Username Post: clueless cardmaking....        (Topic#1582961)
flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

I want to start makign a stash of them, but am CLUELESS as to where to begin. I've made a few here and there, but I've always done more of the scrapbooking than card making... are there any tips any of you could share for getting some done? i mean, do i go out and buy the pre cut cards and just embellish them or do i cut down my cardstock and make them all from scratch. If I do that, what size do i cut and how can i get envelopes to be the right size if i cut them myself? I am CLUELESS!

Diva
In response to flutterbye0419

YOur choice! I use 8 1/2 by 11 paper to make my own cards to share with others. It is inexpensive and you don't have to use the 12x12 paper. If you have the score thing from MS you can make your own envelopes, but my suggestion since you are starting buy th set with the envelopes so you don't have to do everything as new. You may also buy the box of envelopes from Wal-Mart so you can have the envelopes and then just make your cards. SOmetimes I will buy the cards from Michaels and just decoreate the top. Use scrap paper for decorations, stamped sentiments, etc. I love to use my Cuttlebug to emboss backgrounds, which dresses the cards very well. You can just ahve the cards and make the tops as you need them.

Drayia
Drayia 
Diva
Drayia
In response to bayamonesa1

Hi Dawn, I purchase the premade ones from Micheal's with my 40% coupon then I use my scraps to decorate them. Punching, embossing, die cuts, stamps etc. to add a little something to them. I tend to treat cards like a mini scrapbook page with no pictures If you scrap you can make cards. Check out the gallerys there are tons of ideas there, remember they do not have to be fancy start of easy and as you get more comfortable try different things

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Drayia

thanks ladies! i'll start working on some of these things... i almost caved and bought a set of FUN cards (blank to decorate) today at m's but didn't have a coupon so will wait til i go back since I now have a 40% off one

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I started by scrapbooking but I have gotten into card making. It is a great way to use up supplies. I find it very easy to make my own bases. And I prefer to make my own bases so that I can chose my colors. You bases need to be able to withhold your card up, good thick cardstock is a must. I use Stampin' Up cardstock.
There are so many options for making cards. You can use card sketches or you can create your own. You can have very detailed cards, or simple cards.
I make different cards thoughout the season, feel free to look over at my blog if you are interested.

I have an envelope die for my big shot pro. A commerical bought card is 5X7 (you cut a sheet down to 10X7" and score at the 5" mark). I also make size A6, A4, and A2 cards. A lot of people buy envelopes at AC Moores or Hobby Lobby with coupon. You can make your own envelopes by hand as well...you can youtube some videos on it. I can't give you directions on that because I SUCK at envelopes...that's why I bought the die!!!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to binkiemonstermom

thanks Michelle... I'll look at getting them premade... i don't have a bigshot, so I don't think making my own will work. My cricut only cuts 6 by 12, so that's another limitation... I think it's time to upgrade to the Cameo so I can do more... I am feeling that the Cricut is quite limiting, but I like it for making smaller projects... so for the time being, I'll have to buy some envelopes premade from the looks of it.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Only the big shot pro has enevelop dies that fit the bigger cards. But you can make cards with a score board, I am just not good with it.
But at the big box stores, envies are cheap with a coupon!!!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hi Dawn! Cardmaking is FUN! I like to use the business size envelopes and make a card to fun it. It gives more room for fun things...I like to use buttons or brads to make flower centers on stamped flowers and make like a garden scene, fill in with a green pen or stickles some grass, then put the sentiment at the top with maybe a sun or clowns, a bird brad or stamped birds flying. I am big on stamping in my scrap books and cards too. I love to to the scenes then add brads, buttons, ribbons to finish it off! Just try experimenting with the supplies you have and I bet you can come up with some great cards I can be addictive and I find time goes by way to fast when I am making cards!
I have also gotten card envelopes from card shops. Yes you have to measure different sizes then normal to make a card for them but when it is a super great event you are making a card for like a Birthday, Graduation= I can think of so many! But it makes more cardmaking fun to match blank cards with the envelopes so you can create the card when you are ready. But just a thought to watch for them after a holiday at the card shops...some even GIVE them away! This conversation makes me want to make some cards but I have to finish making dinner
HAVE FUN!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to catzscrapper

either or

sizes that are pretty standard are
A2=8.5x11 cut in two and each piece folded to make 2 A2 cards,,,

6x6 or 5.5x5.5

5x7

I make all those sizes,,,,,,,

the square envelopes are more expensive, for some reason, so I make a lot of A2 cards,,,,,Walmart has boxes of "invitation size" envies that these fit in nicely, with a bit of room for embellishments, etc,,,,,,,

and I also buy clear plastic envelopes that are better for larger embellies on EBAY.

the one tip I could give anyone who's used to scrapping and wants to get into cardmaking is this,,,

it's only a small LO without a picture,,,,,use something else as a focal point,,,,a stamp, an image, a grouping of flowers. whatever,,,just treat it as a tiny LO and you'll make gorgeous cards

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to CommaHolly

thanks ladies! i'll take it all into consideration.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics