Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you print your photos?        (Topic#1582839)
Tenant

Hi all,
I've been printing my photos for my L/O's from Costco, but of course, the smallest size I can get is 4x6 (unless I want multiples by ordering wallet size). Most of the layouts I've seen on this site and in my mags have photos that are much smaller than 4x6. How do you get your photos printed in smaller sizes, or do you just crop? I have many beautiful close-up shots so cropping wouldn't work for the photos I want to use.
Thanks!

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to redfox78

I use Picasa to create 2-up collages and print them in 4x6. Then I just cut in half.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to LesleyC

I print most of mine myself, or just cut up old photos to get the size I want.

I really like the idea of creating collages and having them printed!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to kelseymel

Cropping works on some pictures and I use to do that but for the last few years I've just been printing them myself. Seems to work better for me to print them as I need them.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to olleharr

Do you have a home printer? I use Picasa to make collages of various size pictures, google picasa you can download free.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Mia1979

I have a professional printer my DH gave me last year for my birthday so I print all my own. I use Picture It! software. It is very old program but I love all the different sizes. I print one or two 3x5 or 4x6 then almost all the rest are 2x3. It really works for me and my style. I use multiple pics per layout and the 2x3 is a real favorite of mine.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to terrihooper

I have the same problem, but also recently discovered collages and my new batch of pictures have lots of them, so I have different sizes I can use.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to elsje2

I print everything at home, so I have more control over sizes, look, can get them when I need them, etc.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Tina scraps

I print pretty much all my photos at home. I have a Kodak all in one printer and love it. I print on Kodak paper. They all come out good prints at least in my opinon.

Justie

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to redfox78

Windows live photo gallery will allow you to print one wallet size or you can slected up to 9 different photos and print them wallet sized on a 8.5x11 photo paper.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

I also print at home mostly using Picasa or PSE 10 (which is new to me so sometimes I still use Picasa)....
However, if you don't want to print at home, you can print at Walmart. They do a decent job and you can pick 2 or 4 photos per 4x6 if you want...It's under "collages" on their menu.
They offer a pretty good selection of sizes for photos.

Alison

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to kiyawinn

I have used Walgreens too...put a few pics on a 4x6...and actually ended up not even cutting them apart for a project. I was really happy with the quality and the small size of the pics.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to ScrappinMom4

i normally use walgreens. i printed at walmart and was so unsatisfied, i took the same photo's and printed them again at walgreens to compare. walgreens prints a very crisp nice print, where as walmart was VERY discolored and muddy looking. these were professional photo's that i paid 130 to have taken, so i could have the print release to be able to print at my leisure, so they should have printed very good at walmart, but did not. never again will i trust them with my memories.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappinMom4

I use Walgreens but lately they are driving me crazy. You have to pull each picture up on the computer (I use the one in store) and line up where you want it which takes a lot of time which is okay.

I spent hour and hours in the store after our last trip and the computer crashed when they were printing them and we were on pins and needles to see if they could retrieve all the work I did. Fortunately they were able to save them but it took several days. And out of over 400 photos at least 35 or 40 did not print.

Then yesterday I sat for 2 hours preparing 110 pictures to be printed and their big photo printer crashed and they lost all my work. I got 40 of them before the printer crashed so I have about 70 pictures to go back and get ready to print.

If the machine breaks and they loose my photos again I have to find someone else to print for me.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

That sucks Henri, I just print mines at home on my Kodak all in one printer. It printss good quality prints from 4x6 up to 5x7 they print good 8x10 photos. In color but black and white printed 8 x 10 has little lines going acrocss them if you look close but if you look far away. It ok so if I want 8x10 black and white photos or anything bigger then 8x10. I'll go to staples and have them print them out. I haven't had them print out photo since my color photography class. I loved how it came out. Now if I use them again I'll just sent it online and you get email from them when your order ready to be pick. I haven't had anything that need printed. But will know who to go to if I need a print.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

I have a HP all-in-one laser printer which I love but I've never tried photos on it.

Okay - I did an entire album on California and most of it was on the stars on Hollywood blvd. I took pictures of the stars and did a collage on each page with the star, a bio on the person and loads of pictures throughout their careers.

I wasn't picky about the photos on that one so I actually printed them on white cardstock which worked fine on that project. In fact it really came out awesome.

But if I got real Kodak I might be able to use my laser printer. Do you think? It is an excellent quality. I hate to buy another printer.

By dream item now is a nice flatbed scanner that will scan 12 x 12's.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I've just started using Persnickety Prints. They print specifically for scrapbooks, and have many awesome sizes.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

My Kodak printer is a inkjet 3250 all in one printer it prints regular printers, photos from 4x4 up to 8x10 and a scanner it good printer not too bad. I got it at Wal Mart when they were on sell. I wanted to find a printer that printed good quality photos. I had it for about three years now. Sometimes it acts up like I think every printer will do. But I only always use the Kodak paper to get the best quality photos. If I use other brands I read the directions to get the best quality printer. I want to get the new printer I think it called the Kodak Hero 7.1. It wireless that what I want a wireless printer. I like printing at home. It comes out good qulaity prints I can pick and choose at my own speed and time. It said that the photos will last for 100 years or more if you take care of them. Since they are printed with Kodak pigment ink. Which I hear makes your photos last longer then dye ink.

Justie

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to justartguy007

Henri, I have an HP all in one printer (inkjet) and I ended up buying a photo printer.....the prints you get on an all in one just don't compare to ones from a specific photo printer, IMO.
Try it, maybe you'll like them....a few sheets of paper won't matter just to try it. If you don't like them, you can continue to print at a store or buy a photo printer.
FYI, if you buy photo paper that is the same brand as your printer, you'll get better prints. If you skimp on the photo paper, you'll see a difference in the quality of your finished photos.....

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

Maybe I need to investigate a Kodak printer and paper. Like Justie said, I want my photos to last.

You confirmed it Alison, that the HP all-in-one probably isn't going to do as well as a printer like Justie suggested.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics