Username Post: Need Help from Elementary Teachers        (Topic#1583075)
NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

I have a job interview next week for a fourth grade position. I am very anxious because I have not taught in a public school in about 11 years. I have been working in a call center for two years and prior to that I taught in Catholic schools for several years.
The reason I am anxious is that I haven't interviewed for a teaching position in over 4 years. Since I haven’t taught in a public school in so long I am not familiar for with all the new teaching strategies and when they ask questions regarding them I get all flustered.
If you have suggestions on strategies I should read up on I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to NMlady

Haven't taught in 20+ years but, wanted to wish you good luck anyway!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to 2xblessed

Thank you blessed!

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to NMlady

Good luck Joy. I can't remember anything from my interview 3 years ago. Of course it's preschool and not a public school either.

I'd do a search and see if you could find anything.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to foltzy

Look up and be familiar with the state standards. If your state is adopting the common core standards, be familiar with those as well.

When I was on an interview panel, we asked questions like "what is the most recent book you read? What was it about?" And "if you have a disruptive child in your class, what is your policy in dealing with them?" Be prepared to talk about classroom policies. Late work, homework, who you plan to interact with parents (this is a BIGGIE in my district). Are you involved in the community you will be teaching in? That sort of stuff.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Seaexplore

Oh forgot- GOOD LUCK! Come back and tell us you nailed it!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Seaexplore

No words of wisdom but best of luck.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to corrie fan

BEST OF LUCK!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Just G

Thank you everyone.

Diva
In response to NMlady

Check the websites for the district and the school. They should have the academic plan posted.
Good luck!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to bayamonesa1

I'll let you all know how it goes.
One time I was asked about "scaffolding", yeah had no idea what that term meant, and actually think that some of the things that principal asked were to show the committee how out of date I was.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

I'm also not worried about benchmarks and standards. I'm worried about being asked about how I would use teaching techniques that I have no idea what they are talking about. Everything old has been given a new name is all, but I get flustered when I don't know what they mean.

scrapbookingteacher
Idol
scrapbookingteacher
In response to NMlady

Scaffolding is how much help you give students. For example if we are learning note taking, I start by writing all the notes and talk about why what i choose to write is important. In the next lesson I ask input from students to choose info for notes. Each time we work on the skill I do less and the students do more, until the students are doing the skill on their own. Individually I might be using several versions of note taking, some students doing all the notes, others filling in blanks, and some students receiving all the notes and highlighting them.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrapbookingteacher

• scrapbookingteacher Said:
Scaffolding is how much help you give students. For example if we are learning note taking, I start by writing all the notes and talk about why what i choose to write is important. In the next lesson I ask input from students to choose info for notes. Each time we work on the skill I do less and the students do more, until the students are doing the skill on their own. Individually I might be using several versions of note taking, some students doing all the notes, others filling in blanks, and some students receiving all the notes and highlighting them.

Thank you, that is the most brilliant explanation I have ever been given. All the research I had done previously didn't help as much as your explanation did!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

Unfortunately I received my rejection in the mail today.

scrapbookingteacher
Idol
scrapbookingteacher
In response to NMlady

Can you get your feet wet substitute teaching?

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrapbookingteacher

I subbed here for several years and it just is not steady or reliable enough to pay the bills, so I had to ger a full time job 2 years ago.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to NMlady

is it possible for you to audit some education courses? A lot changes in 4 years, you can get up to speed and find out what new requirements may be coming along.
I was also a sub for several years. I know its hard, but its worth sticking with since so often schools do hire from their sub lists.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

I'm so sorry.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics