Username Post: What is this called?        (Topic#1583167)
c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-04-12 10:29 PM

My husband worked on some cheap scrapbooks. They are from Walmart and are about 14 x 14 inches. He'd like to get them bound as the books are not in the best of the shape. The pages are "bound" by two pieces of plastic that run through holes in the pages and connect. String runs through the holes (two per scrapbook). The plastic parts have broken and now it is just string holding the paper. They don't get much use so aren't too bad yet but you can't really look at them as they are w/o risking the paper tearing where the string holds the pages in the books. I went to several print shops in town and none could bind these scrapbooks as the pages are just too big for their machines. One place suggested going to Staples or someplace like that and getting several metal pieces to replace the plastic ones. The store could drill more holes in the paper and put the metal things through and they thought that would hold it together pretty well. Apparently the metal things screw together somehow. The person didn't know what they are are called. I have already been to Staples so would prefer if I go back that I have the name of the metal screw together parts. Anyone have an idea what they are called?
Thanks!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to c1908

You mean post extensions?
They sell them here if that is what you are looking for....

Alison

c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-04-12 11:16 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Those may work. The look like they would extend enough distance but is there something I could get to put/attach to the ends to keep them from just falling through the holes in the paper. Basically all we have is oversized paper w/ a couple holes in it, a cover for the front and back and string running through the holes.
It's some kind of screw, no? I would think I'd need a fat one (at least on the end). Something like this.. http://store.scrapbook.com/p-ps4.html

Is there just one size for these or do they vary at all? Thanks so much!!

c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-04-12 11:21 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Actually, this might work well as it is 2 inches.

http://store.scrapbook.com/wr-50047-6.html

Do you think it would pay to have a few more holes drilled in the scrapbook to make sure it will stay together or just go with the two holes?

Thanks.

Edited by c1908 on 12-04-12 11:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to c1908

If you look to get them at a hardware store, I believe the term you'll need is "Chicago screws". Because of the way they screw together, there would already be a wider part on both ends.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to aquabunny

Pioneer makes a great binding system called "Snapload Conversion Kit"...I have converted all my albums and so have all my scrapping group. It is so much better than having all those rickety post extenders when the album gets thick. They are easy to use and will work for just about any thickness...a friend did some almost three inches thick.

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 12-05-12 02:42 PM
In response to bigredssw

bigredssw is talking about these - in case you find them helpful
Products Referenced in This Post:

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to Kels

Thanks for posting the link, Kels....I don't know why but I didn't find it when I was posting.

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 12-05-12 03:16 PM
In response to bigredssw

No problem! Thank you for suggesting them I use them myself and LOVE them!

c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-05-12 04:36 PM
In response to Kels

Thanks for the idea but I don't think they will work in this case. These scrapbooks are literally the scrapbook pages, plastic screw things that are broken and 2 flat pieces of cardboard type material that are covered. I looked at a video re snap load and these aren't the same type scrapbooks. I do thank you for all the information.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to c1908

Maybe you could attach the actual pages into a better scrap book. Might take some work but it would all be preserved exactly as he had it. Just a thought.
There are also those little machines I think called Bind It All. I have one and have made several books with it. But you might investigate one of those. You can get wire bindings to work with the machine. I think that is the correct name for it.

c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-06-12 12:46 AM
In response to c1908

I ordered the supplies from here so will post again when I get it and put it all to use.

Thanks for the Bind it All idea. I watched a video on it and it looks too small for this project.

c1908 
New Kid On the Block
  • c1908 on 12-09-12 02:41 PM
In response to c1908

Got the supplies in the mail and it worked well. Thanks so much for all the assistance and ideas.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics