Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Paper or digital?        (Topic#1582733)
New Kid On the Block

After many years of Scrapbooking, I am considering going digital. For those of you who do digital, do you print out the pages and put them in a book? Or what? Do you like that better than standard scrapbooking? I would appreciate all comments.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to jprice6461

I am still on the fence doing both scrapbooking using traditional materials and creating pages digitally. And when I do either method it's not exclusive. I use digitally created elements on traditional paper pages. And I scan traditional materials and use them in digital pages. The lines are so blurred, I can't tell you what I am. But the end result is always printouts AND digital files. (I print out my digitally created pages and I scan my pages using traditional materials to have digital files.)

for me... personally...I got too overwhelm with all of my "tradional scrapbooking" stuff. There was a "line in the sand" when it all became too much. TOO many techniques. TOO many supplies (and expensive supplies). TOO many steps. It took TOO MUCH TIME to create a page.

I started doing more & more pages digitally because I could start AND finish a page in a couple hours. BUT... and it's a big but...I have a graphic background, A LOT of experience & training in Photoshop, web design, package design, printing, etc. and I consider myself computer savy. I can "whip out a page" digitally because of related computer graphic skills I already had that I could apply to digital scrapbooking. There is a "learning curve" to digital scrapbooking.

I don't think one method is better than the other BUT "my scrapbooking personally" also lends itself to digital scrapbooking. I tend to change my mind about scrapbooking decisions A LOT. Digital scrapbooking give me the freedom to change my mind multiple times quickly and virtually for free. I also am very picky about results. Digital scrapbooking makes this obsession easier.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Ditto for most everything she said. Right now I do mostly paper just because it's relatively new to me. I was only going to do a book for a granddaughter's H.S. grad, but by the time I spent so much money on supplies, I figured I needed to keep using them and we all know supplies have a way of multiplying.

If I could re-do the past couple of years, I probably would never have started with paper and just stayed with digi. Much cheaper and it doesn't need a separate area/room. I still found it time-consuming, just because of changing my mind so much since it's so easy to manipulate things around on the computer. Even with paper, I often start by designing my LO on the computer and figuring out photo sizes, then print the photos at home.

I have FlipAlbum, which makes great e-books that anyone can flip through, just like a real album and I give people DVDs of FlipAlbums. But I also give DVDs of photos of the paper LOs I do also. I don't print out my digi pages, but I have made photo books on snapfish.

I'll admit, one of my biggest...and most expensive...regrets was getting into paper sb-ing. I enjoy it, but I really enjoy digi also. I actually get much more involved in it than I do paper/glue scrapping. And I never spill my digi glitter or have to worry about laying my hand in my still-wet stickles ~Judy

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to mrsdriver5

Right now I do mostly digital and have done so for the past 18 months. I expect once I get some projects caught up that I'll split my time between digital and paper because I like both and both have their niches in my life.

I print my own pages at home as well as have Creative Memories print them when it comes to digital. I like the fact that I can buy a CM digital package and print out the paper to traditionally scrap with since I have a large format printer.

New Kid On the Block

Thank you for the input. I have enough pages for 1 more paper scrapbook, then I think I will try digital. I also have a wide printer and could print the 12x12 pages if necessary. I agree, with so much inventory in my "scrap room" I hate to stop, but it is time consuming. Maybe a preschool would like to get all of my paper! LOL!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

i have done both... while i like digi, i just don't feel like it's really for me... i'll do hybrid albums with my stuff, but i prefer paper. i like making the mess! yes, i know, i have to clean up after me, but it just doesn't feel like i'm being as creative when i'm digi-scrappin'

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flutterbye0419

I love the look and perfection of the digi pages but I'm totally intimidated by it.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Henri Jean

henri,
as long as you have a GREAT digi program, you should have no problems. i've used some of the free stuff and it just doesn't do the layouts justice... i do like that with a digi, if you don't like something you have put on the page, you can easily delete it....

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I prefer working with paper and real stuff. I teach computer programming and spend a lot of my time on the computer writing demo programs for my students and solving logic problems. I need to take a break away from the computer to work with my hands. It's a balance between right-brain and left-brain activities.

A digital page is too flat. I like to touch and feel the texture and dimension of actual paper and embellishments. I also make greeting cards and don't feel a flat digital card has the same oomph as one that was hand-made. I could spend several days making a card, and it's one that the recipient will want to keep. A card with a lot of texture and dimension can also be appreciated by a blind person.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

The one thing I haven't done much with yet on digi is sound, which gives digi that something extra. I do background music, but I've seen awesome digis with waves crashing, brooks bubbling and birds/children singing. Really adds to the page.

We usually record when we sing Happy Birthday to someone in our family. That would be fun to add to a birthday page. It can always be muted, which for some of our singing that would be a big plus :>)

I have my dad whistling on a cassette tape and I want to get that digitized before it's lost. It would be a wonderful background to a special Dad page. His whistling is one of my fav memories of him ~Judy

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I don't do much digital and have only played with MSD2 but Stampin' Up has a 30 day free trial with their digital software. Can't hurt to try it for 30 days free!!!!
And starting Monday there will be a 50% sale on the software if you chose to buy it. I am updating my version because for 50%, why not??!!!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Solitaire

Solitaire, you just may have helped me with my dilemma. There are a few paper pages I want to do, but I would definitely like to start making more cards and that way I could still get messy when I wanted and use my fun supplies, but I really like (maybe even prefer) digi for LOs. Once they're in a page protector it takes the pretty-factor away for me. By choice (not work related) I'm on the computer most days for all day unless I decide to paper scrap and I have to be pried away sometime after midnight. (I'm trying to basically go paperless so 46 married years to scan and organize into virtual files.)

Henri, for digi it's important to get familiar with one good graphics program. I use several, but one is the one I use most often for design work. I knew absolutely nothing, but just started playing around...just like learning new paper techniques, but with digi you don't waste good supplies for things that don't work out right.

Plus, there are lots of digi kits that all you really have to do is stick a picture into it. I buy some of the kits, but mostly to print out to use in paper sb'ing. I still like to design my own pages, but the kits look like a good way to get started in digi, plus if you like a digi paper, you can use it multiple times instead of trying to figure out where you got it to buy more

I still wish I'd never started paper, but I did and there's still that magical fun of finding a scrappy box sitting on the doorstep ~Judy

teresa0817
Expert
teresa0817

I agree with a lot of comments here. I would love to try digital again, I have tried before and couldn't figure out how to do it. I am not good at the computer. I agree that paper is EXPENSIVE!!! I have spent a lot on my STUFF...and it really never ends. I would miss the cutting, arranging ect. But mostly I would miss the 3-D effect you get with paper.
I would like a good EASY digi program if anyone has any suggestions. I'm willing to try it again.

Edited by teresa0817 on 11-17-12 04:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to teresa0817

teresa,
i use photoshop elements 11. i've found it to be the best program for me, but you will have to find one that will work for you. not all programs are good for everyone. our brains all work differently, i tried corel's programs, HUGE fail! and even elements 10 wasn't my cup of tea, but elements 11 is much better for me. and that was after trying picasa and another free one (i can't remember what the other one was) so as you can see, i ended up going through 5 programs before i found one that i liked and could work with. good luck on your search for sure

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

I don't think I will ever go digital. It isn't much fun unless you can make a huge mess...

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Lunareclipse

I was so excited and re-inspired by what I could do when I went over to digital. Paper scrapping had become a chore...the costs, the time clearing up or getting everything out to do a page, the waste (I'd never use all the Qs and Zs I had!!), the endless 'need' for more stuff, the constant launches of new products....it was never ending.

Digital does have a learning curve and I have no computer background at all but I found so many online tutorials and along with some trial and error my skills quickly improved.

I LOVE what can be done digitally that simply cannot be achieved with paper and glue, blending 2 papers together, for example. I love everything about it....the clearing up consists of clicking the red x, much cheaper, no glitter on the floor/cat/face, endless possibilities to reuse a single sheet of paper and even change it's colour, never run out of letters....I could go on

I do print out a lot of my pages and either put them in a traditional album or frame them and hang them at home.

Have fun - I'm sure you'll love it

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 11-18-12 06:14 AM

• flutterbye0419 Said:
teresa,
i use photoshop elements 11. i've found it to be the best program for me, but you will have to find one that will work for you. not all programs are good for everyone. our brains all work differently, i tried corel's programs, HUGE fail! and even elements 10 wasn't my cup of tea, but elements 11 is much better for me. and that was after trying picasa and another free one (i can't remember what the other one was) so as you can see, i ended up going through 5 programs before i found one that i liked and could work with. good luck on your search for sure

Is PSE 11 that much different? I am just getting the hang of 10.

Lunie

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Lunie

yes, it is! it's a much simpler layout and doesn't crash like 10 did! it's worth it! do the trial and see if you like it. i know i love it!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 11-18-12 08:54 AM

I went digi 5 years ago and will never go back!!! I was traditional for 10 years and had my own "room" full of everything possible to buy!! It was beautiful but I spent so much time looking for this and that, even though I was totlly organized.

I use MemoryMixer...it is EASY...I also have photoshop elements, but could not get the hang of it. The program I use is now on sale for the latest version for only $24.00!! WAY cost friendly. Just go to memorymixer dot com and check it out. I do NOT work for them but have found this the easiest program to use. Check out my gallery it is all digi.

I print my LO's through Costco and they do an excellent job and are a good price. $2.99 for 12x12 and $1.49 for 8x8.

I can keep up with scrapbooking my grandgirls and family photos much better.

Feel free to msg. me with any questions.

YES I AM a digital PUSHER!! lol

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to charK

Hi I just got into scrapbooking few months ago. I like to go the paper route of scrapbooking. Since I am a Fine Art major I can see both sides of digital and paper scrapbooking. I have Photoshop CS5 and I did some layout with my family pictures and printed them out 8.5 x 11 size. I like the feel of the paper better and doing things with my hands. I also enjoy making things with my Photoshop CS5 program. That mostly for fixing old photos or making poster, gallery card or even postcards. Have to say paper scrapbooking is fun makes the photos to me come to live in a sense. Since I got a lot of my grandmothers old family photos. I wanted to put them in a nice album to tell a story.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics