Username Post: Embossing Machine        (Topic#1582753)
New Kid On the Block

Hello everyone,

New to scrapbook.com but long time lover of all things crafty!

I'm looking for embossing machines on the market and have found the Big Shot, Grand Calibur, & Ebosser. But I heard something about Spellbinders.. and they had a law suit? does anyone know about it?

I don't want to buy something from a company that doesn't handle things well, but then I again, don't know much about it!

Thank you for your imput!

Belinda

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to belwiggs12

• belwiggs12 Said:
Hello everyone,

New to scrapbook.com but long time lover of all things crafty!

I'm looking for embossing machines on the market and have found the Big Shot, Grand Calibur, & Ebosser. But I heard something about Spellbinders.. and they had a law suit? does anyone know about it?

I don't want to buy something from a company that doesn't handle things well, but then I again, don't know much about it!

Thank you for your imput!

Belinda

Welcome Belinda

Well, if you want a machine that embosses, there are things you'll need to decide. The Sizzix Texture Boutique is used ONLY for embossing, so you cannot cut dies with it (unless you void the warranty and risk ruining it). It is not large enough to fit the larger embossing folders, but will take the smaller ones and is pretty inexpensive.

The Cuttlebug and Big Shot will emboss the same folders and they also die cut. They are a bit more expensive than the Texture Boutique.

The Grand Calibur will emboss as well, and it is a cutting machine. It cuts fewer dies than the previous two machines, but it embosses the same folders.

The lawsuit was not over the Grand Calibur, but over the dies Spellbinders sells. In my opinion, I couldn't care less whether they have a working patent on their dies or whether it was taken away...they are appealing the court's decision.

Most of us don't have time to follow court battles over patents and creative copyright, etc...so a lot of us don't care very much We're here to craft, not pour over court documents. If you really do care about the patent on their dies before you buy a product from them, I'd advise you to read the court documents or find a "neutral" article about it and study up.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to tinacome

Don't be surprised if you don't get a whole lot of feedback...this question is asked once a week at least, LOL, (not the lawsuit, but embossing machines.)
This is from another thread.
  • Here Kitty Said:

New Kid On the Block
In response to tinacome

Haha! Thanks for the honesty! @tinacome!

I think the Ebosser by Craftwell & the Big shot are winning right now.. I just checked out some documents online from the lawsuit, and although it doesn't really affect me, I still like to go with companies that play nice.

Thanks for your reply!

Belinda

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

I haven't used the Ebosser, but after looking it up, I think it looks like a great machine!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I have a BigShot which I cut and emboss with; works great but just bought the Vagabond as it's electric and so powerful... I'm in love with it.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I have a Grand Calibur and I love it. However, I wanted the Spellbinders GRAND dies. I think that requires you have a Grand Calibur. Otherwise the other do a great job of cutting the Spellbinders dies.

I wouldn't worry about the lawsuit. The whole thing seems crazy to me. I've recently looked through the catalogs on line of Spellbinders competitors and I still overall like the Spellbinders dies the best. (KEY word overall).

It was obvious that the person that posted the docs from the lawsuit had signed up for an account here on Sb.com just to post that. Their agenda is obvious.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to CrimsonMama

I have BigKick (same as BigShot), Epic6 (which just died), and the eBosser. I absolutely love my BigKick/BigShot. It has really served me well the last couple of years It takes most of the dies and embossing folders on the market, except for the largest ones. The eBosser is newer. I've had it a little over a month now and I'm really enjoying it. I believe it can take all the dies and embossing folders currently on the market. It's electric and automatic so you just feed in your materials and let it go to work. I have found it very useful, especially on those painful days when my carpal tunnel flares up in my wrist. Craftwell (which makes the eBosser) is releasing 8 1/2x11 embossing folders to fit the 8 1/2x11 platform...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

I have a BigShot and love it! I use it for embossing and cutting. I love that it can cut lots of different materials, not just paper (which might be important if you decide to get into die cutting)....

As far as the lawsuit goes, I believe it is important because if they win (the appeal) and other companies cannot make dies, they have a monopoly. Monopolies IMO, are never a good thing. It stifles creativity, puts the price up and restricts the selection of products.
Even if you only want to buy Spellbinders, having other companies keeps the prices competitive and promotes variety and creativity......
Isn't that what Capitolism is all about?

Alison

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

I'm definitely for variety....after all, we don't all have the same taste in designs!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics