To do the edges I have a round sponge and dab it into the ink. I then slightly coat the edges with it to make it a lo look the way I want with a little edging or apply a heavier pressure to make a heavier boarder around the page. When I make my paper I always start with the darker ink on the bottom, then add lighter shades until I have the color blend I want. Daubers are usually used with clear stamping as you just add color to a specific place. Example I make stems for flowers and I use my dauber to dot in different color flower heads. I hope this will help you.

Diva
In response to scrapperb2

It will depend upon the effect you want to create.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kelseymel

I have the TH blending tool, but most often I use makeup sponges, I like the results. I use that with distress inks and perfect pearls mists sometimes too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics