Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Just stories        (Topic#1582771)
Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

How do you scrapbook stories of your life that doesn't have pictures. And how do you make it look nice? I want to scrap memories that there aren't any pictures of and I don't know how to do it.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Lunareclipse

I will be doing some writing for a ancestry book, it will have some photos but it will also have pages that will just be journaling. I will use 8.5x12 papers and still use my die cutting, stamping, punches, to make it look attractive. Does that make sense?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 11-19-12 03:57 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

Check out Henri's gallery for examples... she has quite a few "journaling only" layouts that don't have pics.

Veteran
In response to Vae

I did a LO for 9-11.....there were no pictures just journalling and patriotic embellishments.

samaclean
Tenant
samaclean
In response to brightbeginnings

My brothers and I often have different memories of the same event from our childhood. There are often no pictures of the stories we tell. When something comes up that we talk about how it happened I make a page in an 8x8 album that tells each one of our perspectives in the story. Typically our mom will also fill in pieces, or correct the "facts" as she remembers as well. It has ended up being a book of stories only, sometimes drawings, of our childhoods. I usually have to chase this book because all 3 of my brothers run off with it!

The lack of pictures does not seem to be an issue. We all enjoy it anyway. Sometimes mom will run across a photo that fits the situation or timeframe, but rarely.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to samaclean

There was a whole topic about this a few months ago, here, where people shared perspectives on the kinds of things they scrap without pictures, and why, and how they do it: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15806...

Agree with Jarvae, Henri Jean's gallery is full of layouts that tell stories without pictures.

Here are a couple of my own layouts that tell stories which didn't have anything to take pictures of that would have helped tell the story:

Washington DC 2012 - Page 2 - Road Trip (page 1) By Aquabunny

Hawaii 2010 - Page 2 - The Backstory By Aquabunny

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to aquabunny

Thank you guys. I love those layouts. Henri's layouts for journaling are awesome.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

You can always check the internet for photos of topics, generic, free ones....

If you want to do the topic totally free of photos, just think of your journalling (matted) as your photo and decorate around it....

Alison

KellyDee
Tenant
KellyDee
In response to kiyawinn

Lots of journalling and go over the top with embellishments, themed ones if available.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KellyDee

Thanks for the mention Jarvae and Aqua - very thoughtful of you. Some things just don't have photos to go with them. Thank you for the compliment Lunareclipse!

Most of the things I scrap without photos are humorous family stories, mostly involving my husband. We get into - or I should say he gets into situations that can be hilarous.

If you go into my gallery there is an album called, "funny stories" and those are just humorous stories, almost all without photos.

I'll find a few and post them.

Bill's Frog By Henri Jean

Hey..... By Henri Jean

Cruise Ship Leper Colony By Henri Jean

Karl, That's not funny! By Henri Jean

Valentine's Day 2012 By Henri Jean

Set Your Clocks Forward, Set Your Clocks Back By Henri Jean

Veteran's Day on the Ship - Right Side By Henri Jean

Veteran's Day on the Ship - Left Side By Henri Jean

Baby Sea Turtles - Left By Henri Jean

Baby Sea Turtles Right By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Aqua - I wish my handwriting or printing was better - I would love to put my handwriting on my pages but its just too awful! I like that you do your own handwriting!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

Thank you Henri for posting your journaling! Your stories are funny. I journaled my toe a while back, but I had pictures of it. I want to journal about buster when he was a puppy and he peed on my senior saint bernard and she got irate and I had to pry Buster's head from her mouth and he was yiping really loud the whole time. But I don't have pics of it. I suppose I could just put baby buster pics and sammie pics so people have an idea of their size at the time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Definitely - pictures of them taken about that time would work great!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Also I like to find clipart to print, fussy cut it and add some bling, using it to illustrate my journaling. Sometimes I totally exaggerate the clipart to grab attention so people will stop and read the writing. If you print it three times and pop-dot the layers,it's as good as what you buy pre-made for $$$. Your idea for using photos from that time is good also. I've noticed that often people tend to kind of pass over pages that are all journaling, but a picture gets their attention and draws them into the story.~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

A good title will help draw them in sometimes too.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
Also I like to find clipart to print, fussy cut it and add some bling, using it to illustrate my journaling. Sometimes I totally exaggerate the clipart to grab attention so people will stop and read the writing. If you print it three times and pop-dot the layers,it's as good as what you buy pre-made for $$$. Your idea for using photos from that time is good also. I've noticed that often people tend to kind of pass over pages that are all journaling, but a picture gets their attention and draws them into the story.~Judy

What is a clipart?

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

• Henri Jean Said:
A good title will help draw them in sometimes too.

I need to work on the title thing. I'm not very good at coming up with titles.

Diva

I do so, and I will use embelishments or related stickers, flowers, ribbon, etc.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Lunareclipse Said:

What is a clipart?

... what. Are you serious, or are you actually trying to boggle my mind?

Sweetie, clip art isn't some new special scrapbooking-specific term. It's so ubiquitous that I'm actually having trouble defining it without using it in the definition. Like, I can't even think of synonyms for it, and neither can any number of online thesauruses (theasauri?). Let me give this a shot. Clip art is pre-made images or illustrations, originally referring to literally cutting images from a sheet and taping or pasting them in place on the original of a printed publication, and computer-based clip art has been a thing for literally about thirty years, first largely in collections like ClickArt (dating back to 1984), then bundled with desktop publishing programs (like Printmaster and PageMaker), and these days as individual images available online. Have you really never used a desktop publishing program; have you really never used Microsoft Word and seen the Insert Clip Art option, which has been in that software since 1996?

For more information, and examples of the type of art clip art is, check out the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipart - or use Google Image Search to search for the term clipart.

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to samaclean

• samaclean Said:
My brothers and I often have different memories of the same event from our childhood. There are often no pictures of the stories we tell. When something comes up that we talk about how it happened I make a page in an 8x8 album that tells each one of our perspectives in the story. Typically our mom will also fill in pieces, or correct the "facts" as she remembers as well. It has ended up being a book of stories only, sometimes drawings, of our childhoods. I usually have to chase this book because all 3 of my brothers run off with it!

The lack of pictures does not seem to be an issue. We all enjoy it anyway. Sometimes mom will run across a photo that fits the situation or timeframe, but rarely.

Oh my goodness that sounds like an awesome idea! I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters and we all have different perspectives too so this would be fun to do. Could you post pics of a couple pages maybe? I would love to get started on soemthing lie this!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics