Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Dislike Christmas?        (Topic#1582903)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Just curious....
Does anyone else out there dislike Christmas?
Actually I dislike the holidays in general... but mostly this time of year: "Halloween" "Thanksgiving" and "Christmas".
I generally get really, really sad and depressed this time of year and have to struggle to find my "happy" until the New Year.
I have bursts of happiness of holiday related things like my Snoopy/Peanuts decorations, creating Holiday Layouts...for example, but overall I just would rather skip the holidays altogether. This year I am going to attempt to create a December Daily to hopefully lift my spirits and enjoy the season more...

Comments?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Doreena

I really & truly from the bottom of my heart hope you can scrounge up some happy this holiday season and enjoy it. Don't fake it, and don't do it for anyone other than yourself. (Because even kids know when you're faking it.)

I love Christmas. I just wish it was in July because I despise cold weather.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-26-12 01:52 PM
In response to kelseymel

Ahhh Doreena - I know how you feel. I don't despise it but for those of us with mood issues it is a really tough time of year.

I think that is a great idea to do the daily. Maybe each day find one little thing you like or have loved or a great memory to focus on.

Just don't force yourself though - makes it worse.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to GMFTS

Well scrapping makes me happy... and as I said, I find little "bursts of happiness" here and there...so I'm thinking the December Daily will help me find/realize more of the happiness of the season.
I do suffer from depression and I wonder if that's why it makes me unhappy...because other than that, I really have no reason to dislike this time of year.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I really & truly form the bottom of my heart hope you can scrounge up some happy this holiday season and enjoy it. Don't fake it, and don't do it for anyone other than yourself. (Because even kids know when you're faking it.)

I love Christmas. I just wish it was in July because I despise cold weather.

Thanks, friend!
And I don't fake it for my kids... they know I don't like Christmas...my nickname is "the Grinch" LOL! but it doesn't seem to bother them. The person who is most bothered by it is my husband. He LOVES Christmas (and holidays in general)! So I try for him, but it's really difficult!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-26-12 02:08 PM
In response to Doreena

I used to not like the holidays, but it had everything to do with past family and relationship issues. However, since I met my husband, it's my favorite time of year, we LOVE sharing the holidays together, and we spend christmas all by ourselves, very romantic.

And this year I'm also helped by my new friend, Zoloft. Depression is a chemical imbalance, like an infection, and I'm so happy (literally, haha!! ) to have found a way to correct it.

Hugs!! I hope you can find joy in the season, or at least a peaceful course through it.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Doreena

Do you really hate "the holidays" or could it be that since you suffer from depression you also suffer from the depression disorder that affects some people during this time of year? I think it's called S.A.D.D, but I can't remember what it stands for, something like seasonal something depression disorder. It affects people this time of year because it gets dark earlier and the weather is less than ideal for some tastes. Personally, I adore cold weather, and the weeks right before Thanksgiving up through the new year are my favorite time of the year. I seem to get totally energized and get so much done. My worst time of the year is from the end of May through the summer, I get sluggish, have no energy and no desire to do anything more than go to work and back home. We all seem to have certain times of the year that are harder than others, maybe due to weather, memories or holiday stresses. All we can do is get through the tough times and fully enjoy the good times. I wish you the best through the next few weeks!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to chocolateaxel

• chocolateaxel Said:
Do you really hate "the holidays" or could it be that since you suffer from depression you also suffer from the depression disorder that affects some people during this time of year? I think it's called S.A.D.D, but I can't remember what it stands for, something like seasonal something depression disorder. It affects people this time of year because it gets dark earlier and the weather is less than ideal for some tastes. Personally, I adore cold weather, and the weeks right before Thanksgiving up through the new year are my favorite time of the year. I seem to get totally energized and get so much done. My worst time of the year is from the end of May through the summer, I get sluggish, have no energy and no desire to do anything more than go to work and back home. We all seem to have certain times of the year that are harder than others, maybe due to weather, memories or holiday stresses. All we can do is get through the tough times and fully enjoy the good times. I wish you the best through the next few weeks!

It's SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I have to fight it with all the strength I can muster.

I NEED sunshine like I need air to breathe. It's almost dark as I sit here and it's only 5:41 pm. My dh goes to work in the dark and gets home in the dark and I hate it!

I much prefer summer when it's light out until 9pm.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

Oh wow!
Thanks for the info ladies!

Melissa -
Thanks especially for the link...
That info had my name written all over it! Yikes!

Unfortunately, since i am already on meds I do't really think there is much more i can do except tough it out...

But thanks so much for your well-wishes, everyone!

Edited by Doreena on 11-26-12 02:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Doreena

Doreena - besides meds, some people with SAD get some kind of special indoor light (maybe the link mentioned earlier has info) to help. Don't know if it's effective or not, but may be worth looking into.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to kelseymel

Lol, at least I was close with the name of the disorder, thanks for clearing that up, Melissa. It's so interesting to me how different everybody is. I could probably go the rest of my life without sunshine, and so many of my friends get all bent if we have one cloudy day. And while I'm at my best in the coldest weather, most of my friends are either grouchy or looking for a way to hibernate if the temp drops below 80.
Like many people, I am on an antidepressant, and I can attest that depression is a very real physical malady, a chemical disorder which manifests itself in many different ways in different people.
The special light that many people use in winter to mimic sunshine is reported to be very helpful, I wish there was an equivalent apparatus to mimic cold cloudy days for me, lol.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to chocolateaxel

Hmmm... a light?
I will have to check into that...

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Hmmm... a light?
I will have to check into that...

I was going to mention SAD, and I've heard of the lights too. Some people say it even helps to keep the Christmas tree lit all the time. I wonder if an ott-lite would help. You know, because that would work double-duty then. Seriously though, my mom gets the same way during winter (although not severe) and so I feel for you!

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Awh:( Hugs, my friend. I normally like the holiday season, but find myself really sad this year because my husband is deploying once again. So scrapping, swaps, and challenges are keeping me busy and creating makes me happy:) And meeting new friends on this site makes me happier.

Edited by arteshamac on 11-26-12 05:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to arteshamac

Awww...Artesha that stinks!!!!
How long will he be gone??

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Only 9 months this time, but I am really anxious. He got injured in Iraq in 2007.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac

So I keep it together by taking care of the kids and doing what I love in my free time(when I get it)...I create and it makes me happy and occupies my mind.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Doreena

my two cents

1) I hate the holiday stress.
There is a lot of pressure... to buy the right gifts, spend $$$, decorate, throw fabulous parties/dinners, attend fabulous parties/dinners. And attending work functions for me is particularly stressful. I really took the seating arrangement personally at a company Christmas party, when I didn't even make it into the main room. Sure was fun explaining why I was at a table in the hallway as people passed to go smoke.

2) unrealistic expectations
I just don't have the family, decorations, talent, money, etc. to have a movie perfect, "dream" Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. Everything I do will always pale by comparison. And if I wait to get invited to someone's elses efforts I am in store for an even larger disappointment. I can't expect others to meet my holiday expectations.

I may look negative/depressed too but I am speaking honestly so you know you are not alone.

The holidays are tough sometimes especially for people who are alone. I have done my share of voluteering and holding parties and it just doesn't fill that void.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Gelidy Gelato

And I pray a lot...

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I didn't think SAD was an issue for me, until I left work 2 days last week BEFORE it was dark. I was so happy for the wee bit of daylight that I had. I was practically giddy this last weekend with all of the sunshine we had.

The holidays used to depress me, mostly because of past family experiences. One year I was forced to listen to holiday music, and before I knew it, I was very happy. I wasn't surprised when our HMO started promoting listening to music to lift depression. Whenever I get in a mood, I listen to music, any music, and I generally feel better.

Artesha, thank your husband for us. And kudos for you for having to deal with the absence. Military families are amazing.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics