Username Post: What to buy when new to scrapbooking???        (Topic#1582835)
New Kid On the Block

I'm still new to scrapbooking and I just realized I haven't signed on to this site since I last created my account back in January lol -

However, I have continued with this hobby since. I find myself attempting more cards because I can actually send those to family and friends.

I tend to get carried away when shopping...and I'm just a little leery about the larger items so I thought I'd seek some advice here.

I see embossing and die cutting machines like the Sizzix thing (the Pink one is cute). Do you think these machines are worth investing? If so, which ones do you recommend?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to alady818

I think the big shot is a great machine. I love mine. I did a blog post comparing the big shot to the big shot pro, if you are interested.
I scrapbook and make cards as well. Feel free to check out my projects on my blog.

New Kid On the Block
In response to binkiemonstermom

Thanks Michelle...I will check out your blogs.

What do you think about the Cameo (electronic cutter)?

Veteran
In response to alady818

My suggestion is a Xyron sticker maker.There are different sizes.The one I use the most are the personal sticker maker[the one that looks like an x]It makes it so much easier putting small things on pages and cards.

Edited by SHARON ELISE on 11-24-12 08:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to SHARON ELISE

I have never played with the cameo, basically because I don't always have access to my computer when I scrap.
I have a cricut and I like it, but I use every once in awhile.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to binkiemonstermom

I like my cameo it really good machine it cuts good beautiful cuts. I just had to play with it to figure out everything. But now have a handle on it.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to justartguy007

As one of the old timers on this site I'll tell you a bit of my story and you can take from it whatever you want.

I have scrapped alot since I "discovered" scrapping and joined this site over 8 years ago. By that I mean nearly every day for about 2 hour, with up to 10 hours a day on many weekends. (I have no kids so I tend to have more available time then some people.)

I do not and have never owned a Xyron, although I see that it is probably useful. I finally bought an electronic cutter (a CraftRobo) about 3 years ago. I use it frequently and love it. Oddly, I bought a cuttlebug shortly AFTER getting the cutter. I love that as well for embossing and using dies (which are usually quicker and easier then the Robo).

My best suggestion is to really think about what you want to do and how much you're able to spend. I think most people who stick with the hobby for any length of time find the machines to be worth the costs in the end.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to alady818

I have a Grand Calibur and love the Spellbinders dies more than any over all.

I use SB.com a lot to shop. I constantly review the gallery and when I see a LO that I love, I look for the products used. If it's something I'm interested in using or a technique I like, I put it my wishlist. Then I mull it over a bit. So far I've been pretty lucky to not purchase something I won't use.

Also, if you have questions about a particular product or technique, start a thread here. People are very generous in giving useful info and reviews.

New Kid On the Block
In response to SHARON ELISE

I did see those and they looked cute...

New Kid On the Block
In response to disneylisa

I agree...as soon as I was interested in Silhouette's Cameo...my interest left. I think I need to think about what I want to do before investing in something pricey...thank you for your input.

New Kid On the Block
In response to CrimsonMama

I have never heard of Grand Calibur nor the Spellbinders...lol. Now I can check out those websites/items. Thank you!

Yes, I have posted another question when I initially signed up for this site and people were very generous in helping.

New Kid On the Block
In response to alady818

Even if I didn't directly reply to your post - I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you for taking the time out and responding to help!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to alady818

It really depends on how much you have to spend. Any machine that you purchase you are going to have to buy accessories for in order to use it. Take your time and really research the different machines. I still haven't bought a big shot but I do have the little texture boutique that uses the embossing folders and I love it. I also have a cricut but its a larger investment.

Diva
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Agrre! Now that I have lots of stuff, I look more for tools and machines and I ask to myself if I really need it or not.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics