Username Post: A Warning and a Question        (Topic#1582739)
Tenant

I have used Artscow for years to print my books and have been pretty satisfied with the quality of their work. Their prices just cannot be beat. Recently, I ordered an 8 x 8 book that was just over 80 pages. After ordering it, I happened to be on their forums and was reading complaints on the color quality. People were saying the color in their books was off from what they were seeing on their computer. They were also saying that Artscow was using the excuse that everyone's computer monitors are different and they may not be seeing the true color. The problems I have with that are: 1.). I have a program on my computer that calibrates the color I see so that it is the true color, 2.) I used some of the same kits in my Artscow book in another book I did right before the Artscow book and I ordered that book from here in the U.S. due to needing it quickly. That book was quite a bit more costly but the colors in that book were spot on and 3.) if the colors I see on my monitor were off, I would think the entire Artscow book would have off colors and not just certain pages, as in my book.

I really love the Artscow prices and they used to do quality work. This latest experience though left a lot to he desired. My main and longterm project is quite large. I am scrapbooking for my 8 year old niece and 4 year old nephew until they are grown and then presenting them with their books as a gift. Just their first two years are 80 plus page books each so you can see I will be ordering quite a few large books for each of them before they are grown. I need someone who is reasonable in price but who also does quality work. So.....who do you use?

Thanks!

~Amy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-18-12 09:35 AM
In response to Calkacky

I've never heard of Artscow so I can't comment on that. And I don't print books, I print individual pages at CostCo (great quality) because I mix them into albums with traditional paper scrapping.

However - you should find a printer who will give you their printing profile so you can calibrate your monitor to their machines and processing, that way what you see should be what you get.

Nani17 
New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

I had a couple of pillow covers printed at Artscow a couple years ago as Christmas's gifts. They did a god job and the pillows turned out nice, but I'd have liked a little more clarity in the border, but my Aunt's dogs were clear and the colors matched her living room as well as they did on my monitor.

For my books, however, I get the 11" square hardcover books at Inubook, now Snap My Life Creations http://www.snapmylifecreations.com/Home. They are pricier; I get 80-100 pages for a little over $100 but they do a fabulous job. I'll finish a book and it stays in my account until I'm ready (save up) to print. The quality is worth it to me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics