Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Rant of the Day        (Topic#1582787)
ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I've leared to read the signs VERY carefully. There will be a 50% off sign......read it and it's really buy one, get one 50% off. Which is really 25% off. And if they have a sale on like that, you can't use your 40% off coupon.

They have had that up on MS punches an tools for a while.

One thing I've learned is that it takes quite a long time to acquire all of the tools and things you want to scrap...if you are buying smart and getting discount pricing.

I bought a MS punch a few weeks ago where they had the buy one get one at 50% off. I could only find 1 that I wanted ( and it was 1 I really wanted or I'd of skipped it) so I was gonna bite the bullet and pay full price (something I never, ever do!) so I pick something else out to use my 50% off coupon that I had, when the guy rang my stuff up, he said you saved $12.50 with your coupon. So it still let me use a coupon on that MS deal.
I guess maybe because I only bought the one? Either that or the computer wasn't programmed right.
I was pretty happy that I didn't have to pay full price, I never do that on punches!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to ChansGram

This again reminds me why I hate Michael's! I live and work near 4 different Michael's and the only thing consistent with them is the poor customer service! About 2 years ago, after several frustrating encounters in the stores, I decided that until they give their employees better training and have more consistency from store to store, I will not give them another dime of my hard earned money. I do not understand each individual store thinks they can set their own policies?!? They are a corporate entity and all store should abide by the policies and procedures as set by the corporate offices. I have complained in person and in emails to the corporate office, and it all fell on deaf ears. I'm not normally a rabble rouser, lol, but I think we should start a Michael's boycott!

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to chocolateaxel

Last Christmas I wanted to buy my daughter some Prisma art pencils. They did the same thing with the huge 50% off and in small, tiny little print buy one get one. So I get to the register and it rang up full price. They checked and explained it was bogo... I said no problem I have a 40% off coupon I'll just use that. The cashier told me I couldn't do that because it was part of a sale item. I said but I'm only buying one and you are charging me full price, so technically I'm not taking advantage of the sale. Why can't I use the coupon? She told me it was my choice not to take advantage of the sale (i.e. spend more money) so they wouldn't honor my coupon.

About the same time at HL I found a TH sizzix die that had THEIR own price sticker on it that said 11.99, I think it was the Umbrella Man. Anyway, I was so excited about the price. When they rang it up it came up 19.99 so I pointed out the sticker. Instead of just taking the sticker price she asked someone to go do a price check... all the others showed 19.99 so that's what they tried to charge me despite their price sticker. I asked to talk to the manager and he rudely told me that the price was 19.99, obviously one of the employees marked it wrong and if it was something I really wanted I would pay the 19.99. I walked out and left it on the counter.

I don't usually have issues at HL, but Ms gives me a problem just about every time I'm in there. Like others, I rarely shop there any more. I order online or go to HL or Js more than I do Ms. My Ms seems to have the same old stuff and doesn't get much new anyway.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Scrapingbliss

• Scrapingbliss Said:
About the same time at HL I found a TH sizzix die that had THEIR own price sticker on it that said 11.99, I think it was the Umbrella Man. Anyway, I was so excited about the price. When they rang it up it came up 19.99 so I pointed out the sticker.

Wait, it "rang up" as anything? Any time I've ever been there they just type in the price tag amounts manually and apply departmental discounts as necessary - their corporate fear of bar codes means I've never seen them scan anything nor in any other way seen a price come up through the cash register via a database.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 11-21-12 06:25 AM
In response to aquabunny

I think it really does depend on the stores and the district manager in that area. The M's here are all the same - they can't help you find a thing but when it comes to price, they are ALWAYS accommodating. If I see a sign even if it's expired they will honor it, based on my word. Most of the time they don't even send anyone to check until after they are done with my transaction, and I love that they don't make me wait.

Once I found a paper stack on clearance. It looked like it said 99 cents but it had actually been 8.99. But the cashier understood that the 8 wasn't really visible and so she just gave it to me for the 99 cents and had a big smile as she did, talking about what a great deal it was at that price.

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • Scrapingbliss Said:
About the same time at HL I found a TH sizzix die that had THEIR own price sticker on it that said 11.99, I think it was the Umbrella Man. Anyway, I was so excited about the price. When they rang it up it came up 19.99 so I pointed out the sticker.

Wait, it "rang up" as anything? Any time I've ever been there they just type in the price tag amounts manually and apply departmental discounts as necessary - their corporate fear of bar codes means I've never seen them scan anything nor in any other way seen a price come up through the cash register via a database.

It must have, it showed 19.99 in the register, that's why I questioned them to begin with. I don't maybe the cashier knew it was wrong from another transaction, who knows. All I know is that it came up with the wrong price on the register screen.

New Kid On the Block

I probably could have argued and been given the sale price. But at that point I just wanted to get out of there.

I have been at a grocery store where the price scanned in incorrectly and when I took my receipt to customer service they refunded the difference plus an additional amount as a "reward". I think that is the law here in Michigan - they have to refund you an additional amount as a penalty. I don't know how much it is. So I would imagine that the law would say something similar about honoring the advertised price.

I guess this just confirms why I prefer to buy online more than in these types of stores...

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to Sneezy1956

I had something similiar happen to me in a M's I had a cpn from J;s i was using that was 60% and i;ve used it before in the past no problem. anyway i go in to buy something have dd go thru and i go thru and they refuse to 1. not accept my cpn because my dd was already thru and 2 because it was 60% off cpn. even called the manager and she didnt want to ggive it to me either because both reasons. left an awful taste in my mouth for that m;s.

My m;s by my house will honor sale prices if sign is expired. i have to ask but they always do

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Crafty1997

I work in a grocery store- wrong scans are ALWAYS honored for free ( with the exception where prohibited by law e.g liquor,tabacco,lotto etc)
after checked to see why it rang wrong, were the items stocked wrong(stores fault), was 1 item placed back by a customer in the wrong spot(not stores fault)expired tag missed when pulling tags( stores fault)customer would then get the first of that item for free and any others of the same at the sale price.
If I ring Rome apples and they actually had Gala apples, they get them all for free, checkers fault, they're suppose to know how to do their job, know their codes.
All that being said, 99.9% of the time the customer is wrong!! of coarse in retail we are taught the customer is always right, so I always try to make them happy, we are not in the business to piss a customer off over a couple bucks. So if they are nice, I always try to give them what they thought they were getting if within reason.
I don't understand why M's has such a hard time with things. I guess maybe they get tired of us with our darn coupons!! But hey...they put them out- we're gonna use them!!

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae

This is good conversation and pertinent with Black Friday coming up - it frustrates me how companies are sending out ads and coupons but you need to go over them with a fine tooth comb as there are so many restrictions on days, times when they are good but they all appear together in the insert.

This past weekend JoAnns had a coupon 25% off all craft purchases but when we tried to use it we got nothing because none of the items were considered craft - I would have considered most of them craft - my question is how in the world are you supposed to tell what is craft and what isn't - they couldn't answer. It apparently was just what the computer acknowledged as such.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to ChansGram

I am NOT a fan of M's ... I've had issues with pricing there as well as coupon use ... once called Customer service from the store and they refused to accommodate me ... even though I told them I was prepared to leave over $100 of merchandise that was already rung up for me

they let me walk out ... and I've never gone back

I vote with my feet and my money ... I am happy to spend my scrappy dollars at stores that can treat a customer properly

Diva
In response to Sneezy1956

They should have honor the sales prices as it is their error. I have learn to be very careful with them. WHen in doubt I aske them to check the price first before I commit to buy it. I dont care if is extra work for them, but they many times have palyed the error in the sales announcement...so I make them check the price before I say yes.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to chocolateaxel

• chocolateaxel Said:
This again reminds me why I hate Michael's! I live and work near 4 different Michael's and the only thing consistent with them is the poor customer service! About 2 years ago, after several frustrating encounters in the stores, I decided that until they give their employees better training and have more consistency from store to store, I will not give them another dime of my hard earned money. I do not understand each individual store thinks they can set their own policies?!? They are a corporate entity and all store should abide by the policies and procedures as set by the corporate offices. I have complained in person and in emails to the corporate office, and it all fell on deaf ears. I'm not normally a rabble rouser, lol, but I think we should start a Michael's boycott!

Well said!

I agree with this 100%!!!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to bayamonesa1

It really depends on the store and on the manager. I'm lucky that my local M's had a good manager and always honors the sale signs that have not been taken down! They even honor the signs that are ambiguous - once I got 40% off on TH distress ink pads when the flyer said 40% off sale on all ink pads - but there was no sign on the TH shelf, only on the regular ink pads in another isle.
In Canada we have a law that states that if the item rings up higher than the price tag on the shelf, you get the item for free (up to $10, or $10 off if it's over 10). it does not apply to generic tags though, only to specific products. I got a huge refill bottle of soap once for free, because it rang 50cents higher than the shelf price)

Veteran
In response to OlesyaK.

Just to clarify a bit - that isn't a law OlesyaK - but there is a 'Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code' that stores can sign up with, which contain those rules. But even if the store does sign up - there is no guarantee they will, or have to honor it.(Marketplace did a story on this.)

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics