Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Needless worry?        (Topic#1583011)
New Kid On the Block

Am I the only person who worries about posting photos (the photos within layouts) online? Basically they are open to anyone to view. Am I overly worried that some creep will be able to target my family somehow? I don't even know how they'd do that but the criminals seem to be able to figure out ways to do these things. Just wondering if I'm being a Nervous Nellie.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to Crafty1997

I worry about the same thing. I know that if I put my sb id into google, some of my layouts do come up in the search. it bugs me.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to rubymillerand

I figure the criminals that really want to can find your photos anyway. Through Facebook, twitter, or even someone else's who has a photo of your family. If they want it bad enough, they will find it. I don't worry too much about it. The places I go don't have too many strange lurkers around. Hopefully.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to rubymillerand

No, i was thinking about the same thing too. I have a facebook account just for my hobbies and a few friends, i closed down my original account and removed all my pictures. I dont even have pictures on my new page.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Mia1979

Mia, once it's public on facebook, it remains public within google even if you delete it.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Food for thought...
I posted some photos I took on Pinterest. Few months later I see my photo combined with others in a collage. Of course no credit what so ever. Now am I upset about it...not really. I knew if I posted it it could get ripped off and used elsewhere. But I wasn't happy to see it, which surprised me, I thought I would be flattered.

So what is the point of this long winded post, if you value your privacy, don't post your stuff. While it would seem to be low risk, anyone can grab your images and used them. It can even be people you know. BUT The chances of it happening are low.

Typically what can happen is your pages gets reposted for whatever reason...Family member wants to brag, the parent of a friend who happens to be in a photo wants to brag, someone wants to use your page to illustrate something, BUT the risk is very low.

I think it's one of those things that you don't know how you will feel about "coming across your images elsewhere" until it actually happens. If you think it will wig you out then don't post the really personal stuff.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Every layout I do gets posted friends-only on Facebook; considerably fewer get posted here, but that's pretty much just because I'm lazy. I'm not particularly worried about creepsters because there are no children in my layouts and often there aren't any people at all in them.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to aquabunny

i make sure that all license plates are blurred and i keep the names vague (like DS1 instead of his name). that way if someone reallllly wanted to come after me, they have to work for it.

Edited by Lamoo12 on 12-01-12 06:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lamoo12

I'm sure my last name has appeared in a layout from time to time but that has to be rare.

Only my husband, my adult son and I live in Florida. The rest of my family lives over many states and their last names are different than mine. Even my sons have my first husband's last name so they would be very difficult to find.

If anyone wanted to stalk my family or do harm, they would have better luck just picking them out at McDonalds randomly or at the mall.

One friend of mine was stalked and it was physical and cyber stalking. But it was work related - she was not chosen becuase of her layouts. He downloaded the layouts becuase he was stalking her. And the person was arrested and is currently in jail.

What creeps me out is the "Track your Friends" app on the smartphones. That has potential of causing trouble. For example, Bill has an attractive 30 year old daughter. If someone were interested in victimizing her, all they would have to do is steal his cell phone and they know exactly where she is every minute.

I told Bill he could not track me. I'm honest and tell him where I am when I go somewhere and I don't want anyone who picks up his phone to be able to know exactly where I am. Very stupid.

He tracks his brother, my youngest son who is 35 becuase they think it is fun. He tracks his daughter and his nephew.

Also, I see so much in movies and on tv with phone cloning. I have no idea how accessible the equipment is to do that but what if his phone is cloned? Wouldn't that be the aps too? If so, then someone can track his daughter without even taking his phone and he would never know it.

Bill leaves his phone around everywhere - in restaurants I've even seen him put it on a charger and plug it in where he can't even see it. Anyone can pick it up and see where the people are on his list at any moment.

I think of all the parents who track their teenagers with that program. That is fine until someone else gets ahold of their phones and can track their teenager.

His friends ask me all the time, "Why can't Bill track you - what are you hiding?" I just tell them, "if Bill can track me, so can anyone who picks up his phone. No thank you."

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

Well, if it is a photo of a layout I've done (which is what mine are on here, in the gallery) then I'm not too worried. I have wondered about creeps but they can't really find me from what I've posted.....
However, if you post photos directly (photos taken with your phone) the GPS location is in the metadata of your photos, so I've been told. So someone who has access to the actual photo info could know where the photo was taken......

Alison

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to kiyawinn

I'm not worried at all. I have 3 huge dogs and a CCW license. Nothing to worry about here.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Lunareclipse

This is why I hide, and PM, people who post pics of kids who are undressed.

Do I have a problem with a nekkid bath pic? Nope. But knowing that inappropriate people troll for inappropriate things, and we can't STOP 'em...I encourage them to put those in a private, password protected album if they want to share them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Makes sense Megan. I wouldn't post one of my granddaughter taking a bath or in any way nekkid. Just wouldn't.

New Kid On the Block

The only thing that really bums me out about this is that I feel like I can't enter challenges (or at least post my layouts for a challenge) because I don't want my photos included. I've thought of covering the photos or not putting them on the layout until after I photograph the layout but that takes away from the look of the layout. Does anyone out there not care that the photos are missing in layouts?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

There are two things about that - one of them is the idea of layouts that don't involve pictures in the first place (there's a whole challenge just for that, and I would guess layouts of that type can be submitted to other challenges as well, such as color challenges.

The second thing is that I've made and taken pictures of layouts that were intended to include photos but didn't have them when I took the picture, because they were gift albums, with the photos to be added later.

teresa0817
Expert
teresa0817

I worry about this too. I never post a LO of anyone without their permission. I scrap a lot of people besides my family. I also use last names a lot in journaling. Sometimes I will cut a small piece of paper to cover up any info I don't want people to see. I wouldn't mind photos not included in LO's. I couldn't do it because I usually cover the photo somehow with something....

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to teresa0817

Teresa, I've blurred out information as well, although those layouts are mostly just on my Facebook. I don't blur out my last name, but I do blur out addresses (even from several moves and fifteen years ago) (and it occurs to me that one might be wondering why there are addresses on layouts in the first place, but when I went through old memorabilia I decided to scrap my SAT and ACT results, which have addresses on them, and in some of those cases I also had to blur my social security number). I blurred the RSVP phone numbers and email addresses when I took pictures of some party invitations I made. When I scrapbooked about getting a new job and included a copy of the letter with the job offer, in my photos of the layout I blurred out the salary amount (though anyone who knows my name and where I work could easily find that out anyway as I'm a state employee and it's a matter of easily accessible public record).

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to aquabunny

It is frightening to think that there are pervs out there who do ogle kids but for every one of them I'm sure there must be millions who don't..if we were to be frightened of doing anything then surely the pervs have won....I've not put any "new" pix of my grands on.
My phone is so old that no-one wants to look at it never mind track it ( think that might go for me too haha) x

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Besneys

To me layouts just don't look right without a photo - they just look incomplete and not very interesting or warm but I don't see why the layout couldn't be completed up to the glue part and then another photo substituted that is okay to show just for the layout photo. Then when the photo is actually glued down then the real one could be put on.

A lot of time in layouts some artists will have the same photos used many times and I sometimes wonder if that is what they may be doing - using a "stand-in" photo for the layout picture and then putting in the actual picture of their child or grandchild or friends.

There was an entire thread several years ago (has it been that long ago, yep) about why some artists and designers use the same photos so many times and a lot of people didn't like it. I think in some cases they are stock photos so they can show off their layouts without revealing actual current photos of family members and friends.

But I just think they don't look right without a photo in the photo space.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

In this day and age, if someone wants to find you, they're going to find you. They're much more interested in watching kinds getting on and off school busses, riding their bikes alone, playing at the park. They want easy prey. I don't post last names or addresses, even cities on my layout. Of course, my grandkids have a different last name than I do and don't live in the same city, so maybe that's why I feel more secure. I don't stress about posting my layouts either, but I would never criticize anyone who chose not to post.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics