Username Post: How to keep scrapbook in good condition???        (Topic#1582931)
New Kid On the Block

I am really new to scrapbooking and lately i been wanting to make a scrapbook and was wondering on how to keep scrapbook in good condition. Any tips ???

For example if i make a scrapbook like the following :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MB1wpq_lg
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6U1AXsdBFQ

i feel like after many years the scrapbook wont keep its condition any more and maybe start to fall apart
i know i can just make the scrapbook and put it in page protectors but the draw back from that is you cant flip through everything .. for example u glue a pamphlet to a place u visit on a scrapbook page or glue an envelope and put ticket stubs in it ... after if u put that page in a page protector you cant flip through the pamphlet or take the ticket stubs out of the envelope anymore unless u take the page out of the protector

so im just wondering if there is anyways to make / have scrapbook like the example i showed but yet have it be kept in good condition just like if scrapbook was made with page put in page protector ?

or is it possible to have it made and put in page protectors but still be able to flip through everything ?

Edited by livia208 on 11-27-12 09:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to livia208

Hi and welcome!

I made a mini album a little like that 4 years ago, with no page protectors, designed to be handled. I was worried the same as you about it wearing and possibly getting damaged. But to be honest it has stood up really well. Only some adhesive has lost its sticky and I've had to glue it back on again. And over the years that's going to happen anyway - we worry about the paper, and stuff being acid-free, but in my experience the adhesive is the weakest link.

Most relatives/friends are only going to be looking through it once, and not in detail. And you're only going to be looking through it once a year or so, at most. Nearly all the wear is going to take place while it's being made. Unless you have small children or pets, you're pretty safe.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to livia208

I have a dog and dogs create dust...

For a 8x8 book I did for my brother, I purchased him one of those nice decorated boxes at M's to keep it in. I would do that for the type of book you are showing simply because it would be more difficult to dust.

I have recently purchased two chipboard albums that I want to decorate. I WISH that I had a sleeve to slip them in. (Don't know what that's called but similar to a magazine holder but fits completely around the album). I realize that might be a long shot to find something like that.

Maybe a box like I mentioned would help you? I know what you mean about all the pretty mini's people make, they are so delicate looking.

Diva
In response to CrimsonMama

Great tips. Mine are still in good condition. Very few, the adhesive did not stand in good condition. I had to put more tape/glue to redo some pages.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to bayamonesa1

I know some people cut slits in the page protectors and have interactive elements come out for people to use.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to Lamoo12

Yes Lamoo12 I did that but added an extra page. I cut the protector about 2/3rds along and intend to put ribbon down and fasten it that way.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to Besneys

I often wonder where people store their finished albums when you read that they have 20 or more. I have five which I keep in a box in my craft room. the grandkids love to look through them as they created a lot of the pages and they are very careful with them. I'm sure that if people look at your albums and see how much time and love has gone into them they'll be careful how they look at them too x

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-09-12 10:44 AM
In response to Besneys

I know that my grandma stores her albums in a wooden box. They are nearly 40 years old and still in a pretty good condition.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics