Username Post: Card making machine for my daughter?        (Topic#1582937)
New Kid On the Block

Hi, I have watched youtube videos and amazon reviews but am still very confused. I am looking to purchase a Christmas gift for my 8-year-old dd. She loves to make cards, envelops, and stamps. Is Bigshot such a machine?

I am not a crafty person and am very confused about how it's used. I will help dd to use it but I don't think I understand it myself.

Can it make cards/envelops as is? Or do I need other accessories?

Thank you!
Products Referenced in This Post:

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to helloscrapbook

The Big Shot is a die cutting machine. Basically, the machine can be used with various dies (sold separately) to cut shapes. It can also be used to dry emboss, using embossing folders (also sold separately). The machine is not something you can use on its own to make cards and envelopes.

Honestly, I'd suggest going to the local craft store (AC Moore, Michael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby) and buying the prepackaged blank cards. You can often get them on sale for half price, so it'd be $5 for pack of 25 blank cards with matching envelopes that she could decorate. Then you could buy her some pretty paper and stamps to use to make the cards. A fun kit could include:

A trimmer
scissors
adhesive
blank card forms and envelopes
various patterned papers and cardstock to match
stamps
ink
watercolor pencils or markers to color in the stamps
stickers or other embellishments

While I think that a Big Shot is a fabulous gift, it is an investment to get the dies for it and I'd tend towards more research before I spent on it. JMO!

New Kid On the Block
In response to siameseplease

Thank you Gina!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

If you want to make the cards and envelopes check out the MS Scoring Board.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to CrimsonMama

My opinion would be.........
Get her a Cuttlebug. There is nothing electronic to break and the cost of the embossing folders or dies would make them fun stocking stuffers, birthday treats, report card awards, etc. I teach 2nd grade and I have taken mine to school for the kids to use. They LOVE seeing the designs on paper. PLUS... it folds up compactly unlike the ones that have to sit flat all the time. I think her friends would enjoy it, too.

Diva
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I cote for Cuttelbug. Safe, not electrical and there is no way she can hurt her fingers.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to bayamonesa1

the other one i would vote for in this case is a XYRON. That way when she does her cards, the little intricate lettering can be made into a sticker for easy access to putting it on the card and she won't need to fight with adhesives to get them on there...

New Kid On the Block
In response to flutterbye0419

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to get the Cuttlebug for her to play with. Is there a starter kit with basic die cut or book that you guys recommend?

I am completely clueless but my daughter is pretty crafty. She can probably figure it out quicker than I do.

Thank you again!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

i don't know if there's a kit, i don't have the cuttlebug, but i do know you can go to youtube and look up tons of video's to help her learn to use it.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

If you have an AC Moores near you, they carry a Darice embossing folders, they will work in the cuttlebug and add texture to her cards....best prices, the folders are about $3.XX per folder!!!

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey
In response to binkiemonstermom

I throw my vote in for the Cuttlebug. It's the machine I usually recommend for young girls who are big into papercrafting.

I haven't seen a starter kit or books for the Cuttlebug. I do have one book Flower Power Papercrafts by Julie Hickey. She has a lot of Cuttlebug ideas in the book.

I agree with getting her lots of embossing folders. I would buy a few dies like flowers, basic shapes and some dies that are themes she likes such as animals. You can use the Sizzix and Cuttlebug dies in the machine.

I vote for a Xyron too because little girls love to make stickers. I am not a little girl any more and I still love to make stickers.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to lylacfey

i couldn't agree more lylacfey, the xyron was added to my christmas wish list, and if i get it, you will know by the amount of STICKERS i make that day LOL

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Did you get a Bug for your daughter?

Diva
In response to pinkpaperairedale

ASking the same question? what was your final decision?

New Kid On the Block

Well, I decided to get her something else for Christmas. I am still going to get her some heart shaped paper punches as stuffers. I really need to take her to the store to choose the die-cut machines as she's the one that will use it.

Thank you everyone for giving me great advice. Merry Christmas!

Diva

Good deal. I think is a great idea for her to be involved in the process. Have fun!

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 12-06-12 08:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

It might be hard to find a store that would demo. several types of machines. As an alternative, you could check on youtube for tutorials for a few different brands. Your daughter could watch the videos with you before choosing one. Just keep in mind that if you choose an electric one...You will need to purchase programs/ design cards, etc. which may cost 30 - 50 each. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics