Username Post: Portrait vs. Cameo??        (Topic#1582795)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I really wanted a Cameo mostly to cut fonts from my computer but I'm sure I would probably end up cutting all kinds of stuff! I already have a BigShot to diecut and emboss & I love it.
Now, they've come out with the "Portrait" and the only difference I can really see is that it cuts
8 1/2 x 11 instead of 12x12.....If I'm mostly using it to cut my titles etc...do I really need the bigger one?
I'm trying to decide and I'm wondering if there is something I haven't thought of yet.....
The Portrait is $100. cheaper.....
Opinions?

Alison

Expert
In response to kiyawinn

What size CS & PP do you usually buy? If it's 12x12 then I'd go with the Cameo because it gets to be a PITA to have to cut down the paper. I had to do this all the time with the Silhouette SD before I got my Cameo and it drove me nuts!

Have you ever thought the SD card slot is a good feature to have? If so then go with the Cameo because the Portrait does not have one and HAS to be connected to a computer to cut. I don't use the SD card often, mostly at crops, but it's certainly handy because I don't always have room for my laptop next to my Cameo at a crop.

But I honestly can't recommend the Portrait because it's just so nice to have the extra 4 inches of cutting space (not because there's anything wrong with the machine itself, I just love the extra space). I realize you only plan to cut titles, but you just never know--you may love the cutting ability of the Portrait so much that you want to cut more and more things, but you will eventually get stuck because of the size. There were so many times with my SD that I got so frustrated because I couldn't cut bigger than 8" in both directions. Sure, I could cut 8x10 or 8x12, but I love being able to cut 12x12 because I love the look of a background cut with the same CS as my base CS...a very neat effect.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to HuskerMom98

Ok, I didn't really know about the SD card....that is a handy thing!
Yes, I pretty much only buy 12x12 cs but could purchase 8 1/2 x 11.....they sell it here and at my LSS...although, not sure about patterned papers...
I might like the idea of cutting a 12x12 background....
Hmmm, you've given me some things to think about!

Thanks,
Alison

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I love to cut fancy borders out of 12x12, then glue the middle in with a coordinating paper or cs. I did one with little musical notes cut out all over the border that was cut out. It took the Cricut (my 1st cutter) a long time to cut all those little notes out, but totally worth it!

Doing the border in one big piece makes the corners nice and neat. You can also make the pretty overlays that are so expensive to buy. I'd go for the 12x12...but that's the only size of scrapping I've done so far.~Judy

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to mrsdriver5

If you can afford the extra $100. go for the Cameo.
Mostly just to be able to cut the big background papers.
I don't mind using a smaller size paper, or having to cut down a 12x12 piece because I mostly use scraps for my cuts anyway.
So if money is not an issue, go for the bigger machine.

New Kid On the Block
In response to kiyawinn

I had this same question about a week ago. After deliberating and reading many posts about the two cutters I have decided on the Portrait, I think! I like that the machine itself is smaller, I don't need the SD slot because it will always be by my computer, I would most likely not cut 12x12 backgrounds because I think it would be very busy and I'm a simpler kinda scrapper, I can cut 8 x 12 on it and can them cut a 12" title if I wanted to, I like the price of the Portrait and Silhouette should have a nice deal on them on Black Friday. So for all of these reasons, I'm going to go with the Portrait. No need for the biggest and best for me for this machine. Good luck on your decision and most of all, have fun with it when you receive it!!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Susan C

So does anyone know of good deals on the Cameo for black Friday?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to SherylEb

Yes! Right here as a matter of fact...
I got an email that said the deal for Monday was going to be the cameo.....

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics