Username Post: Newbie! Any tips?        (Topic#1583111)
aliy900
New Kid On the Block
aliy900

Hey everyone! So I'm completly new to scrapbooking and I was just wondering if people can give me any great tips with scrapbooking. What supplies should I buy? Recomend any good products? Anything would be great! Thanks :)

-Alicia Deana xoxo

Edited by aliy900 on 12-03-12 11:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to aliy900

first, i want to say, WELCOME to our little community! it's a great place to be!

go through the gallery. select some images to add to your favorites and try lifting them (by lifting i mean mimicking what the artist did) start simple and then tweak it until you find what you like.

m's offers classes, that might be a great starting point as well.

any questions, don't hesitate to ask! if you want to pm me, i would love to chat it up with you

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to flutterbye0419

I agree. Just check out our galleries here and find a style you like. You'll definitely need a paper trimmer, scissors, and photo splits or another adhesive. A lot of places sell scrapbooking kits which make it easy for you to choose your papers and embellishments. Have fun! It's a great hobby!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Check out the Resources tab at the top of this page - lots of good tips!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Here Kitty

Welcome!!! First tip: There are no rules!!! You can do anything you want to!!!
Enjoy but I caution you.....it is addicting!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to binkiemonstermom

My advice is not to run out and start buying stuff until you know what you like.

Everyone advised me to get some journaling pens. I never opened one and finally threw them all out after 5 years because I hate my handwriting. I like to type my journaling. But I didn't know that when I started. I took a great class at Archivers and an hour was spent on the different products with a lot of focus on pens so I thought I needed them. If you want to journal by hand - then buy some. If you are going to use the computer to type them in, then you will probably never use a journaling pen. I really wish I had a legible handwiring but I don't. I type.

Antother thing I constantly heard is stamps. I do not like stamping! I bought some only to find out I hated using them and so none of mine have ever been used. Other scrapbookers use stamps on the pages and they are beautiful!

One exception is a drippy one that I got a few months ago - really want to use that with some of the layouts of my granddaughter in her high chair. I absolutely love that one - a scrapbuddy ordered it custom for me and it will be used! Someone is going to show me how to emboss so I will use that one. The other stamps, I don't even know where they are. Nor do I know where any of the stamping supplies are becuase they have never been used.

Buy one stamp and see if you like stamping if you are inclined but don't collect them until you find out if you are going to use them.

There was a great thread here someone started recently about what people had bought and never used. It was amazing - so much that we all bought and never touched. Some things were never even taken out of the packaging.

Buy one bottle of glitter or stickles or one Twinkling H2O or anything else to see how you like it before you tons of it.

Buy papers you love, because you really love them. If they are on sale its a bonus but don't buy them just because they are on sale.

Fortunately I only bought 4 copics, maybe 5 because I've never opened any of them and its been years.

If I had it to over again I would have spent my money very differently. I rarely use stickers other than alphas so I wouldn't buy every cute sticker.

Like Michelle said, there are no rules. Create however you want, but I would advise you to try things before you "collect" them because if you don't, like most of us you will have a lot of things you paid for and will never use.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Henri Jean

Henri-- you bring up a great point. I had no clue what I was doing when I got into scrappin' and so did buy papers because they were on sale. Some of them in HUGE packs, but in the end, I used MOST of them because I had bought them. i found ways to distress them and make them work. But, I caution newbies to not make my mistakes!

find an adhesive that you love that is acid free. I personally LOVE the Pink ATG gun, but the refills, as most everyone knows, are quite expensive. I only buy them when I have a 50% off coupon.

and like Henri says, don't go crazy, buy 1 bottle of this or that and try it. With stickles, that's precisely what I did. I bought one bottle, and used it. when I loved the outcome, I went crazy buying them. I love the look of stickles.

Basically, do what you do and when you find something you love to do, that will help you to define your style. And if you notice that your style evolves over the years, don't freak! That's a good thing!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 12-05-12 06:06 AM

Hi Alicia & welcome to SB.com! Great advice given thus far!
If i can suggest anything it would be to visit the paper section of the store here at SB.com. Look at all the paper pack collections & jot down the name of the manufacturer of those that catch your eye! Then grab a cup of tea, coffee or glass of wine & visit the websites & blogs of the paper companies that your like! You can find inspiration from designers & other members of the companies forums! Its just a great way to get the mojo!
Dont rush a page, some of us are just slow scrappers! And by all means do not feel that others do so much better work-everyone has a different style...thank goodness!!
Scrapbookers are preserving today for those tomorrow- how cool is that?? Let the photo inspire you... that is the main reason to even pick up a piece of paper! All about the picture & what it means! So enjoy the ride & let your creativity flow!

Edited by Foamy on 12-05-12 06:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Foamy

Something else that helps me now - I start a wishlist or even a purchase list but don't submit it yet. A week or so later I look at it and it is amazing how many of the things I put in my cart - they just don't appeal to me anymore and I delete them.

Scrapbook.com is an awesome place to purchase things too - great customer service and they are fast with orders.

aliy900
New Kid On the Block
aliy900
In response to aliy900

Wow Thank you guys so much!!! I honestly didn't expect this great of a response. Everything that you guys said I did and will take in consideration. I did get a few things so far and very soon I'm going to start my first page! I'll post it up soon and please let me know how I did

Thank you guys again!!
Alicia
Friend me!

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to aliy900

Hey I'm also new to the site. I also agree with Henri Jean's advice about finding your own style before you rush out and buy everything I started doing the scrapbook pages and now I love making Cards and I am starting my first Mini journal. I have found a lot of tips here and youtube tutorials is another way to learn new techniques

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics