Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: What to do with these scraps?        (Topic#1582873)
armygirl
Diva
armygirl

I have always saved all my scraps of paper. Cardstock in all colors and all my pattern paper scraps. But as I was cleaning up my Scraproom last night, I reallized that even though I always try to use from my scrap box first, I have alot of it.
Some months ago I punched flowers from all my cardstock scrap and made layered flowers, but I dont want to do that again.

I need your help///Opinion
What can I do with all my scraps.
what size scrap is too small to save?
And are the scraps worth saving?

Looking forward to your comments/advice

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 11-25-12 05:02 AM
In response to armygirl

I used to every single piece of scrap. It was stupid crazy. then I realized keeping a 2" x 2" piece of pattern paper, just that one piece was ridiculous. Same with card stock. So I cleaned out everything and got rid of every scrap that wasn't at least big enough to mount a 4x6 picture on. And if it was pattern paper it has to at least half a sheet.

I think most of us scrappers tend to be hoarders, by that I mean we think we must keep and use everything. Then before we know it we are so overwhelmed with scraps we can't scrap!! If I have some scraps from a page a did 4 years ago, I'm probably not going to use them.

That's my insight on this ever growing epidemic!!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KimKV

Up until the past year or two, I threw out pretty much all scraps. I have too much stuff (in general, not just scrappy) in our apt, to worry about bits and pieces of things, I just couldn't deal with it. I recently started keeping patterned scraps in one folder, cardstock in another. I did just throw them all out recently, since they were accumulating faster than I used them, and decided to just start a new batch.

Usually it has to be about a third of the page left for me to bother keeping it, though I do sometimes save smaller pieces since I also make cards and ATCs. depends on how much I like the paper

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Tina scraps

I recently dove into my box of scraps and made my own "kits" from them. I challenged myself to only use those pieces and a 12x12 base sheet for my layouts. I also got several cards out of them. When I got absolutely sick of the kit I was working with, I chucked the remaining pieces.

You can see some of my results here and here. (Not pimping my blog, just sharing if anyone's interested!)

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to kelseymel

I will say that I don't save every scrap I have. I must LOVE the paper to save it. If not, I make a pile and donate the scraps to my son's class. They love getting scraps.
Even doing that, I have tons of scraps! I do challenge myself to use ONLY scraps somedays. I have done layouts with strips across the page of different papers. Uses up scraps. Patch work layouts are a good use of scraps. I have the tasteful trims die from stampin' up, I use it to die cut strips to use as borders and accents with scraps as well!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to kelseymel

Melissa great stuff on your blog. Thank you for sharing.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I save pretty much all scraps - even some of the tiniest stuff can be used to cut letters or other small shapes with my Big Shot.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I have a container that is about 2' x 2' and about 1 1/2 feet high. Since I scrap about 400 pages a year it gets full very quickly.

Last time I gave it all to a friend who makes cards and it is nearly full again.

I love Bonnie's (sbartist) system for keeping scraps but I have too much for any logical system to work for me.

I may take it all to the next crop and let everyone have what they want - I'm just not sure.

I keep thinking I will use it with the Big Shot and I do but for every piece of scrap I use with the Big Shot I add 10 more from scrapping.

I'm drowning in a sea of scraps.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

I have a plastic Iris type container that i throw all my scraps into. I keep anything that is big enough to use a punch on. If it's really small, I shred it (my son loves shredding old paper!)

The box is pretty full now, maybe room for a bit more.....My rule is that when it's full, I either use it (make some cards or something) or shred it! One thing I use scraps for a lot is to make banners, tags etc. that are so popular now. I also diecut generic shapes to place under other embellishments...circles, pinking circles, scallops etc....
I won't keep more than the container can hold....

Melissa, love the that first layout and card you made with scraps!

Alison

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to kiyawinn

Punched out shapes/mini diecuts & cards are my main 2.

Tags, as well.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

what do you do with the scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

excess scraps

Veteran
In response to KellyCali

I think the trick is figuring out a system where you will actually use them. That way it doesn't just become a hoard of scraps that never get used and continue to grow and grow.

I have found that carrying one of those 2 gallon ziploc bags in my scrapping stuff makes me use them more since I don't do as much scrapping at home as I would like. I also don't keep them if they are less than 3 inches by 3 inches. For the long strips I figured out over time what I would actually use. I am getting better at using them, but it has definitely been a long process.

A couple of times I have taken the whole bin and just dumped it. While I hated feeling wasteful, it felt good to start over fresh.

Hope that helps.

Veteran
In response to GAKropper

I'm a CTMH consultant so I mainly use our brand of cardstock. That makes it a lot easier. I have a box of scraps and when I need a smaller piece of cardstock I try to go to my scrapbox. They still add up though!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to GAKropper

I have 12x12 boxes I use to divide embellies by subject or product type. One is for scraps. Inside that, I have a small box that I put smaller unused die cuts in.

Each time I start a LO, I pick the photo(s), then the paper including going to that box to see if there is any paper that might work in the LO.

I love having a piece that I can use to mat a photo or create an embellie with and not use a new pristine piece.....if it is as suitable to the LO as anything else in my inventory.
Products Referenced in This Post:

ttownsend
Tenant
ttownsend
In response to CrimsonMama

Found this over the weekend.....hoping to give it a try myself!

http://thermoweb.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/happy-2012 /

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to ttownsend

that's a great idea!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CrimsonMama

I like to cut strips different widths of patterned paper then glue them to scraps of card stock 6 x 6 and make my own 6 x 6 papers. Do one that's all blues or all reds and make pretty papers to use for cards and layouts.

You can also take the strips and weave them and make a weaved photo mat or even make it a background.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Sneezy1956

I cut mine to 1 or 2 x 12's and 4.5 x 6.5's. If they are smaller than that, they go in the trash.

ozmagi
ozmagi 
Queen
ozmagi
In response to 950nancy

i start with a layout and the rest of the scrap i use straied away for a card or 2 till all the scrap is gone.so i dont have any more scrap hills....lol... but this way i got lots of cards done as well. . good luck to find your way... hugs magi

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-26-12 03:58 AM
In response to ozmagi

I work mostly with paper groups so I keep all the scraps of the pp and any coordinating cs together with the group. When the group is used up I generally toss the scraps of pp unless they are a good size and then any good size pieces of the cs go into a tote with others.
Usually the scrapping happens at my house so all my friends know to look in the tote for any scraps they need.

I love that idea from the Thermoweb site. Gotta try that.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics