Username Post: Help        (Topic#1582827)
New Kid On the Block

I posted a question but can't find it . I'm ne to scrapbooking and need advice . I would like to may layouts using paper rolling , ripping , stitching but just can't seem to want to rip up my nice paper in fear of making a mess . I need some advice

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to chippena

Welcome! I have no idea if you'll find this post or not, but I'll try and answer.

First, you can find your post in your activity stream (click the My Place) tab at the upper right. You can also find it under Recent Topics at the moment. It's Thanksgiving in the States, so the board will probably be slow today, so your first post is still "recent".

As for your question, my best advice is to not be afraid of the mess. Scrapbooking gets messy and that is part of the fun. If you are afraid of ruining nice paper, then practice on scraps. Just play, experiment and have fun.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Luvmyfam

I felt the same way the first few times I did it but now I don't because you create things that are better by doing it. Nothing feels better than taking a great piece of paper that you love and using it/pieces of it to enhance your photos. It is the best of both-- great paper and great memories! I say just do it-- it will get easier!!!
I started out buying multiple sheets of the paper in case I messed up. That way I would have more. Now I don't worry about it because some of my best lo's come from mistakes I made initially. Necessity is the mother of invention! LOL!

New Kid On the Block
In response to terrihooper

Thanks ladies for replying.Much appreciated!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to chippena

i agree. i have only had this happen to me one time. that was recently when I got my first batch of specialty paper. I'm used to Die Cuts With a View and ColorBok so I have no problem with them, but they are MUCH cheaper than the quality stuff I got last week. I received Carta Bella's Merry and Bright Collection. it's so beautiful I just couldn't bring myself to using it. Then I got to a layout for my December Daily and the only paper I could find that would work was in that Pretty set I just got. So guess what... knowing that I have torn paper and cut it up timeless times, it wasn't too bad. I hated to destroy the paper, but in the end, it is making a beautiful album for my family to cherish. Scrapbooking paper and cardstock was made for us to destroy only to end up wtih beautiful creatoins. I would just practice on some cheaper paper such as the DCWV or Colorbok (something that you can replace by going to m's or walmart for under $20 a stack) and when you feel comfortable with the technique, then you can start really working with the more expensive stuff.

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L
In response to flutterbye0419

I understand your reluctance to rip up perfectly good paper, but once you've done it a few times, you'll be so pleased with the distressed technique that you will come to greatly enjoy it.
Perhaps the best way to start is to check out the gallery and find a distressed layout that you like, and copy some of the torn/distressed elements. Or you could tear up offcuts to create a layout. It may help to start with a sketch.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Wendy L

This is what I learned. There will always be more paper that you are going to love. In the years that I have been scrapping I can't tell you how many paper stacks have become my "new favorite". So use it up and if you ruin it you can always buy more.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics