Username Post: Printing photos for a scrapbook        (Topic#1582815)
New Kid On the Block

I am having a really hard time here. I'm making a scrapbook for my sister-in-law as part of her Christmas gift. It's my first scrapbook, I feel totally overwhelmed, and ridiculously stressed out. Here is my current problem...I hoipe someone can help me. I have a group of photos I want to have printed, but I want to resize them. For example, if I printed to photo as is and cut off the parts I don't want, the remainder would be 3" x 6". What I would like is to have that section shrunk down (in scale) to 1.5" x 3". I have photoshop, but don't really know how to use it. I tried adjusting the canvas and image sizes, but I can't seem to get it to work. I need to upload the photos and have them printed somewhere. I tried to upload them to a couple places, but they all seem to offer the same crop option where it expands the picture to take up the extra space, I would like to crop out a section and have the rest print blank. Does that even make sense? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jenjuneh

I've used Picasa's collage feature to combine and scale down photos so that I can fit more than one photo per print.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

I took a quicklook at the picasa collage, but I think I need to be more specific with the image size. I guess I need to figure out how to use photoshop...

srichter
Resident
srichter
In response to jenjuneh

Hey there, I think this might help.

- Open photoshop and open the picture you want to resize

- Click on the Crop tool (it will look like this http://im.glogster.com/media/4/24/81/37/2481 3701.jpg)

- When you click the crop tool a toolbar will appear, usually at the top of the page (it will look like this http://digmeeting.com/crop-options.gif)

- in the width parameter type your width in inches like this (ie. 3 in)

- in the height parameter type your height in inches (ie. 4 in)

- put the resolution you want your photo to be. I play with this a bit to get a good quality photo but I average around 120

- then, take your crop tool and use your mouse to draw the crop square on the photo you want to resize. The square will automatically proportion itself correctly, so you can adjust it on your photo so it only crops the part of the photo you want.

- when you are done, double click and it will crop your photo to the exact width and height you've specified - no math, no guess work

Here's a great youtube video on the technique. It uses pixel width and height dimensions instead of inches, and a 72 resolution because it's for the web, but the idea is the same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmPLNMMVOZE

Hope that helps

Edited by srichter on 11-22-12 06:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to srichter

If you can't figure out the sizing, why not just print out the photo, cut it and mat it on black paper?

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to srichter

• srichter Said:
Hey there, I think this might help.

- Open photoshop and open the picture you want to resize

- Click on the Crop tool (it will look like this http://im.glogster.com/media/4/24/81/37/2481 3701.jpg)

- When you click the crop tool a toolbar will appear, usually at the top of the page (it will look like this http://digmeeting.com/crop-options.gif)

- in the width parameter type your width in inches like this (ie. 3 in)

- in the height parameter type your height in inches (ie. 4 in)

- put the resolution you want your photo to be. I play with this a bit to get a good quality photo but I average around 120

- then, take your crop tool and use your mouse to draw the crop square on the photo you want to resize. The square will automatically proportion itself correctly, so you can adjust it on your photo so it only crops the part of the photo you want.

- when you are done, double click and it will crop your photo to the exact width and height you've specified - no math, no guess work

Here's a great youtube video on the technique. It uses pixel width and height dimensions instead of inches, and a 72 resolution because it's for the web, but the idea is the same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmPLNMMVOZE

Hope that helps

Thank you very much. Very clear instructions!!

veronicaskisses
Resident
veronicaskisses
In response to jenjuneh

I have the same problem. I tried using my printer and I don't like the quality of the picture. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to veronicaskisses

another tip is this: ALWAYS print on the same brand photo paper as your printer is. for some reason they come out a better image. i've tried using kodak paper in a hp printer and gotten not so good results, but when i use hp photo paper in a hp, the quality is much better... and if you want a clear image, print it as a resolution 300dpi or higher. (this is the minimum that pro's print at)

Diva
In response to flutterbye0419

Amazing tips. Thank you for sharing!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to bayamonesa1

If you want to resize the photo download PIXresizer. Its free and superdooper fantabulistically easy to use :-D

If you want to crop your photo and just print a certain area then use Windows Photo Gallery. Its free and comes with Windows already. Open the photo, click on FIX at the top of the window and click on CROP on the right side menu. Crop and apply. Click on FILE and save as a copy so that you can keep the original as well. Windows Photo Gallery is a life saver when you just want to do simple photo editing.

One more thing, I never use my printer. I use online printing companies like Snapfish and Shutterfly. There a lot more, of course. Most of them give you lots of free prints when you sign up, you only pay for the shipping. They also email you offers for more free prints. I usually wait for those emails and then I print like 100 photos at a time...lol The last time I printed 101 photos for less than $4.00 That would cost me A LOT MORE MONEY if I tried printing them with my printer.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Crafting Marfa

My experience shows there are a lot of online photo tools completely free. A quick search on google helps me most of the time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics