Username Post: Sewing Machine        (Topic#1582729)
New Kid On the Block

I would like to start using sewing as an element in my scrapbooking pages. I notice a lot of people use small, inexpensive machines but I also quilt so I already have a nice Husqvarna/Viking machine. I spent quite a lot of money on my machine and I obviously don't want to do anything to ruin it. The only thing I can think that sewing on paper would do to my machine is dull the needle. But just about the time I think I've thought of everything disaster will strike. Anyone out there want to share tips/warnings? I kind of feel dumb for asking but you never know til you ask.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Crafty1997

I use a Janome and I just have to change needles when I use paper, because it does dull them. Nothing special, just use different needles.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Here Kitty

I would LOVE to have stitching on my layouts and cards. But I don't sew. I need EASY, sewing for dummies machine!! Any advice there???? LOL!!!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I would LOVE to have stitching on my layouts and cards. But I don't sew. I need EASY, sewing for dummies machine!! Any advice there???? LOL!!!

In all honesty, I have a $10.00 sewing machine that is made for little children that I use for scrapbooking because it is small easy to drag out when I want to use it. And it's very simple to use. My 4 year old uses it too. I also have my big, expensive sewing machine for regular sewing, but I use a tiny children's one for scrapbooking.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_0 21V0025189260...
I bought mine on sale, but this is exactly what I have. It is battery operated which is why I like it better for scrapbooking. And it's small enough to store anywhere.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Lunareclipse

I have a Pfaff machine that will embroidery as well as sew and quilt. I sew on paper with no problems. I just keep 1 universal needle for this. Don't use an expensive quilting or embroidery needle. Works good.

I used to have a Brother computerized machine and it worked just fine too.

I just wouldn't back up to start or stop like you do in sewing. It can make more holes and shows up more. Just use a drop of glue on back if need to secure stitching or in most cases, it's just fine as is. My machine will tie off at start and end, so I do that.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to SherylEb

that's cool taht your machine ties off at start and stop! so jealous. i've been contemplating using some sewing too, but i'm afraid i will mess up my lo by doing it.

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to flutterbye0419

You will need to clean out and/or vacuum down around the bobbin case more often. Paper is "linty".

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Melonhead

My question about using a machine is this....sometimes sewing on LO's appears to be machine stitched but the thread appears to be button hole thread or a thicker weight. What does everyone use?

I have machine and I have a Sew Easy. I like the look of both....depends on the effect you want.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to CrimsonMama

I use the Sew Easy and I really like it. I have seen some good sales for some seweing machines for black Friday this year and I am really thinking about getting one.

Lydgranger
Resident
Lydgranger

My Bernina Sewing and Embroidery machine embroiders designs on watercolor paper and I embroider on card stock to make cards-I put a sticky back stablizer in an machine embroidery hoop and then lay the paper on top. When stitching on paper using a light weight stablizer or interfacing may help. Also in 7th grade home ec classes we learned to sew straight lines and curves on paper before the teacher allowed us to sew on fabric.

Diva
In response to Lydgranger

I have the small one for my stiching in my layouts. It just easier for me to deal with paper on that. I have my old sewing machine for my sewing projects.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel

The only thing that I notice on my machine is a LOT of extra dust. If I had paid a lot of money for a really good machine and I was serious about sewing first before using the machine for scrapping that might concern me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics